“foodforthought77”

Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Durham
North East England
“foodforthought77”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Reserved a table for Sunday lunch (17th August) Had difficulty doing so, as no-one wanted to pick up the telephone, However, after ringing back I eventually got a table. The hotel is a magnificent castle, and the bar area very quaint. We had a drink in the bar first and then went through to the restaurant, which was nowhere near full. Sunday lunch is £19.95 per person for 3 course and coffee. The menu is not advertised as it changes every week. My wife had red onion tart, and I had a mackeral starter in a fruit jus. Both were exceptionally tasty, well presented by a very efficient waiter. For main course my wife had a fish pie, which she found delicious, and I had lamb. Again my wife found the fish pie delicious, but I found the lamb to be very fatty, and by the time I had trimmed it there was very little lean meat to savour. We shared a Pecan pie with fresh fruit and ice cream for dessert, and it was very good. Washed down with a good bottle of Chilean Merlot, it made for an enjoyable lunch.I guess you have to ask why the restaurant was nowhere near full. It was impossible to fault the ambience of the restaurant, or the staff, and in the main the food, apart from my unusual cut of lamb. One little thing that cheapens the bar is the price of cocktails printed on an A4 sheet of paper, and pushed under the glass of the bar tables. Please print them on a nice card, which will stand up on the table. The total cost of our meal including the wine and a drink each in the bar came to £73.70.

1 Thank Foodforthought77

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (535)
  • Polish first
Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed here for just one night but were generally pleased with everything there.
The room was in the courtyard and we were on the first floor so our room was under the eaves. That made the ceiling quite low which wasn't really a huge problem for me but it would have been for anyone, like my husband, who is tall. Needless to say I got the eaves side of the bed.
There was no bedside table for me either which I didn't like as there was nowhere to put my glass of water.
The bathroom was probably the cleanest one I have ever seen - absolutely spotless with no cracked tiles or discoloured grouting. The cold water pressure was low but it's an old building so you expect minor problems.
Dinner was good. It wasn't cheap and I don't know why you would serve chips in a restaurant of that quality, but that's just my opinion. Cooked breakfast was absolutely fabulous! Good quality produce being used which you don't always get in hotels.
The star member of staff was Tony in the library bar and breakfast room. Funny, polite and helpful. It's staff like him who make a place memorable.

Room Tip: If you're tall ask for a ground floor room if you're in the courtyard.
1 Thank Kathryn90
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Rooms very stylish, we have stayed twice before and, as it was a special occasion, chose it over Coombe Abbey, it's sister hotel because we preferred it. What a disappointment. Maybe it was because it was the weekend and they had 3 weddings on, but there seemed to be plenty of staff anyway, but the service was really poor. Not only that our room door was left wide open for cleaning while we were at breakfast!!They were either deaf or we were invisible- until I complained on the first day. We were moved into another room- exactly the same except next doors bathroom was next to our bed practically- great. They gave us a free bottle of wine with dinner- even got that wrong so was charged for the white. Overall a very ordinary hotel. We had stayed in a hotel on thurs for a third of the price with much better customer service and a fantastic room. Don't waste your money unless you get a cheap deal or you are part of a wedding. Very very disappointing

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Karen S
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

We recently attended a wedding at Lumley Castle, the venue and the grounds are stunning and we stayed in a court yard room. It was very quiet and very dark. The only thing that let it down was the food, At breakfast there was a good choice of cereals, pastries and fruit but the cooked option was not as good. Not the best cooked breakfast I have had by a long way. Staff were excellent , always smiling and happy to help.

Room Tip: Room 38 was one of the best ones, other family members had rooms in the 90 s which were likened to p...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Newcastle
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We have been here a few times and whilst there can be minor issues, nothing has ever spoilt our visit. In the past we have highly recommended Lumley Castle.

However, we have just returned from celebrating our wedding anniversary feeling mistreated and irrelevant.

Poor service at breakfast was the culprit, well actually no service. After 50 minutes we got up and left. No sooner had we moved, the staff swooped on the table to clear it !!!

On complaining we were met by indifference with no attempt to offer an apology.

The same attitude when checking out. The duty manager even tried to imply they had done us a favour by reducing the bill by the amount charged for breakfast .... Work that one out ??

Would I go back .... NO
Because this is a premium establishment with associated costs. Hotels do get things wrong at times but it's the way they respond that makes the difference and on that score Lumley Castle you are appalling.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Southport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

What a lovely time I had. I had a laugh at how high our bed was. I needed to use the chair to get into bed, which was so comfy. I went on a groupon deal and was totally happy. Lovely food and helpful staff, we will return.

Room Tip: Room 11 in the. Courtyard. Don't forget there are state rooms to book.
1 Thank antonandhelen
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

I booked a night at this Castle as a surprise for my partner, who had never been to a castle before let alone stayed in one! I was anxious at first, having booked through travelzoo, and reading the reviews on here.
We arrived later in the evening, the staff were pleasant and the hotel was lovely and clean and luxurious throughout. We stayed in the courtyard, which was quaint and very fitting with the windy corridors and such. The bed and bathroom were especially lovely.
We didn't use the bar or room service as went out to a local pub. However, we had breakfast in the restaurant the morning after, which was 5 star - although the service there needs improving.
Overall a very pleasant stay, and a great stop off point for anyone travelling the science route from England to Scotland. TOURISTS WILL LOVE THIS!

Room Tip: Don't be worried about courtyard rooms! Themed rooms looked AMAZING - but oh so expensive!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple