“The Emperor's New Clothes”

Lumley Castle Hotel
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 29 December 2009

My fiancé booked a 1 night stay at Lumley castle, intending it to be a special treat between Christmas and New Year. We arrived in darkness and the castle was very impressive, beautifully illuminated against the dark sky and surrounded by the snow. Both of us were very excited to be staying in such a grand hotel and really looking forward to the experience, my fiancé is from the area and knows of the impressive reputation it has locally.
We found it difficult to find the reception, as, like most things in the hotel, it is tucked away and not well signed. Check in was quick, we had room 8, a courtyard room in converted stables. The window box outside our room had old cigarette stubs in it which I found really distasteful. The room itself was small, although it was decorated in very dark victorian gothic style the lighting made it cosy. The stairs to the rooms above bit into our bedroom and as we were to find out later the soundproofing is none existent. The bathroom was clean and tidy. The shower gave loads of hot water, although the temperature did vary somewhat during the shower from cold to scalding. The shower curtain billowed around a lot when using the shower and it was rather like having to fight off an over amorous suitor! Overall the room was a little care worn, the wallpaper coming way from the wall in places and some bits torn away, the odd cobweb and the wall light was coming away from the wall.
As recommended we had booked a table in the Black Knight restaurant. The whole place was heaving, there were a couple of weddings on that day and the place was over run with wedding guests in various stages of “conviviality” The information in the room states dress code is (smart casual ,no jeans or leisure wear) this didn’t seem to be the case that night.
The Menu is limited but offers some good choices. The food was well presented, I had the venison which tasted beautiful but was spoiled by the instant mash. My fiancé had mixed grill, normally a very robust choice but this was definitely more “size zero” than “super size”. Side dishes (like a lot of things in the hotel )were extra. I wondered if Ryan Air had shares in the place such were their charges!! Dessert was good but again the choice was limited.
We experienced a problem with noise from the guests in the room above us at night, they and their friends, were very merry, ( good luck to them, it was a wedding after all !!) we called reception to complain and they sprang into action and moved the guests to another room. I can’t fault any of the staff at the hotel, they were excellent and I don’t blame the guests I just think the conversion has been badly done with lack of thought for sound proofing. A case of trying to pack in as many extra bedrooms as possible at as little cost as possible.
Breakfast next morning was populated with the revellers from the weddings all sporting a brilliant range of leisure wear. The breakfast gave a good choice but the Lumley Full English, the Sir Ralph, was on par with the one I had the day before in Tesco! At around £15 each for the breakfast I expected much better quality.
Overall. I was hugely disappointed by the Lumley Castle experience. I felt so bad for my fiancé who had intended this to be such a treat. I think the hotel rests greatly on its local reputation and the wedding trade, The castle is an impressive backdrop for a wedding but guests are there to have a good day not to enjoy a high quality experience. In Yorkshire we have a phrase “all fur coat and no knickers” Lumley Castle is definitely that. More RyanAir than Qatar air, more Blackpool than Bondi! I think it would be fair to say I won’t be returning to Lumley Castle.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank callisto1275
Write a ReviewReviews (2,194)

Reviewed 12 December 2009

From the barrel vaulted towers with their eight foot thick walls and spiral staircases to the 18thc state rooms, this is a genuine castle. If you want transience in the form of a gym or pool, go somewhere else. If you dont like genuine 16th panelling or rococco mirrors or the odd cobweb - then try some neat glass box elswhere. If you have a taste for historic buildings or want an authentic romantic setting, a mediaeval castle which has retained much of its original fabric (check out the bottle dungeon or the mullioned windows) then this is the place for you. If you seek superlative food in a stunning period setting (the restaurant was formerly the Library designed by Vanbrugh). If you crave efficient, attentive service, then this is the place for you. If you want somewhere quite special then this is the place for you. The experience Lumley Castle offers is as unique as it is unforgettable

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 October 2009

We stayed for one night at Lumley Castle after previously dismissing it as a gimicky place for banquet-type events. We were pleasantly surprised with the charm, quality and surroundings of this 13th Century oasis tucked into the County Durham countryside.
We had room 60 - a feature room right at the top of castle with 4-poster and window seats. A lengthy trek from reception, but aibly assisted by a sturdy member of staff who escorted us up the myriad of stairs and corridors. Afternoon tea in the Library Bar was reasonably priced at £20 (although if we had picked up a brochure in reception we could have got it for £17). The sandwhiches were a bit hard around the edges but all in all not bad. Later in the dimly-lit Library bar (which also had a huge roaring fire) we were given the dinner and wine menu about 30 mins before going in for our 8.30pm pre-booked dinner. We wanted to have a bottle of bubbly beforehand but the waitress didn't come back to check with us for almost 20 mins. This meant by the time we got our champers we were close to missing our slot. As it turned out out we were Ok and had a fine dinner in the Black Knights Restaurant. Our room could have done with a more thorough clean (remnants of clothing from the previous incumbant and a cobweb or two). But overall good value for money (we had a dinner b&b deal for about £180. Much better value that Langley Castle a bit further up the road near Hexham.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2009

This place is really lovely. For the discerning traveller who wants somewhere quirky yet traditional, classy yet ostentatious in all the right places, this hotel makes for a nifty hide away. My partner and I decided to take up one of their Romantic Break offers with dinner and breakfast for two days and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We were lucky enough to be given a small but perfectly formed majestic space with a corner bath and bottle of champagne, and we enjoyed every minute of it. The dinners were very nice and beautifully presented, and the breakfasts, although somewhat medieval in terms of vastness, were cooked to order and varied in choice. The hotel staff were unfailingly polite and cheerful and couldn't do enough to help you; there were two huge weddings on during the Saturday of our stay yet they ensured that the ordinary guests were well looked after and not neglected in any way. Would highly recommend the place to couples seeking a spot of romance and extravagance and we'd definitely go back.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JBrodie
Reviewed 13 September 2009

We booked this hotel for my husbands 40th birthday treat. We booked the "Romantic Weekend" package. We werent dissapointed. In our room was a bouquet of flowers, box of chocolates and champagne on ice. The hotel is totally beautiful, the staff are friendly and helpfull and the restaraunt and food was stunning. I would highly recomend this hotel.

Reviewed 13 September 2009

We stayed at Lumley Castle as part of our honeymoon 18 years ago and decided to revisit following my sister’s wedding last week. Their website offered an excellent advance purchase rate of £114 for a state room and I requested ‘the room with the toilet in the wardrobe’. Unfortunately I had not realised that there is more than one and we had a different room; however we both agreed that we preferred the second one. We arrived separately in different cars and were both shown to our room. It was superb with plush furnishings and great efforts made to blend in the required internal scaffolding required to hold this wonderful old building together. The negatives, which are minor, but which would make this hotel so perfect are: inferior toiletries (dispensers stuck on the wall), no slippers to go with the plush bathrobes, and no evening turn down/refresh service.
Afternoon tea in the lounge was superb, but pre- dinner drinks were slightly blighted by staff discussing personal matters including cars and whether or not one of them was pregnant. We found that this intrusion into the ambience of the castle also occurred with the breakfast staff. Having said that, all staff were attentive, and very hard working.
Dinner was excellent as was breakfast.
One of my previous postings states my disappointment in returning to a hotel many years on; in this case, my Husband and I both agree that the stay was better, the food superior and the whole experience something which we shall definitely return to in future years.

Reviewed 9 September 2009

For most of us there aren't many chance to stay in a 13th century castle and I have to say that this place was absolutely amazing. The staff were wonderful and the whole ambience of the place takes you right back in time.

Thank you so much for starting our holiday off so amazingly, we'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County
Best Western Beamish Hall Country House Hotel
Hallgarth Manor House
Hallgarth Manor House
#12 of 18 in Durham
The Honest Lawyer Hotel

Been to Lumley Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!