“Mixed Quality” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Durham
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Mixed Quality”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2010

I have stayed at this hotel now a total of 7 times. Each time something goes wrong. I would say this hotel does have much to offer which is why I have returned. Hoping each time it gets it's act together butit never quite does.However, the price of a courtyard room is very good compared to a travel lodge. But, don't rely on having hot water, hot food, a warm room, internet access, if you get some of these you'll be lucky.
What really gets me about the place though is there is no transparent pricing plan. I once went there and paid three times the amount of a couple in a comparitive room, so beware! Why don't they advertise there prices why do you have to email them t get a price? Also why can't you book a specific room? I quite like one room in particular and have paid the top" romancing" price and asked particularly for that room and was unable on several occasions to get it...Why? Add to this phones at reception not being answered, unhelpful staff at reception, freezing cold rooms, room service taking an age, expensive prices in the bar and resturant. on two of my visits the room had not been cleaned properly and on one the free champagne and chocs werent there I had to ask for them. On one visit I had to beg them to lay on afternoon tea in my room although I had already paid for it and was 10 mins to go before it finished. Which begs the question does it finish on the hour as stated of ten mins before?
I'm getting tired of going here and being let down.
If your booking this hotel be absolutely sure you have the best price! Check your room as soon as you eneter for cleanliness, hot water and the radiators are working.
However, it is local to me. The rooms

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JohnSunderlandUk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
  • Polish first
sutton in ashfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2010

My wife & I visited Lumley Castle in Feb 2009 whist looking for a a suitable castle with a
a medieval style banquet in preparation for her 40th birthday on may 21st 2010.
On the 20th May this year we returned for a 2 night stay, and yes 'WOW!!!' sums this hotel
up. The castle looks stunning with an interior to match, if you choose to stay opt for a feature bedroom I'm sure you wont be disapointed. We enjoyed our first night in the restaurant & although it was quite expensive the food & sevice was of a high standard. Any hotel however grand, is only as good as it's staff. During our stay, ourselves & our friends commented on how helpful & friendly ALL the hotel staff were with nothing being too much trouble for them. So much so, that on the morning of my wife's birthday at breakfast she was presented with my suprise birthday gift of tickets to New York. Everything I'd asked of them beforehand went as planned, flowers/ballons on the table & the tickets under a 'glosh' to conceal them as she waited for her bacon & eggs along with myself & two friends .Shock was not the word! A memory which will stay with me always.
During the rest of the day our other friends arrived in preparation for the evenings elizibethan banquet. This too was memorable, helped by FORTY SIX of us dressing in period costume!! The food & entertainment was first class & everyone went to bed happy, if not a little drunk!!
I'm positive that at some point both ourselves & our friends will return

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank DLNY
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,095 helpful votes
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2010

Mmmmmmmmmm ??????
Not sure exactly what to say about this place, i did not choose to stay here, it's not really my type of hotel for a business stay, You must bear in mind this place is an old castle.
My room was small, pokey, and cold, the bed was dreadful ! ( could you therefore class this as "olde worlde" and full of character ? )The room price with what turned out to be a really great breakfast was excellent value at £75 !
Staff were mainly dressed in period costume, but it didn't feel "right" and they did not seem comfortable.

All i can say is try it for yourself and hope you dont get room 40 !

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Northumberland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2010

Lumleys greatest asset is the castle itself, and the grounds. We stayed over for the medieval feast, and it was very good overall. The food lets the hotel down, perhaps feeding so many at a banquet is the reason, but I would not let this stop you from visiting. Although the hair in the breakfast did really make our minds up that this area is one for the management to concentrate on.The staff are quite young, and very helpful and polite, but need to focus more on the customers than chatting between themselves.The rooms are comfortable and suit the atmosphere the castle is trying to achieve, and impeccably clean. The hotel gets a lot of things right, the scottish piper calling you to dine, the courtyards pretty lighting and seating. It also needs to perk a few things up. Get rid of the faux flower displays and use whats in there gardens to create a fresh feel. Speed up the library bar service, and in here when you offer one guest "free nibbles" offer the others the same (OK petty, but makes a difference), perhaps light the candles on the fireplaces. But all that said, it was relaxing and I would say its worth a visit.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Warwickshire, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2010

I've just tried to book a very special meal with my godmother at Lumley Castle. The receptionist was off-hand, and when I was trying to book champagne for our arrival, she had already put the phone down!

Sorry Lumley Castle, you won't be getting my business. I hope when my grandmother and great aunt were in service there in 1910, that they were more polite to guests, even potential guests!

Stayed May 2010
2 Thank Causette1
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2010

We booked the Lumley Castle Hotel for a New Year's eve party, to include accommodation.

The hotel has bags of character and the staff were very friendly - no offer of a porter though.

The room was OK if a little cold but we were in the middle of one of the coldest winters for some time. Our main gripe relates to the food at the so-called gala dinner.

We are veggies but nonetheless we paid the same amount as everyone else. To be honest, the food for us was very poor.... the starter was tasteless and the main course was inedible. When asked, we provided appropriate feedback and received apologies and a complimentary bottle of Champagne. This was better than nothing but in no way compensated for meal that cost around £95 per head. The total cost of our New Year's Eve party (including accommodation) was well over £400 and, for this money, I'm afraid we won't be booking this year.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Whitehaven, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2010

Went here for two nights this week on a business trip, hotel portrays itself as an upmarket destination, its tag line being "No ordinary hotel" - that is certainly is. Myself and 8 colleagues were booked in here on a double room basis by our corporate booking service, on arrival I was booked in and told a porter would show me to my room, after 15mins gave up and went to find it myself, turned out to be a single room - although doubles were available. Not being the complaining type I thought it's only for 2 nights so O.K. Second day returned from my conference , jumped in the shower to find no toiletries ( just as well I brought my own ), complained @ reception who said the porter would deliver some to my room. Got back to the hotel @ around 11:30 to find no toiletries ( must have been the same porter who was going to show me to my room the previous day !!!!). Went to reception and managed, eventually, to get a bottle of shower gel. On checking out I was billed for a double room even thogh I had a single, receptionist told me that as it was a corporate deal the charge was the same, couldn't be bothered to argue. Tjought about filling in the feedback form but what were the chances of 1.getting to someone who could take action about the abysmal service or 2. chucking it in the bin so thought a review here would do more good. I spend alot ot time in hotels around the world both on business and holidays and without doubt this is one of the WORST I have ever stayed in.
In summary - DON'T GO THERE find a better hotel in the Durham / Sunderland area.My Company won't be using it again

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business