“Very Comfortable Hotel”

Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Durham
chester
“Very Comfortable Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

We stayed for 3 nights with 3 other couples on a "Cruise Reunion". Our room was quite, no noise from the interconnecting door into an ajacent bedroom, and had a good view over the back gardens. The super king sized bed was very comfy, and the room had a well appointed en-suite.
Breakfast was a comprehensive buffet with good choices. We had all evenings meals in the Rib Room and they were excellent (if you are non vegy).
Even though there were functions going on during our stay in the hotel we were not disturbed by any noise at night.
Very pleasantly surprised at the hotel quality after reading some previous entries.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

We stayed here for one night for a getaway. It included dinner bed and breakfast. The room was fairly average but a decent standard. The restaurant food was great with good service but it the DBB rate only covered a certain value so we had to add some extra money to pay for wine etc.
There was a wide variety of residents. Breakfast was extensive but in a very large room which didn't feel very exclusive or romantic - more like a large canteen!
Apparently they are installing a spa and pool area which will make it much nicer I'm sure.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

I am a frequent traveller and hold a number of VIP Hotel cards such as Hilton Diamond VIP. As such I am used to and expect a high standard of service; after all, the customer has a choice and it is important for hotels to accept that they can go elsewhere.
However, although my client made the reservation with some fixed protocols (ie: rib room meal allowance which could not be used in the carvery or for any of the meal offers in the rib room and after 4 weeks, steak, however good, gets pretty boring) I feel I must commend the hotel on its overall service.
Vicky Carr on reception has been the best receptionist I have ever dealt with whether it be the Burj Al Arab in Dubai or Raffles in Singapore. Very attentive to ones requirements, excellent demeanor and very efficient. In fact, although another receptionist was intransigent re my meals, Vicky did remove the restaurant restrictions when I brought it to her attention.
I made an observation during the 1st week and they changed my room and I was very comfortable for the remainder of the stay.
In the restaurant, my personal circumstances prevented me from pre-booking a table but, even when bursting to capacity, Gianni found me a table. His staff were very attentive and a credit to the hotel.
Breakfast was very enjoyable with again friendly and attentive staff.
My only gripe for a long term resident, is it is a bit isolated from Durham and taxis, whilst not excessive are not inexpensive.
All in all a very pleasant stay which I would request again if working in Durham area.
Well done to all at Ramside and a big commendation to Vicky.

Room Tip: My room was well appointed and maintained very clean by housekeeping. Internet was good at all time...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2011

Not deserving of the 4 stars it somehow has, old, tired and desperate for some money to be spent on the rooms, not a nice place.

• Stayed July 2011
KatherineDurham, Front Office Manager at Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 16 July 2011
Thank you for your review. All feedback is welcome, however in response to the Hotel being old and tired - In the last two years we have refurbished 70 out of our 80 bedrooms and bathrooms, with high quality furniture, fixtures and fittings, the remainer is due to be finished in the next few months. Along with that, we have the newly refurbished luxurious Rib Room Steak House and Grill style brasserie, which serves some of the best steaks in the North East, and the most recently refurbished unique Main Bar.

Ramside Hall offers very high standards which is expected of a 4* Hotel and I apologise that you feel this was not met on your recent visit. I would be more than happy to discuss your stay in more detail if you would like to contact me direct.

Beverley Anders
Reception Manager
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2011

Ghastly service. When we alerted reception, they informed the duty manager who was asked to speak with us. Instead, he watched us eat for 30 mins and chose to ignore us. I could write an essay here but rather not think about this hotel any longer. Please avoid at all costs.

• Stayed July 2011
3 Thank alchemist01
Sunderland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2011

please think twice before booking, i dont like ticking the first box for the rating , 1. the staff need training , uniform should be clean at all, times and customer care could be helpful to, 2. the chef needs to learn how to do a buffet that dosent taste bland, and learn what can be reheated , overall totally disappointed even tho ive been here before on a number of occasions. i will not be wasting my money here again until i here it has improved.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank rooney85
KatherineDurham, General Manager at Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 16 July 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I was extremely disappointed that we did not meet your expectations, however I have noted your comments and would happily discuss them further if you would like to contact me direct.

David Wood
Operations Manager
Hull
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

Booked this room on a booking.com flash deal for £39 and wasn't sure what to expect. Was impressed on arrival at the beautiful setting, lots of parking. There was two weddings going on the day we arrived but you wouldn't have known as the staff were so friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. The girls on reception were really warm, chatty and welcoming and upgraded us to a deluxe suite. We couldn't believe it when we got to our room - it was enormous with fab decor and a lovely view. It had to be the cleanest, comfiest room we've had anywhere with some nice touches like magazines and fruit. The bathroom was just fantastic with an amazing jacuzzi bath. The whole place was just so relaxed and friendly with good food and bars.

A great base for exploring, only two miles to Durham and about a 20 min drive to the centre of Newcastle. A quality hotel, great value for money, would definitely stay again and be happy to pay full price as it's well worth it.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
SMurphyOpsDirector, Manager at Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 15 June 2011
What a great review, thank you. I am so pleased to read that you really enjoyed your stay with us. I will share your fantastic comments about how friendly the staff are at Ramside Hall Hotel with them all. Glad you received an upgrade, sometimes it just happens thst way and you found the bedroom to be the cleaniest and comfiest you have ever stayed in. Lets hope you do return again soon.
Kind regards
Simon Murphy
Operations Director
Ramside Estates
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
#1 of 1 in Seaham
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,279 reviews
Premier Inn Durham City Centre
The Honest Lawyer Hotel

Been to Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!