“CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK”

Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Durham
Tarporley
“CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK”
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Myself & three golfing mates had won a round of golf at the fabulous Matfen Hall golf course near Newcastle. Last week we took advantage of the better weather to play this round but, having travelled some distance to get there we wanted another venue to play the following day. Another golfing buddy suggested this hotel and course. He was not wrong, having driven down from Matfen we checked into high quality rooms with all the amenities of an 5 star resort. We had been given our £25 per person voucher for the Rib/Steak restaurant (I had pre-booked DB&B and a round of golf) and we had sufficient time to take advantage of their courtesy transport (Thanks Colin!) for a quick look at the small city of Durham and have a couple of swift pints before attempting the steaks.
Any serious meat eater will not be disappointed with what is on offer. The four of us selected the chateaubriand between each pair served most efficiently by one of the senior waiters who was due to take up a new post on the hotel management. Washed down by a couple of bottles of reasonably priced fine red wine and a post dinner drink in the well stocked bar we retired to large and comfortable beds. Breakfast followed a good night's sleep, then on to the golf course. They have 27 holes currently with another 18 in construction. You have to know that all four of us are seriously well travelled golfers. The design and condition of the course attached to this hotel is far and away the best we have ever played. It is right up there with the very best if private members courses. Congratulations to whoever thought of and more importantly paid for this, it is stunning. Sadly we only had time for 18 holes BUT as someone once said in a film 'we will be back!'
Similar to other reports they have got everything right at the Ramside, especially the golf course. Thank you for a short but great stay.

Room Tip: Our twin room was as good as it gets, but you are near the A1M so I am not sure if some of the rooms...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Tim B, General Manager at Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent leisure break at Ramside Hall Hotel.

I am delighted to read how pleased you were with our golfing facilities and that you also had time to enjoy dining in our Rib Room restaurant. We are always very pleased to read such positive feedback and ensure it is shared with our team.

I hope we shall have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Tim Boyd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
Reviewed 11 August 2012 via mobile

After just staying 1night at ramside, having fantastic food and the enjoying the Whitney Houston tribute act the whole stay was fantastic! Really good atmosphere throughout the whole hotel and function staff excellent in show.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay at Ramside Hall Hotel.

We are always pleased to read such positive comments and make sure that they are shared with our team.

On a personal note, I am sorry that I missed you at breakfast; when you are next in the area please do give me a call as I would very much like the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel.

Wetherby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Excellent in all respects. Beautiful, well kept grounds and very peaceful despite being close to the A1. Public areas and the bedrooms very well maintained and attractive. Food of high quality and, best of all, the service received from manager Tim Boyd and all his team is second to none. We hope to return.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GrahamandSueR
Tim B, General Manager at Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 23 August 2012
Thank you for posting a review of your stay at Ramside Hall Hotel.

We are always delighted to read such positive feedback and ensure we share it with our teams across the hotel.

On a personal note, I am sorry that I missed you at breakfast but please do give me a call when you are next in the area when I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Ramside.

High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Bedrooms are very well appointed and spacious and we looked out over lovely gardens. In the mornings, it was very quiet and serene. Golf club hotels can be dissappointing stopovers unless you are a player, however Ramside Hill is an exception. The real surprise was the restaurant that offers simple food served exceptionally well. much local produce is used including fresh lobsters. Many of the staff are locals and the were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast did not live up to the high standards of dinner but is very adequate. One criticism is the lack of a dress code for the lovely main restaurant, surely jeans and tee shirts need to be banished to the carvery?

Room Tip: It is delightfully quiet overlooking the gardens.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

We are always pleased to read such positive feedback and appreciate your comments and observations with regard to dress code which we will certainly give our serious consideration.

We hope that you will return to us again in the future and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2012

This hotel is excellent. The rooms are really big and include two double sized beds (very American). The decor inside is very nice and the bathroom contemporary and the whole hotel is very clean. The really excellent thing about this hotel is the friendly and accommodating staff. Everyone is customer focused; they say hello and smile at customers and this makes the stay a very positive one. We ate at the Rib Steak restaurant and the steak was excellent, in fact the side dishes were fantastic too. Again the service is amazing, very attentive, and while (it could be argued) the prices are a little high, but you really do get good value for money and when i say high, i mean about another £4 on what you would pay for perhaps an average dining experience. I'd rather pay for good quality food and we had just that here; the fillet steak we had was fantastic and all locally sourced. I would have liked to try breakfast but this wasnt included in the price of our room but we cannot complain as the deal for the one night stay was a great offer. I am very pleased with this hotel and would indeed stay here again. It is a proper 4* experience. Improvements that could be added to the experience is for rooms to have a mini bar, possibly air conditioning in rooms though it was humid when we stayed but this is not usual weather for this island! & of course a swimming pool and leisure complex which i believe is a plan in progress would enhance this wonderful 4* hotel, perhaps to a 5*. Eat at the steak restaurant here, you will not be disappointed. The location is brill as a less than 5 minute bus takes you in to the delightful city of Durham and all for £2, which includes as many return trips as you would like. Bus drivers are polite and helpful too. Beds are very comfortable.

Room Tip: one of the newly decorated rooms was what we stayed at... these are really lovely.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for posting such a positive review of your stay at Ramside Hall Hotel.

I shall make sure your feedback is shared with our teams across the hotel and hope that we shall have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Myself and my husband were married here in November 2011. We had a civil ceremony in the Fountain Room, reception also in the this room. We only had 35 day time guests and the room was a perfect size. I stayed there the night before and was given a complementary room for all the table decorations, flowers etc. I was met by one of the wedding planners who made sure she understood exactly how I wanted things to look. She then told me that another member of staff would visit the room on the morning of the Wedding to go though the schedule with me. Next morning a member of staff came to the room and introduced himself, he was then on hand all day and was our master of ceremonies. This man literally took charge on my behalf and even my hairdresser commented that I was the most relaxed bride she had ever seen! The wedding was perfect. We then moved into the Ballroom for the evening reception and the gentleman that had been with us all day handed us over to the evening staff who were equally attentive. Nothing was too much for the staff and even the cleaning staff took the time to congratulate us. All in all Ramside made this a day that I would repeat again in heart beat and would recommend to anyone for a wedding.

Room Tip: I stayed here the night before the wedding and I would recommend this idea to any bride, not only di...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Nicola C
Thank you for taking the time to a post a review of Ramside Hall Hotel following your wedding event.

I am delighted to read how happy you were the standard of service you received and your comments will be shared with the team.

I hope you will consider a return visit to us and in which case please contact me directly so that I may oversee your arrangements.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Ramside Hall Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 12 July 2012

Great value for money! I had a superior room which had 2 double beds in! The beds are comfortable and I had a good nights sleep! The bathroom is nice and modern and the shower made me want to stand in it all day!
The tv didn't have many channels only usual 1-5 and sky sports but I coped! There were also a few loose plug sockets in the room which concerned me! The hairdryer didn't do much either it just blew cold air!
The staff were very helpful and friendly !
There are also 2 restaurants in the hotel one is a steakhouse which was quite pricey! There is also a buffet/carvery! I didn't particularly enjoy this I found te food bland and the meat dry! The breakfast was nice !
Overall I would stay here again but would eat elsewhere next time

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Swinnj
Thank you for taking the time to a post a review following your stay at Ramside Hall Hotel.

Your feedback is important to us and I am delighted that you would consider a return visit. When you are ready to make your next reservation please contact me directly so that I may oversee the arrangements on your behalf.

Tim Boyd
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County
The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Rockliffe Hall
Rockliffe Hall
#1 of 1 in Hurworth-on-Tees

Been to Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!