“Very nice, perfect for a wedding”

Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Durham
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Very nice, perfect for a wedding”
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I came here for a friend’s wedding and was really impressed. Great value at £99 per night on an offer. Considering you pay around £75-£100 for lower class hotels down south, very reasonable.

The grounds are lovely and if you want to go for a walk or run, the areas surrounding the golf course edges are ideal for this. The old house is not far up the hill too with an easy jog/stroll back down the hill by following the road back to the main reception.

The old fortress style building makes a beautiful back drop for photos.

We were in the 1st room by reception with a beautiful view into the gardens out of the patio doors.

The mix off old and modern complimented the cosy feel to the hotel. Some edges were a bit scuffed and worn, but this made it more homely. Plenty of coffee, tea and biscuits were provided. And it was no trouble to get more complimentary toiletries on request.

The honeymoon suite was like a self-contained flat, with beautiful decor and the walk in shower was lovely.

The reception was held in the Neville Suite, which opened up in the evening to extend to a large bar area with buffet along the back. The main room was transformed from the wedding breakfast to the night time disco room.

I found most of the staff really lovely. It’s a shame one lady (older blonde one-you know who you are!) let the rest of the team down. I found her quite abrupt when the reception drink on offer was orange juice or bucks fizz. Unfortunately, I cannot drink orange juice and asked if there was an alternative. The response was "the bar's over there!" I feel she maybe could have offered a glass of water? For which I did get myself from the bar. The young dark haired chap behind the bar was a lot more helpful-thank you. Apart from her rudeness, I can say the rest of the team were brilliant.

The wedding breakfast was sumptuous. Homemade minestrone soup for starters, roast beef with potatoes and veg followed by melt in your mouth toffee sponge. True hearty food and the portions were massive. Not your typical wedding fair. No one was left hungry!

The breakfast lounge was lovely with it's leather chairs and old fashioned air to it. A large selection of choice buffet style hot and cold.

I would recommend this for a getaway or any special occasion.

Room Tip: Take ear plugs if by reception as sound does travel a bit. Room 101 was lovely though
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Boogy73
Tim B, General Manager at Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 24 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Ramside Hall Hotel.

I am delighted how pleased you were with our hotel and facilities and hope that you will consider a return visit when you are next in the area.

Tim Boyd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
Retford
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Fast check in with helpful staff who were very friendly and attentive. Rooms were very clean and all the appliances worked as you would expect them to. Room a little too hot and window could only be opened a fraction but we MUST be safe mus'nt we. Food was excellent and reasonably priced, drinks were expensive. Staff in charge of the wedding organised it unobtrusively and were excellent. Check out was efficient and we really enjoyed our two night stay.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent 2-night stay at Ramside Hall Hotel.

I am delighted how pleased you were with the standard of accommodation and the guest care delivered during the course of the wedding event you attended.

I hope that you will consider a return visit to our hotel when you are next in the area.

Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2012

we stayed for our 2nd year wedding anniversary on the 5th of aug...and it was a lovely night. the room was amazing...the bar was quiet and cosy. we had our meal in the rib room...and i would recomend it! service was top notch. got married here and have came back every yr after and will for many more years to come.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent return visit to Ramside Hall Hotel.

We are always delighted to welcome you back to our hotel and look forward to seeing you again next year (if not sooner!).

Reviewed 24 September 2012 via mobile

My husband and I got married at the Ramside in 2009 and were invited to return for our anniversary, as we'd been here before we knew to expect great service and fabulous surroundings. This time was different - our room hasn't been cleaned properly as there was a champagne cork next to the bedside table (not ours unfortunately) a broken wine glass was on the window ledge - good job our 2 year old wasn't with us, to top the night off the night manager entered our room at 1.30 in the morning by just opening the door with a key, he hastily left when he realised the room was occupied without even an apology. Such a shame to ruin a great memory of our wedding day and suffice to say we won't be returning.

• Stayed August 2012
Callander, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Sorry to start on the negative side. When I booked the hotel, I requested that a room with a mini fridge to store my diabetic and eye medication. There was no adverse response from the hotel to this request, so I assumed that would be ok. When we checked in, I was told by a rather haughty receptionist that there were no fridges in any of the rooms, but I could store my medication in the fridge at reception. I did not choose to do this for fear of them being mislaid, so I bought a special cool pack. I thought the least they could have done was to inform me about this prior to our visit. There was no chilled prosecco in our room on arrival, which was part of our deal. When I enquired, again same haughty receptionist didn't believe me it hadn't been delivered. I actually was made to feel quite guilty asking about it. First night dinner in the Rib Room restaurant was very disappointing, with my fillet steak being tough and gristly (certainly not worth the price tag of £18.50). When we reported this to the head waiter, we thought there might have been an adjustment to our bill, but not so. I felt the service was too fast, as the mains arrived more or less seconds after our starter dishes were whipped away, and my steak had been cooked in advance and kept warm (or I even thought might have been intended for someone else!). We chose the halibut the following two nights, which was delicious. We felt the menu choice was quite restrictive, considering the price we were paying.
On the plus side, the hotel was in a great location, near to the park & ride for Durham city centre. The room was very clean and comfortable, with a lovely en suite and great power shower (although the extractor fan in the bathroom didn't work, so had to wait 20 mins for the steam to evaporate after a shower - small grumble!).
Overall, we did enjoy our stay, although our last night was completely spoiled by the noise from other guests, returning to their rooms making noise, laughing, talking, banging on doors until 4.00am!! Also, a noisy group outside our window, drinking until the early hours. The empty beer/cider cans in the grounds were evident in the morning. So, only 2-3 hours sleep for us. If you want to have a peaceful sleep, take some ear plugs! We did complain to the duty manager in the morning. His response was that his room was just along the corridor from ours, and he didn't hear a thing (maybe he was at the party!) We stayed mid-week, so I certainly wouldn't like to stay at the weekend when there might be a wedding/function. The hotel was good and probably worthy of the 4-star rating (in certain areas), Considering what we paid, I expected better, but the negative points mentioned out-weighed the positive ones and might put me off from returning.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2012

If your a couple or family or here with mates There are places close by for everyone, 15mins in the car to the metro centre. just over 5mins to durham city centre. Beautiful place to visit. With the shops and markets and the Cathedral.
You must Visit the Rib Room. The best steak I have had in the UK. From everywhere I have stayed and eating. You cannot beat the Steak that they have in this Hotel. The food is Phenomenal. Any other reviews about the Rib Room that are bad are rubbish. I have eating here 3 times and I cannot get enough. The Food is well presented and you have a big selections of Wines to choose from. Rough price is £19+, you pay for what you get. Plated up with Mushrooms, onions and Onion rings with a selection of Great side Dishes. Its Mouth watering.
This is my 3rd week at the hotel. I am here on Business but have stayed for a weekend with my other half. From checkin in at reception to having breakfast. From having evening meal to night staff. Everyone I have met and spoke with that work here seriously make the stay so much better. Being away from home working. You want a hotel you feel welcome and know when you check out at the end of the week you do look forward to coming back. The cleaners also make a fantastic job of making the room very clean. Also the management are very helpful are there to help as are the staff. The grounds are beautiful. Well kept. Golf course is really good aswell. I am here till November so I will update again but it can only be good. Serious place you have to see for yourself. But having a hotel that all staff are really nice and the food is amazing. If you are eating in the carvery the food is gorgeous an the rib room you only here good things. People you speak with that come out cant give enough praise. Again a would like to thank all staff that work here in every department for still making my stay very good

Room Tip: All rooms in the hotel are lovely, Room 206 is gorgeous, My Favourite. With doors that open to the G...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Ross S
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at Ramside Hall Hotel.

On behalf of the team we are delighted you are enjoying your stay with us and hope that we shall have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2012

massive thankyou to ramside for making my sons wedding the most perfect day.we stayed fom friday til sunday and can't fault anything,the food was fantastic and staff were attentive with nothing to much trouble.The wedding went like clockwork,and the hotel and grounds are so beautiful theres lots of photo opportunities.we had the marquee for the evening and again the food was amazing a magical end to an amazing day.Check the hotel out if you are planning a wedding we highly recommend it.

Room Tip: this is a wedding venue if you want quiet choose the south side
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
#1 of 1 in Seaham
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,306 reviews
Premier Inn Durham City Centre
The Honest Lawyer Hotel

Been to Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!