“Very friendly and accommodating staff”

Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Very friendly and accommodating staff”
Reviewed 12 October 2012

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at Ramside and have had a very good experience. We were staying with our dog and had a twin room on the ground floor with doors opening onto the gardens. My husband played all 27 holes of the golf course and the course and grounds are very well kept. We ate in the Rib Room restaurant on all three nights and found both the service and quality of food to be exceptional. The friendliness and professionalism of the staff was superb. We would recommend this hotel to others - particularly to golfers. Ramside has plans for development (work has already begun). The plans include the building of a swimming pool and spa and extending the golf facilities further. The addition of a spa will be welcomed for our return visit.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 210 which was on the ground floor with french doors opening into the gardens. It...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Tim B, General Manager at Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 24 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent 3-night stay at Ramside Hall Hotel.

Please be assured that your comments will be shared with our team and I sincerely hope we shall have the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Tim Boyd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
Tyne and Wear
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Stayed at the Ramside on 6th October after a friends wedding. Lovely Hotel. Very nice decor and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. My daughter and I booked a twin room. I had 2 queen sized beds. Very clean and comfortable. Bathroom was immaculate. Next morning down for the buffet breakfast. I think even the pickiest of customers would have trouble finding fault with this. Shown to our seats, coffee brought to the table. Then helped ourselves to a full English. Beautifully cooked. There were many other things if you prefer. Array of cereals, fruit, juice, toast and spreads, croissants. Price was £129.00 including breakfast. Well worth it.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Ramside Hall Hotel.

I am delighted how pleased you and your daughter were with the standard and comfort of our bedrooms and sincerely hope we shall have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2012

I was booked in here by my employer for a weeks stay as I was training nearby. Whilst it looks a little sleepy on the outside it is modern and comfortable inside. The lounge area by the bar and the carvery restaurant are decorated in a fashionable country style and for more traditional tastes there is a sitting area by reception with floral sofas and antique pieces. The room was fantastic and the bed very comfortable. The bathroom was made with marble and the fittings all of a very high quality. I particularly liked the extra wide bath/shower. I hate having to shuffle around a dinky little shower. The only downside of the bathroom is the automatic light. It's motion sensitive and turned off whilst I was showering / applying make up! But this is only a small trouble. The customer service was the best feature of all. The girls on reception are to be highly praised and really make you feel welcome. Everyone you meet will be warm and friendly, from the bar staff to the room staff. I also attended a training course in a couple of the function rooms which were very clean and provided good refreshments and stationary. I'm not a golfer but heard good things about the course and the driving range. One tip though - go easy on the bar the prices are very steep!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at Ramside Hall Hotel.

I am delighted how pleased you were with our facilities and certainly during the course of your week's stay you will have had the opportunity to experience the standard of guest care we are so proud to deliver.

I very much hope we shall have the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel when you are next in the area.

Kirriemuir, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2012

The worst nights sleep I have ever had in a hotel!

My partner and I stayed in room 317 on Friday 28th Sept. The hotel is easy to get to from Beamish and Durham. Upon arrival I was a tad disappointed with the old fashioned style of the foyer and our room, not the modern style as suggested by the website. However the bar and dining areas were lovely and modern, comfortable and homely.
We had a few drinks at the bar (not cheap) and a meal in the Rib Room restaurant which was very enjoyable. My partner and I both had steaks which were delicious. Very efficient service. My only grumble was being so close to the table next to us, literally touching elbows with the man next to me!

That night I had the worst nights sleep I have ever had in a hotel. Our mattress was collapsed in the middle and extremely uncomfortable. This however is completely insignificant when the fire alarm goes off several times throughout the night! No member of staff acknowledged it, justified it, apologised for it or anything. Very disappointing.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Durham
Reviewed 28 September 2012

For 10 years Ramside Hall Hotel has provided a venue for events organised by the group of which I am Chair. The professional support that Ramside Hall has given to us on every occasion throughout that time has invariably been superb - and for that reason we have always chosen Ramside Hall for our annual formal dinner and ball, catering for up to 300 people, and for our annual less formal Charity Night, catering for up to 100 people. When catering for such numbers of people it is not easy to please all tastes; however, over the years we have had virtually no negative feedback from our hundreds of attendees. Moreover the advice and practical support we have had from the event management staff has been excellent. I would particularly like to mention Helen and Claire for their help with organising our events, and Paul and his Team for their unfailing and very practical support during the events, with such things as room layouts, presentation facilities, bar facilities and general trouble-shooting (not that there has been much trouble to shoot!). On those occasions when ourselves and numbers of our guests have stayed at the Hotel, we have always been impressed by the standard of the accommodation and the friendliness and efficiency of the Reception staff. Our most recent event, our annual Charity Night on 27 Sept 2012, was supported as superbly as ever by the Ramside Team.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent group event at Ramside Hall Hotel.

We were of course delighted to welcome you back and please be assured that your comments will be shared with our team.

On behalf of the team at Ramside Hall Hotel, we thank you for your continued custom and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Newcastle under lyme
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I absolutely love staying at this hotel.. No matter what room you are allocated it is always lovely. The beds are so comfy and the rooms very spacious. I have stayed here quite a few times and have been lucky enough to be upgraded on occasions and those rooms are even nicer. The staff are excellent and the food in both the carvery (recently refurbished) and the restaurant is excellent. Vicky the Head Receptionist is absolutely brilliant and anything you need she can arrange. I totally recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for once again choosing Ramside Hall Hotel.

We are always delighted to welcome back our returning guests and your positive feedback is always shared with our team.

I sincerely hope we shall have the opportunity of seeing you again at our hotel in the near future.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I came here for a friend’s wedding and was really impressed. Great value at £99 per night on an offer. Considering you pay around £75-£100 for lower class hotels down south, very reasonable.

The grounds are lovely and if you want to go for a walk or run, the areas surrounding the golf course edges are ideal for this. The old house is not far up the hill too with an easy jog/stroll back down the hill by following the road back to the main reception.

The old fortress style building makes a beautiful back drop for photos.

We were in the 1st room by reception with a beautiful view into the gardens out of the patio doors.

The mix off old and modern complimented the cosy feel to the hotel. Some edges were a bit scuffed and worn, but this made it more homely. Plenty of coffee, tea and biscuits were provided. And it was no trouble to get more complimentary toiletries on request.

The honeymoon suite was like a self-contained flat, with beautiful decor and the walk in shower was lovely.

The reception was held in the Neville Suite, which opened up in the evening to extend to a large bar area with buffet along the back. The main room was transformed from the wedding breakfast to the night time disco room.

I found most of the staff really lovely. It’s a shame one lady (older blonde one-you know who you are!) let the rest of the team down. I found her quite abrupt when the reception drink on offer was orange juice or bucks fizz. Unfortunately, I cannot drink orange juice and asked if there was an alternative. The response was "the bar's over there!" I feel she maybe could have offered a glass of water? For which I did get myself from the bar. The young dark haired chap behind the bar was a lot more helpful-thank you. Apart from her rudeness, I can say the rest of the team were brilliant.

The wedding breakfast was sumptuous. Homemade minestrone soup for starters, roast beef with potatoes and veg followed by melt in your mouth toffee sponge. True hearty food and the portions were massive. Not your typical wedding fair. No one was left hungry!

The breakfast lounge was lovely with it's leather chairs and old fashioned air to it. A large selection of choice buffet style hot and cold.

I would recommend this for a getaway or any special occasion.

Room Tip: Take ear plugs if by reception as sound does travel a bit. Room 101 was lovely though
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Boogy73

I am delighted how pleased you were with our hotel and facilities and hope that you will consider a return visit when you are next in the area.

Tim Boyd
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
Rockliffe Hall
Rockliffe Hall
#1 of 1 in Hurworth-on-Tees
The Honest Lawyer Hotel

Been to Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!