“Bad service, a real old-fashioned dump”

Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Durham
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Bad service, a real old-fashioned dump”
Reviewed 29 October 2012

If you are under 50 I wouldn't recommend this place at all - it is a vast, impersonal, shabby- looking dump that's way over-priced for what it is and seems to cater for people with a taste-bypass. It just goes to prove what a completely shambolic system we have for rating hotels. Overrated and over-priced.

We were kept awake until 2.30 in the morning by a load of drunks in the next room bawling, shouting and swearing. To top it all off - at breakfast the waitress had no notification of us being booked in, most of the tables were empty of people but full of breakfast things that had not been cleared away, so they dumped three of us on a table meant for 12, in a cavernous 'function room' on our own. When I complained the manager turned out to be as useful as a chocolate teapot. I asked them to cancel our breakfast as we were now going out for breakfast. And guess what? they still tried to charge us for it when we departed.

Our bedroom looked like a waiting room in a funeral parlour and the sink plug wouldn't work. The only positive things about the Ramside were that the cleanliness of the bedroom, the fact that it had loads of parking and that it's close to the A1 for a quick escape.

I wouldn't stay here again. Ever!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Mandy9245
Tim B, General Manager at Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 30 October 2012
Following your recent stay at Ramside Hall Hotel, we are naturally disappointed that your experience did not meet your expectations.

Ramside Hall Hotel is very proud of its 4 star rating, with refurbished accommodation facilities and plans well underway to extend bedrooms, leisure and spa services. The vast number of returning guests is testament to the standard of guest care we deliver, making us the hotel of choice in the region.

With regard to breakfast service, in order that we can meet demand at peak periods it is sometimes necessary to extend seating into our conference room. Had you made us aware that you particularly want to be seated in Pemberton's this could have been arranged for you.

Whilst I appreciate it is unlikely you will return to Ramside Hall Hotel, should you change your mind please do not hesitate to contact me directly so that I may oversee arrangements on your behalf.

Tim Boyd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
Northamptonshire, UK
Reviewed 25 October 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for just one night and I was travelling on business.

The hotel staff are very welcoming and they cannot do enough for you to ensure your stay is enjoyable and relaxing. I arrived at around 7pm and I decided to eat in The Rib Room steak house and I wished I hadn't bothered, the Thai curry I ordered was very poor and lacked any taste apart from thick cream.

Don't let this put you off because there is a carvery in the other part of he hotels restaurant and my colleague ate there the following night and said it was great food and great value at 2 meals for £10.

I would stay again but eat away from The Rib Room.

Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
scotland
Reviewed 23 October 2012

We booked this hotel for a family get-together and it was ideal for our purposes. Staff were very kind,courteous and helpful and the building was spotlessly clean.Bedrooms ,also, were very clean and comfortable ,as were the beds. Breakfast was enjoyable and provision had been made for the whole family to eat at one table for all meals. Our evening meal was a little disappointing as it was felt the quality of the cooking could have been improved. The restaurant was very busy and so was very noisy and the loudness of the music/ singer contributed to that. We had not been told of the option of eating in the steak-room so next time we will make sure we do just that. There will be a next time as the entire family enjoyed our stay very much.

Room Tip: In spite of there being another 2 functions at the same time as our stay, all bedrooms were very qui...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Tim B, General Manager at Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 7 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at Ramside Hall Hotel.

I am delighted how pleased you were our facilities and standard of guest care you received and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Valletta, Malta
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Be warned, go early! The carvery gets absolutley packed, and after 12.30 it gets difficult to find a seat, and after a heafty sunday roast with all the trimmings, which is cooked to perfection, you can see why.

Before we ordered, we watched peoples plates pass our table thinking how did they get that much food on them! Then we joined the end of the queue and the choices of carvery were so tempting, it really is hard to resist. For a meagre £9.95 you don't have to eat again all day! Well done Ramside Hall!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pensionerposter
Thank you for posting a review of your recent Sunday lunch at Pembertons Carvery.

I am delighted at how pleased you were and please be assured your comments will be shared with our team.

I hope that we shall be able to welcome you back in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2012

We went to the Ramside Hall Hotel to celebrate my cousins 90th birthday, many of her family flew in from distant parts including friends there were 50+ present, so it was a real family get together. The Ramside was perfect for such an event, the staff were excellent, the lunch celebration was marvellous , and everyone enjoyed themselves.

I would like to mention two of the staff by name Amy and Janis who were extra special on our arrival and departure, thank you both

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Tim B, General Manager at Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 24 October 2012
Thank you for choosing Ramside Hall Hotel for your very special family celebration and I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed your visit.

Please be assured that your comments will be shared with the team and we hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

UK
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Well this hotel provided me with not just one but two first time experiences neither of which were pleasant. Having pre-booked my stay, on arrival I was asked to pay in advance, this is the first time ever I have been asked to pay in advance for an hotel stay at any hotel including this one which I have stayed at many times over the last 20 years. I questioned this and was told by the receptionist that it was hotel policy and had been for all the time she had worked there which was over 4 years. I pointed out I had stayed many times in the last 4 years and never paid in advance but paid and went to my room. Shortly after I received a telephone call from the reception supervisor , experience number two, complaining that I had upset the receptionist and this was unacceptable as she was only doing her job !! I have to seriously question an establishment which calls itself a first class hotel and demands full payment up front , and allows its staff to chastise the customers for complaining. If you want a first class experience this hotel is certainly not for you.

Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank Helsy
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2012

I often use the Ramside hall as a place to meet people for business meetings. It offers a quiet and peaceful lounge area between the cavery and the conference rooms. Ideal for the quiet business meeting without the hussle and bussle of the high street or busy cafes.
The prices I would say are reasonable and what can be expected of such a nice place. There is plently of parking and it is FREE unlike meeting in the city centres. I have also attended a number of larger business events and meetings in the meeting rooms and do find them to be one of the best in the region. The food is also very good at these events and very well presented.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of Ramside Hall Hotel following your most recent visit.

I am delighted how pleased you are with our meeting room and restaurant facilities and hope that we shall have the opportunity of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Tim Boyd
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County
The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Rockliffe Hall
Rockliffe Hall
#1 of 1 in Hurworth-on-Tees

Been to Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!