“Christmas cabaret”

Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Durham
sunderland
“Christmas cabaret”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We went to the Ramside for a Xmas party and it was well attended.
For once at this type of party we were not stuck like sardines plenty of room on all tables and around the tables.
Food was piping hot and well laid out and enough for what you paid for
The cabaret wasn't that bad depending on your expectations but for the price it was worth it
We opted to stay the night and I cannot complain about reception or the room, check in and out no problem maybe because it was a Thursday check in and Friday check out who knows, but the staff friendly and cheerful.
Rom was big, clean, well laid out and quiet, well after a few drinks any room is quiet.
Breakfast was a self service with plenty of good standard breakfast food.
Overall a good party night

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Tim B, Manager at Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 17 December 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
Haddington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

First of all we had a great deal here via internet offer - 50% discount. Having said that I didn't expect to be given an inferior room. We had booked a double but we were given a room which was reasonably spacious or at least it would have been if it hadn't contained two giant single beds. We were told on checkout that they could be used as queen doubles but they had only one set of wide pillows each. But that wasn't the worst part, the shower was useless, completely not fit for purpose with poor pressure, no control over temperature and the cover falling off. The reception knocked a bit off the bill to compensate but it's really not good enough. Finally the food, we ate in the Carvery but anything that has been under the heat lamps for several hours is basically destroyed, I ordered fish & chips, freshly cooked to order which were very good. Again at breakfast the hot food is dried up so ask for some fresh eggs to be prepared. No problems with queues unlike some other reviewers but I could see that there might be at weekends. Staff all very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and will pass on your comments
Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

My hubby and I spent a lovely night at this hotel after being impressed at the volume of positive reviews on Trip Advisor. We were in a deluxe double room, which had a giant bathroom, huge bed, a desk and a coffee table with chairs. Plenty of space yet cosy at the same time. Being able to request fresh milk for coffee/tea and a complimentary fruit basket was a nice touch. There was a strange energy saving light in the bathroom, which was activated by a sensor. However ours wasn't that good as it switched the light off while I was in there many times.

The hotel grounds are huge and very pretty. Sadly we didn't have time to explore then, nor the golf.

We had dinner in the Rib Room restaurant – both choosing steaks, locally reared and again raved about on TA so seemed the obvious choice. The food was delicious but the service lacked the personal touch I had expected. I asked to have onions omitted from my plate due to an allergy, but they still arrived. Usually in restaurants you get a bit bored of staff asking if everything is OK but not even once did someone ask us, which was a surprise (and gave me no chance to mention the order mix up). On our bill it didn’t state the no onions request so the girl clearly never wrote it down in the first place.

My hubby had the apple turnover for pudding but I’m not convinced it wasn’t frozen, as he was told there would be a wait til it was heated. Quite pricey if it wasn’t homemade/fresh and the portion was small. I had the ice cream sundae which was fine but nothing remarkable.

The hotel lobby was beautifully decorated for Christmas, with a big tree next to a roaring real fire. However the hallways were all freezing cold so the walk from the restaurant to the toilets (also cold) was somewhat bracing.

The breakfast buffet was plentiful with a huge choice of breads, fruit, cereals and the usual hot food (kept under lights). You could also order eggs freshly cooked to order, but the lady running the station frequently had to return to the kitchen as she didn’t seem to have a hob (I ordered boiled eggs).

However, minor niggles as a comfy bed, clean room and good food is what encourages me to return to a hotel so this one we certainly will visit again, and would recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Tim B, Manager at Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2013

This is a classic example of expansion versus service. It's a large hotel and the rooms are well presented, with good bathrooms. The Rib Room restaurant is good, and there are plenty of comfortable bar areas and lounges. On that front it can't be faulted, but the reception service is desultory at best, and the big disaster came at breakfast, when the restaurant is very seriously understaffed. There was a queue of about 30 people waiting for a table! So we headed for reception to order breakfast n our room, and were told casually, with no interest at all, that we were too late (it was 9.40 a.m.). Very fortunately we had paid in advance for room only and paid for our dinner in the Rib Room, so we did not need to check out formally; had we needed to do so it would have taken at least half an hour as there were so many people waiting for attention. Nice facilities, shame about the management and staff.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Amanda J
Thank you for your comments and will pass on to all concerned
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed here for a function and found it a very friendly and plush hotel.The bar staff really know their trade and it has an extensive and exotic range.The rooms and the shower were excellent as was the breakfast. The lounge areas are in the country house style and in a lovely setting. Best hotel I have stayed in for a good while.

Stayed November 2013
Thank you for your comments and 5 star rating
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013

This hotel oozes quality. The room we had on the top floor was first class and presented and decorated to a high standard. The stars bar was worth a visit.

Breakfast was a disaster. Huge queues, no orange juice, cold tea and constantly running out of food causing further delay.

There were insufficient staff and no control. I requested some milk for my tea and it never arrived. A great hotel let down by poor service at breakfast

County Durham
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We decided to book the DBB deal which gave £50 allowance towards the bill in The Rib Room for a little pre Christmas get away. At point of booking we upgraded our room to a deluxe. The last time we stayed at the hotel was after our wedding in 1997, so we were looking forward to staying again.
After a lovely walk around Durham we headed for the hotel at about 3.30pm. I would describe the check in as very matter of fact, we were given all of the information we needed but there was no personal interaction at all. Don't get me wrong I don't want to stand there and have a chat like we're old friends, but it just felt very impersonal.
As mentioned on TA before, you have to pay up front, I have never had to do this in a hotel before and do not understand why this is the policy here.
We were very pleasantly surprised with our room. It had a lobby area with wardrobe, drawers, kettle etc with the bathroom leading off and then into the bedroom which was huge. It had a wooden floor, huge leather sleigh bed and a sofa, chair and coffee table by the window. The bathroom had obviously been refitted and was very bright and modern.
Rather than going to the hotel lounge we decided to just relax in the room reading the Sunday papers until it was time to get ready and go for dinner.
We were given a nice table at the back corner of the restaurant looking on to the meat larder, everybody had been nicely spaced out. I found it just warm enough but at times a little chilly.
The service was excellent and we enjoyed our food. My king prawn linguine starter was gorgeous, but found the tuna in my nicoise over seasoned and a little too thick for my preference. My husband had the porterhouse steak, which he said was the best he had had. The olive bread that was served before the meal was amazing. We had no room at all for dessert, so just decided to go to the bar for a drink. There weren't any comfy seats available, but again the temperature was on the chilly side so we only stayed for one drink.
The bed was nice and comfy, but the raidiator in the room was quite noisy and I could hear it all through the night. Also because the doors from the room into the lobby area and then into the bathroom are glass panelled if anyone went to the bathroom in the night the light really disturbed the other person.
Breakfast the next morning was very nice, the cooked options were hot and we enjoyed what we had.
Check out again was fine. I think we were asked if everything had been ok.
I think the deal we had was decent value for money (even more so if we hadn't upgraded the room). Would I stay again....I'm not sure, but we certainly had a nice night away and some lovely food.

1 Thank RuthH
Tim B, Manager at Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thank you for your comments and hope to see you again
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
#1 of 1 in Seaham
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,311 reviews
Premier Inn Durham City Centre
The Honest Lawyer Hotel

Been to Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!