“Beautiful Hotel, could of been better ”

Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Durham
“Beautiful Hotel, could of been better ”
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend booked for us to stay at the hotel at the end of November as a surprise for me for our Anniversary.

We arrived at the hotel and oh my goodness it was beautiful! Just what I like!

Very quick and easy check in by Amy. We stayed in one of the Four poster bedrooms which was amazing!

Both nights we had room service. Once from the normal menu and once from the Rib Room, the steak was perfect!! However on ordering on the second night Saturday 30th November, the Receptionist was not at all pleasant! It felt like too much trouble for her to take our order, we were not offered any extras such as drinks, sauces or side orders so when I called reception again to add on a drink I had forgotten, oh my was she unhappy!! It's was a 'Hello' with a what do you want again attitude. This is just not what I expect in a 4 star hotel especially with it been an AA hotel!

On the second night there must of been an event taking place as when we were trying to get to sleep we could hear the music it was rather loud. We were so tired we just didn't want to call down to reception again, the receptionist would probably of eaten us alive! Anyway we mentioned on check out about the noise and all we got was 'well did you let us know!' We felt far too embarrassed to say we didn't want to call down because of the receptionist on duty.....

Overall we loved the hotel but unsure if we would return due to the attitude of that once person which is such a shame.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Tim B, General Manager at Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Thank you for posting a review of your stay at Ramside Hall Hotel & Golf Club in November,

On behalf of the team, I am sorry that not all aspects of your stay met your expectations but sincerely hope that should you decide to plan a stay in the area again you will consider a return visit to our hotel and in which case I would invite you to contact me directly so that I may oversee the arrangements on our behalf.

Tim Boyd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
Bishop Auckland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Stayed from Xmas Eve till Boxing Day and had a fabulous time. From checking in to checking out the staff were FABULOUS, nothing was too much trouble, special mention to Vikki on reception and Callum, trainee duty manager, who we got along famously with.
We were lucky enough to be given the room we would have chosen from the website which got the break off to a great start. The meal in the Rib Room on Xmas eve was fabulous, one of the best steaks we have ever had, as were the breakfasts and the Xmas day buffet which was exceptional, but I'm afraid the Xmas day lunch was very disappointing, food was cold, beef was too tough to cut and the gravy was like tepid consomme !! but the waiting staff were fantastic and worked their socks off.
Overall we had a fabulous time and would definately do it again but have the turkey !!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for choosing Ramside Hall Hotel & Golf Club for your Christmas celebrations.

We are delighted to read how pleased you were with the overall experience but do note your comments with regard to Christmas Day dining.

Your custom is important to us and we sincerely hope you will choose our hotel again in the future and in which case I would invite you to contact me directly so that I may oversee the arrangements on your behalf.

I hope to see you back at our hotel again in the very near future.

newcastle upon tyne
Reviewed 23 December 2013

My wife and I booked the "dine and stay" deal for a special occasion on 22nd December. Our double room had an excellent king sized bed and was smartly decorated with a fantastic tartan carpet but the chairs should have been re-upholstered some time ago. The bathroom was disapointingly showing signs of age and i had to clean the bath before use. Although we didn't need it,the towel rail didn't heat up whilst we were there.

The dine package gives you a £50 voucher towards food in the Rib bar and we duly turned up fashionably late. Very dismayed to be offered the worse table in the not busy room i.e the one everyone walks past, but refused this and was seated in the "upper" section. Have to say we were expecting a somewhat more romantic setting that what is really no better than a weatherspoons "pack them in".

Having been sat down we than waiting 10 minutes before our drinks order was taken, then a further 10 minutes before any of the less than rushed off their feet staff bothered to take our food order. You might be getting the drift here but hold on - the food - putting service to one side - is deserving of the 4 stars. We had scallops (eventially), cooked to perfection ( that takes 30 seconds not 40 minutes) followed by Chateaubriand ( an hour later) which was delicious.

Couldn't be cheesed to wait for a dessert so clocked off 2 hours after entering restaurant.

As 2 fifty plus year olds we departed to our rooms do you what we do, play online poker, to find the hotel signal was too low for connection. Had to entertain ourselves.

In summary, the room price is fair (it was december 22nd) the food was good but pricey but the service, including corporate reception staff is lacking.

Would we go back?

1 Thank tonyndcarolnewcastle
Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay at Ramside Hall Hotel & Golf Club and we are naturally disappointed that you found some aspects of your stay less than satisfactory.

I do hope hope that you will consider a return visit to our hotel in which case I would kindly invite you to contact me directly so that I may oversee the booking arrangements on your behalf.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Myself and my husband recently attended the Las vagas night. My husband recently had a hip operation and struggles walking. The bishops suite is beautiful with a fantastic chandelier on arrival. The area was busy but once the doors where opened into the main room it was ok. A female manager assisted my husband into the room and made him comfortable her service was warm and welcoming and continuous throughout the night making sure everything was ok. The show was good just a shame people get up to dance so the view is restricted but as long as they are having a good time. I highly recommend the party night and therefore the hotel too, we will be returning very soon .

• Stayed December 2013
We are delighted to read how much you enjoyed the Las Vegas themed event at Ramside Hall Hotel & Golf Club and thank you for your very kind comments.

We sincerely hope you will consider a return visit to our hotel again very soon.

sunderland
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We went to the Ramside for a Xmas party and it was well attended.
For once at this type of party we were not stuck like sardines plenty of room on all tables and around the tables.
Food was piping hot and well laid out and enough for what you paid for
The cabaret wasn't that bad depending on your expectations but for the price it was worth it
We opted to stay the night and I cannot complain about reception or the room, check in and out no problem maybe because it was a Thursday check in and Friday check out who knows, but the staff friendly and cheerful.
Rom was big, clean, well laid out and quiet, well after a few drinks any room is quiet.
Breakfast was a self service with plenty of good standard breakfast food.
Overall a good party night

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Tim B, Manager at Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Haddington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

First of all we had a great deal here via internet offer - 50% discount. Having said that I didn't expect to be given an inferior room. We had booked a double but we were given a room which was reasonably spacious or at least it would have been if it hadn't contained two giant single beds. We were told on checkout that they could be used as queen doubles but they had only one set of wide pillows each. But that wasn't the worst part, the shower was useless, completely not fit for purpose with poor pressure, no control over temperature and the cover falling off. The reception knocked a bit off the bill to compensate but it's really not good enough. Finally the food, we ate in the Carvery but anything that has been under the heat lamps for several hours is basically destroyed, I ordered fish & chips, freshly cooked to order which were very good. Again at breakfast the hot food is dried up so ask for some fresh eggs to be prepared. No problems with queues unlike some other reviewers but I could see that there might be at weekends. Staff all very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and will pass on your comments
Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

My hubby and I spent a lovely night at this hotel after being impressed at the volume of positive reviews on Trip Advisor. We were in a deluxe double room, which had a giant bathroom, huge bed, a desk and a coffee table with chairs. Plenty of space yet cosy at the same time. Being able to request fresh milk for coffee/tea and a complimentary fruit basket was a nice touch. There was a strange energy saving light in the bathroom, which was activated by a sensor. However ours wasn't that good as it switched the light off while I was in there many times.

The hotel grounds are huge and very pretty. Sadly we didn't have time to explore then, nor the golf.

We had dinner in the Rib Room restaurant – both choosing steaks, locally reared and again raved about on TA so seemed the obvious choice. The food was delicious but the service lacked the personal touch I had expected. I asked to have onions omitted from my plate due to an allergy, but they still arrived. Usually in restaurants you get a bit bored of staff asking if everything is OK but not even once did someone ask us, which was a surprise (and gave me no chance to mention the order mix up). On our bill it didn’t state the no onions request so the girl clearly never wrote it down in the first place.

My hubby had the apple turnover for pudding but I’m not convinced it wasn’t frozen, as he was told there would be a wait til it was heated. Quite pricey if it wasn’t homemade/fresh and the portion was small. I had the ice cream sundae which was fine but nothing remarkable.

The hotel lobby was beautifully decorated for Christmas, with a big tree next to a roaring real fire. However the hallways were all freezing cold so the walk from the restaurant to the toilets (also cold) was somewhat bracing.

The breakfast buffet was plentiful with a huge choice of breads, fruit, cereals and the usual hot food (kept under lights). You could also order eggs freshly cooked to order, but the lady running the station frequently had to return to the kitchen as she didn’t seem to have a hob (I ordered boiled eggs).

However, minor niggles as a comfy bed, clean room and good food is what encourages me to return to a hotel so this one we certainly will visit again, and would recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Tim B, Manager at Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County
The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Rockliffe Hall
Rockliffe Hall
#1 of 1 in Hurworth-on-Tees

Been to Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!