“Change of attitude”

Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
“Change of attitude”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I have used the Ramside a number of times now and have found the place to be comfortable and helpful. However on my recent visit I was asked to 'swipe a card'. As always I declined this stating I would use cash only. This has never been an issue in the past.
The Lady on reception this time however stated that "She would stamp my card as 'cash only' this time but policy had changed and in futute I would not be allowed to stay unless I did swipe my credit card".
I explained that my room was booked through the Company I work for and therefore they have all my contact details and insurance should I incur damages etc. This was rejected out of hand.
I went on to explain that I was reluctant to divulge my credit card details because a number of years ago £200 was taken from my card from a hotel and when I queried this they had no records of it. I had become a victim of credit card theft.
The lady on reception restated the policy that if in future I book a room, whether through a company or not, if I refuse to swipe my card then I would not be allowed to stay.

I replied that sadly I would then be forced to book with another hotel. Her response was quite flippant and to the effect that I am free to make that choice.

This has soured my opinion of what was up till now a friendly and helpful Hotel. I shall now book into a central Durham Hotel. Are Hotels doing so well these days that they can alienate customers? Especially customers who work for large companies who can influence the booking policy of their own colleagues as I most certainly will.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Chris H
Tim B, Manager at Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Thank you for your review and will pass your comments on regarding our policy.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
York
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

Just spent one night at this hotel on a stay and dine package at £129 in a deluxe room on the second floor over looking the golf course, the package included £50 towards dinner in the Rib Restaurant on Saturday evening.
On booking online we received a courtesy call from a very friendly member of staff, which was helpful as I wanted to book Sunday lunch as we were planning entertaining friends who live locally.
On checking-in we were again warmly greeted by friendly and helpful staff.
The room was extremely spacious if not huge with a very large bed, the bathroom having been recently refurbished was contemporary in white brick style tiling, two washbasins and a massive bath more than big enough for two.
The hotel provides a number of bar areas, function rooms and dinning areas, we had a lovely hot beef sandwich for lunch sat in a comfy lounge overlooking the garden and fountain.
Our evening dinner in the Rib Restaurant was excellent again served by friendly and attentive staff, it was busy that evening with over 130 dining in the restaurant. There is also a carvery in another part which is also busy and very popular, the helpings look huge.
Sunday lunch was again first class, good quality cuts of meat, plenty of vegetables.
On checking out the staff were again very helpful and polite.
The hotel is currently expanding with building work to construct a health suite with swimming pool and a further extension of room, none of this work caused any problems during in our stay and when completed in April 2015 will further enhance this excellent hotel.

Thank you for your comments and 5 star review and hope to see you again soon
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We stayed recently for a one night birthday celebration and have nothing but praise for all involved. Greeted by very friendly and helpful reception staff, beautiful clean and comfortable room and a fantastic meal / drinks all made up for an excellent experience. Would have no hesitation to recommend and will definitely return. Only one minor irritation was the wifi signal was very poor and couldn't get a connection but that wouldn't deter me from a future stay at Ramside Hall.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank NA1976
Thank you for your review and will pass on your comments to all concerned
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Just returned from an overnight stay (only wish it could have been longer) but we have already booked our next stay!!! From arriving until we left everything was superb staff, food and the cleanliness was second to none.

1 Thank Christine C
Tim B, Manager at Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thank you for your review and 5 star rating
Catterick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I booked Ramside Hall for a romantic break and wasn't disappointed! The building is a typical country hall hotel set in magnificent grounds and with it's own golf course too. The room was spacious and although it felt slightly dated in my eyes, it was in keeping with the style and period of the building. The tea/coffee making facitilies and complimentary toiletries were better than your average hotel. The food in the restaurant was superb and the staff were friendly and attentive. At just £40 for a double room via Booking.com, would definitely stay here again

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Booked online a week in advance & it wasn't cheap we paid extra for the room with a 4 poster bed on arrival all seemed good there is some construction starting in the from of the hotel , registered & went to room only to find we had a ground floor room with large white wooden board just outside the window not to bad but would of expected to be told about this prior to booking.
The room was old style furniture & bed but clean & a nice modern bathroom.
The hotel was very nice sitting the bar while someone played the piano & singing was very nice & relaxing.
Breakfast was nice & fresh with options.

All in all a bit disappointing with the view from room for the price paid & when I said to checkout girl they just said ooh sorry we do try to inform people about the building work but no discount or anything offered as a discount ect.

Would I go back I ask myself & the answer is no it's was just to much money for b&b maybe if they had offered something for the view issue I might of said yes I would return.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and sorry about the view at present. We do offer lots of deals on our stay and dine please look out for these as we would like to see you again
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Stayed here for three nights. Had a deluxe room which was absolutely beautiful - the bathroom and complimentary toiletries were fab! Tea and coffee facilities in room were very generous. Food in the carvery area was fantastic and good value - nice to have a proper coffee shop in there too! Staff were fantastic, all really friendly and welcoming - especially the reception staff! Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your comments and review and hope to see you again soon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
Rockliffe Hall
Rockliffe Hall
#1 of 1 in Hurworth-on-Tees
The Honest Lawyer Hotel

Been to Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!