“First class hotel on the edge of Durham”

Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Durham
Penrith, United Kingdom
“First class hotel on the edge of Durham”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed here for one night on a business conference. Fantastic hotel very comfortable. Golf course adjacent and swimming pool with spa being built at the moment. Easy check in, loads of parking, room available immediately on my arrival. Large hotel but feels homely. Plenty of room to lose yourself in work if need be. Full wifi throughout. Two pints of Castle Eden real ale in the Pemberton bar plus a superb beef sandwich from the ever open buffet comprised my late lunch.
Buffet meals are available throughout the day and they are of excellent quality.
Taxi from Durham railway station to the hotel £7. Breakfast buffet had everything needed to get a good start on the day and again taken in the Pemberton suite. Cannot fault this hotel in any way and worth the journey just outside of the City.

Room Tip: I was on the second floor with no one above me so that helped to avoid the usual herd of wildebeeste...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Tim B, Manager at Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thank you for staying with us at Ramside Hall and for taking the time to share your views and write a review.

We are all delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to Ramside Hall in the near future for another stay. Be sure to keep an eye on our website for all of our special promotions and offers.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

A fabulous hotel ideally situated off the A1(m). Surrounded by a golf course - the scenery is so beautifully peaceful.

We were lucky enough to get one of the presidential suites for our stay - which had a living room, bath and shower room with double bedroom. The McIntyre suite has vintage decor and I really did feel as though I had stepped back in time. Every comfort was available.

Service of room was excellent - very clean and done daily.

Breakfast was full english and good quality (I certainly stuffed my face!)

Staff were friendly and very helpful.

The hotel offers steak and rib room for evening, or a carvery. I visited both during my stay and enjoyed all that I ate.

Overall a great experience which really added to my break away.

Room Tip: Try the presidential suites - they are fabulous and a great way to treat yourself to a bit of luxury
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

We are all delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to make it a memorable one. We look forward to welcoming you back to Ramside Hall in the near future for another stay. Be sure to keep an eye on our website for all of our special promotions and offers.
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Last minute decision for my birthday, outside as you pull into drive inn..looks stunning, rooms fabulous, food lovely, mind you have to have a fancy for that type interior to feel comfortable there, I could live there 5 stars all day long :)) my girls absolutely loved it too :)) xx

Room Tip: Our room 325 was perfect
1 Thank ivitareinkopa

Stevenage
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Stayed at Ramside Hall on the way to Scotland. Used as a overnight stay.. We had a room which overlooked the rear of the hotel. It was very quiet, nicely decorated and clean and spacious.

We went to the clubhouse at the Golf Course for a couple of pints and a sandwich. It was reasonably price.

We booked a table in the Steakhouse for the evening meal. They have a cold room where the meat is kept and you can pick out which piece of meat you would like to be cooked. The meal was fantastic. The steaks were cooked to perfection and the accompaniments were very good also. The Staff were friendly and helpful and we liked the atmosphere in the restaurant. It was relaxed with nice background music playing.

Overall our stay ay Ramside Hall was a very enjoyable experience and I would definitely stay there again and recommend it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

my sister and myself with her daughter and friend stayed at this hotel on 28.5.2014.
when we arrived early it was advised our rooms were not ready which was not a problem, we left our bags behind reception and informed the receptionist that we wouldn't arrive back until after midnight as the the teenagers were going to see one direction. this wasn't a problem. they arranged for us to get a taxi into Durham which was the firm which was recommended by the hotel. I would advise this taxi firm are a danger to people as on our way back to the hotel the driver kept answering his mobile phone and doing 90 in a 50 zone we were very scared. on arrival back at the hotel the concierge was very condensing to my sister and was not helpful at all. I would advise anyone wishing to use this hotel not to do so.

2 Thank elizabeth n
Thank you for your review and will take up the issue with the Taxi company. We will also take up your comments regarding the night staff. We are sorry that you will not be returning as we value ourself on the customer feedback we receive.
Leeds
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My wife and I went here for a two-night break and I have to say that location is wonderful, very peaceful. General facilities can't be faulted and the room was large with a comfy bed. Staff were excellent as well. The main reasons we went were to go to the Lindisfarne Gospels exhibition in Durham and also because it wasn't a chain hotel. Chain hotels are great but on this occasion, we wanted a bit more comfort and more luxurious surroundings, and it had a well respected meat restaurant.
We rarely eat meat but when we do, we like fillet steak and it's difficult to get a properly cooked one.
Ramside Hall uses locally-reared animals (they tell you how long each cut has been hung for and where it has come from) so we thought we would give it a try.
Whilst the staff in the restaurant (and as with all their staff) did their best to rectify the disappointing meal, I have to say that the fillet we received was tough.
Can you believe that?
Fillet steak - tough! Everything else was fine but we were so disappointed.
As I said in my headline, I'm sure they just had a bad day which can happen to anyone and I would certainly recommend the place to you.

Room Tip: Phone first
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and will pass on your comments to our Head Chef
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my 84 year old mum, husband and dog. Visiting mums birthplace this hotel was convenient and allowed dogs. Rooms ok mums had disability access so wet room ideal for her. We had to sign dog policy on arrival agreeing not to let our dog breathe( well nearly!) . Room had black stains on carpet( from previous dogs?) , a door into grounds which was useful although mums had about 20 cigarette ends outside hers. ( which were removed quickly when reception told) . Had carvery very good. Bars nice. Main disappointment was dog policy really.would rather they just said dogs not welcome.

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you for your review and will deal with the issues with your room. Our dog policy is usally well received and accepted by other dog owners. We hope to see you and your family again in the future. Many thanks for your comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
#1 of 1 in Seaham
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,314 reviews
Premier Inn Durham City Centre
The Honest Lawyer Hotel

Been to Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!