“Getting Better all the Time”

Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 17 March 2009

I did not book this hotel myself, it was booked for me. If I had read the reviews beforehand, I think I would have asked to go elsewhere but ...

If I had gone elsewhere I would have missed out on a great hotel. It is clear that the hotel is putting a lot of effort into cleaning, modernising and refreshing itself. It still maintains the traditional charm and character but has cleaned itself so that this can be presented in the best light.
My room was very spacious with a huge bed. The bed was not only huge but also very comfortable and I had a fantastic sleep. The bathroom did look a bit tired but there was nothing else to fault the room.
Most of the reviews seem to criticise the food. Sadly I have to agree, apart from the breakfast, the food was probably the weakest part of the hotel. If you are a foodie or enjoy a great meal then this is not the place for you to stay. The food tended to be basic and portions huge. there was only a poor selection for vegetarians.
The bar was great with three real ales on tap and a fair selection of whiskies, it also had a good atmosphere unlike many hotel bars.
Golf is the theme of this hotel and the grounds are given over to a golf course and driving range.
They also appear to hold party nights in an adjacent ballroom, often with tribute bands. Thankfully there was none of this during my stay!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 11 March 2009

We recently stayed at the Ramside Hotel to attend a charity function and I am sorry to report, we will not be returning there again.

Upon arrival, we were impressed with the entrance to the hotel and the surrounding gardens. The bedroom was attractive, well furnished and the bed comfortable. Unfortunately, our positive experience was short lived.

The following morning, the breakfast room was chaotic. There was a long queue of guests waiting in a line for both cold and hot food with only one server. When the bacon ran out, everyone waited for 10 minutes for more to be cooked. The quality of food resembled the standard of a roadside cafe. Our toast never did arrive and we left as quickly as possible.

I completed a customer questionnaire, emailed and wrote to the manager with my comments but it is over a week and I have not had an acknowledgement.

Take a tip from me and avoid this place like the plague.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2008

Having decided to show four of our Lancashire friends our native North East we opted for the Ramside. Most other hotels were booked for a Saturday night and we had previously stayed here. but reviews seemed to be terrible.
We paid £160 per room for dinner bed and breakfast. When we arrived we were quickly allocated our rooms and all were of the same standard, traditional decor and clean. Everything worked in the room so no problems. Food in the evening was above average although 2 of our party sent their pate back as it appeared to be 'off'. Service was good although the restaurant manager was a little brusque but very efficient. If you book DBB the dinner is taken from the al a carte menu and there appears to be no limits. This is much better value than opting for the carvery as in effect we paid £30 per couple for a dinner that should have ben £65. I must stress i would have been reluctant to pay that for the meal we had!
There was a wedding party which did not disturb us unduly until about 2am when they were charging down the corriddor shouting at the top of there voices.
Breakfast was good and a relax affair after we had asked to be moved back into the main room as the again efficient manager had tried to sideline us to an ante room that look ready for a large gathering. The young staff ,and a special mention to the Romania waitress were very friendly and efficient.
When we checked out unusually for most hotels someone had used their initiative and divided our drinks bill for dinner into 3 so saved us messing about late. Overall an enjoyable stay so try not to be put off by the poor reviews

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 August 2008

Visited the hotel a couple of weekends back for a wedding. The place is dismal. The fucntion room was in desperate need to be redecorated, and the carpets thread=bare in places.

The food was bland and cold.

The staff had a 'I couldn't give a toss' aire about them, and for receptionists seemed so far above themselves. I had course to come accross a 'gathering' of managers who didn't seem to want to break away from the chat to serve me waiting at the bar.

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank Durham_Bloke
Reviewed 31 May 2008

As part of a staff development event the company booked an over night stay. The hotel was clean and comfortable and the evening meal was satisfactory. We were served a very good cooked breakfast. Staff were very pleasant and helpful. The grounds are absolutely stunning. Perhaps a good choice for golfers and weddings but other than that not what I expected for the prices that are charged. My bedroom had a bowl with a wizened orange and apple that no one would eat. The house champagne was very expensive and the quality of the red wine was very dissappointing. Most chose to leave the red wine.
It did not match up to my expectations as a quality hotel so very dissappointing.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 9 March 2008

I recently was a guest at a wedding here, and although living in Durham thought we would make a weekend of it and stay over the night as well to save trying to get home and have breakfast with my other family members the next morning.

I really cannot recommend this hotel at all, for anything. It looks very nice as you go up the drive, but that's where the good experience ended. The wediing was organised chaos, there didn't seem any responsible managers looking after the event. It ws like one of those TV documentries where they see if school kids can run the place for a day!!!!

The drink was expensive, the food at the reception was awful (cold and awful food is even worse).

Talking to the bride the hotel appear to be totally inflexible about who you can and can't use as a DJ and other items she wanted for HER wedding day. The function rooms we used seemed very tired, and needed painting and carpets replacing.

Next morning the hotel was that full, breakfasts were spread accross 3 rooms, so no chance of sitting with my family!!! The brekfast was cold (must be a speciality of the hotel) and didn't seem to be of quality stuff as it was very greasy.

I can't knock the rooms they are nice, but expensive to stay. Could be cleaner though. It's also a noisey hotel, with lots going on.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Emma_Ba
Reviewed 7 March 2008

I stayed for one night for my brorthers birthday, me and my friend had 2 giant double beds, the rooms was really really nice. The bathroom was very clean and our pattio doors opened up on to the golf course, the view was lovley. The wedding was fab, the food was fab, the hotel was fab, they attended to every detail. No faults at all.

• Stayed: August 2005, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Redworth Hall Hotel
Redworth Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Redworth

Been to Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!