“Good Day But Food was Terrible”

Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Durham
England
“Good Day But Food was Terrible”
Reviewed 21 February 2011

Went for ladies day at ramside fab day but the food was terrible for the price we had paid. Also the ladies Toilets was full of sick for over 3 hrs and my pal had complained but nothink was done about it x

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2011

Following on from Peter Shaws comments I would recommend anyone who stays over that they insist on seeing a copy of the Terms and Conditions before booking and read them carefully, also ask for any other policies that they state they have but dont go out of their way to show you. Also if you do stay there, before you leave get a member of staff to accompany you to sign off that your room is in good order. When we went there the hotel was empty and obviously struggling, there seems to be a culture of 'making' on clients, dont give them any opportunity. Otherwise a pleasant place to stay, the golf is very good value, breakfast over cooked and hard and expensive at £10 though. They ruined what had been a fantastic weekend. We found better deals nearer to Durham with more reputable organisations. Staff and management never get back to you following a complaint, be warned.

1 Thank Shabba68
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2011

My self and two friends stayed here for 1 night and through out our whole stay we were comfortable and were made welcome. Upon leaving at 10am we played golf, visited Durham and eventually made our way home at apprx. 6pm.
Four days later my friend who booked the room had £80 withdrawn from his account with no prior knowledge although the hotel had his mobile number. Upon investigation they had withdrawn the money for a 'soild' mattress that we had done on The Friday evening. We asked which mattress had been soild to which we concluded was mine. I there for called the hotel and requested they return the money to my friends account and that I should pay for the 'soild' mattress but not before having some answers.
Talking to the hotel manager I informed her that I have not since memory 'soild' a mattress but she informed me that the hotel maid has 20 years service and that it was urine on the mattress not sweat. I informed the manager that I am a hairy man and that I sweat alot but there was no way what so ever that it was urine.
I informed the manager that it was my word against the maids and now that 4 days had passed and at the time we could of been called back to see the'soild' mattress but now we could not being almost 200 miles away. The hotel did not issue their terms & conditions to either my friends or myself. I have asked myself is this another way of a hotel getting more money from its customers?
A good weekend ruined.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
KatherineDurham, Front Office Manager at Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 5 March 2011
Following on from your comments. Firstly apologies, that you feel your weekend was ruined post check out, but I feel I must address some of your comments.
The hotel did issue the booker with a confirmation letter, which he confirmed to me he had received, clearly outlining the hotels policies, however we only issue one confirmation to the booker, although you and a further colleague shared the room with him. Credit/debit card details are taken to confirm all bedrooms, which was given by your colleague at the time of booking. The reason the charge was made, which was confirmed by the Housekeeper, was for a 'soiled' mattress, which had to be removed from the bed to be cleaned because of a wet patch, which had not only stained the top of the mattress, but seeped through to the valance underneath. We are a 4* establishment and would never compromise on cleanliness and for that reason the room was put out of service the following evening, although we were fully booked. I have been in contact with yourself and your colleague on several occasions by both telephone and email and dispute we use 'other ways of getting more money from customers', we offer value for money along with very high standards which we extend to all of our guests, without exception.
Sunderland
Reviewed 30 December 2010

Following my husbands work's Christmas Party with Re-Take That playing, we stayed over in one of the Premium Four Poster Rooms and I have to say it was one of the best rooms I have stayed in in a hotel, with regard to furnishings and room size, however a mini fridge would have been a basic addition I would expect in a room of this standard. The breakfast was excellent and the whole experience of the hotel was excellent. Would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Whitby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 December 2010

The Hotel was of a high standard but the shortage of staff and the lack of trained staff spoiled our Christmas stay ,
An example of the poor staff training was when we asked for crakers to go with our cheese , The waiter brought the crakers in his hand and the spread them over the cheese ! no plates ! poor hygiene ! The lack of staff was a real issue as we spent what was to be a relaxcing christmas holiday chasing staff for coffee tea cups milk etc

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank geordieinwhitby
durham, uk
Reviewed 20 December 2010

attended the ramside for a christmas party night. we were seated at the back of the room with a large post directly in between us and the stage. therefore hardly saw any of the entertainment. definately not worth 40 pounds! the food was okay but not fantastic. best part was the salmon parcels, followed by an okay turkey dinner then a dry chocolate cake and overpriced alcohol in dirty glasses. wont be attending next year

• Stayed December 2010
Washington U.K
Reviewed 19 December 2010

Having read a previous review regarding the Re-Take That Christmas Party,we were a little apprehensive regarding the marquee bearing in mind the temp outside was -4 c, when we entered the heat blew you away literally!! .We were seated to the side of the stage beside the chocolate fountain,which the ladies in our party tasted and said it was divine!.We had to ask a member of staff to try and turn the blowers down as we were starting to melt....The bar service was very slow but you expect this as they use agency staff with no get up and go,I complained and then seemed better. Re-Take were musically brilliant,they even talk like them too,all round a brilliant Christmas show,they posed for pictures with most of the females that attended and were very friendly. The meal was a set Chicken dinner which was hot and tasted ok.We stayed overnight in the hotel,(as we have done on numerous occaisons)the rooms we booked this year were the standard rooms as the premier rooms were sold out,the premier rooms are worth paying the extra but the standard rooms are very good too.The full english breakfast was very good and the staff very helpfull. Roll on next year !!

• Stayed December 2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County
The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Rockliffe Hall
Rockliffe Hall
#1 of 1 in Hurworth-on-Tees

Been to Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!