“superb”

Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We stayed here as a treat for my partners 50th birthday. On the morning I rang the hotel to check everything was in order. I mentioned my partners birthday to the member of staff who turned out to be Stuart the reception manager. When we arrived later that day Stuart was waiting for us and had the special treat of an upgraded room with a lovely bottle of wine for no extra charge. I thought this was such a thoughtful touch and the suite was wonderful. It made our stay at the hotel very special. Thank-you :)

Room Tip: Just ask the staff I am sure they will be helpful
1  Thank northeastbev
Write a ReviewReviews (1,601)

Reviewed 24 February 2013

I've stayed here three times over the last couple of years, and it has been consistently good. I regularly stay at Marriotts in various different cities, and I must say that this one is perhaps not up to the usual Marriott standard - the common areas have a slightly tired feeling, and whilst the staff are certainly welcoming, a few of them look a little scruffy (ill-fitting, badly pressed uniforms). However, the rooms are certainly up to the usual Marriott standard - decent size, very clean, good bathroom and well-provided with tea, coffee etc. I haven't eaten in the restaurant so can't comment on breakfast; the bar is ok, although a bit short on seating - we had to sit outside in the foyer area for a late evening drink as all the seats were taken.

Overall I would recommend this hotel - it's very central and easy to walk to anywhere in central Durham within a few minutes.

1  Thank Richard P
Reviewed 24 February 2013

We spent a week at this hotel in Jan. Each time we go to the reception we have to wait quite a long time since they are busy. We got a room on the ground floor in front of the laundy. It was very noisy with phone ringing from very early in the morning and staff passing by every two minutes all the time. We asked for another room but the rude blond girl at the reception told us they were fully booked. The place is really old fashioned and the bathroom is dated, very cold with no heating and not comfy at all. The room is big but packed with huge dark and old cupboards taking all the room. Breakfast was good though.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kitine00
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Last weekend I had an overnight stay at the Durham Marriott Hotel booked for leisure. Overall I was impressed with the hotel in general but after returning home and looking at the bill I thought some sort of mistake had been made regarding a local telephone call I had made in the room. I phoned a local number and was on the phone around 50 minutes and the bill stated a charge of £47.00, after querying this with the hotel I was told this is what we charge and that I should have checked the card next to the phone regarding charges, who would have thought that you would be getting charged 0.80 per minute on a weekend for a local rate number, this is an absolute rip off and for other people to be aware of.

Room Tip: Rooms on river side are quiter
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank colleen f
Reviewed 23 February 2013

I often stay on business in Marriott hotels. Most are modern, 4 Star and provide the sort of facilities and service that you would expect; friendly and efficient. On this occasion I stayed with my partner on a social visit to my old College in the University.
The Royal County is a traditional quality hotel with standards to match. We had a friendly reception and we and our baggage very promptly taken to a really comfortable room with a spotless bathroom with jacuzzi bath.
We didn't eat in the restaurant but it looked fine and breakfast the following morning was from a menu that is possibly the most extensive I have come across; and everything was included in the price - no 'extras'.
Tea in the in the afternoon was very pleasant and a Cognac on our return from dinner in College was served in the comfortable bar.
Perfectly situated for the Cty centre, river and Cathedral and definitely The place to stay in Durham.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stuart W
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Had a lovely time in Durham. Visited castle and rest of sights. Hotel very good, staff very helpful. Room was fine but a little small and could not get air con to suit - too hot or blowing a gale! Took a trip to Beamish the next day. Very educational but lots of walking!

Room Tip: dont ask for ground floor room - we overlooked the carpark
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 February 2013

A very comfortable stay again in an hotel with an unbeatable location for a visitor to Durham.

The larger rooms are well furnished and spacious, the bed is very comfortable and breakfast service to the room is excellent at a remarkably modest price.

We did not eat in the hotel on this occasion but I was pleasantly surprised fifteen months ago at the quality of the food and service in the restaurant.

The bar is gloomy but since there is no natural light, it seems hard to see what could be done to make it more welcoming.

Now for the gripes-

You should not have to pay seperately for wifi in a hotel such as this.

Front of house was polite and efficient but there was no warmth evident. A special request made many days before was only noted after the room was allocated. Some guests checking in are offered drinks and canapes whilst others are not which seems arbitrary.

The bathrooms are small and starting to show their age.

Be aware that if the hotel ask you to submit a review to their marketing people, you cannot copy and paste your comments for use on a site such as this which is irritating

Room Tip: Pay the small amount extra fo a larger room