“Good hotel in city centre”

Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Located just across one of the main bridges in Durham, its easy to explore the city from this hotel. We had a Large room with an excellent massive bed with plenty of pillows. fantastic view overlooking the river. Staff really friendly and helpful. Great Breakfast

Room Tip: Riverside rooms - great view of the river
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

Myself and 6 friends stayed here one Saturday for a stag doo.

The staff where friendly and helpful with guests arriving at various times of the day. Our rooms where a fair size as the location was key for us.

Will probably book again for the wedding do night

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Stopped here for a couple of nights (Fri & Sat) as an anniversary treat - don't often strech to the likes of a Marriott but as usual, it was worth the extra you pay.
First off, straightforward to find and ideally located within a walk of anywhere you might want to go. The car park did look pretty full on arrival but managed to find a space - note that you pay £5 per night as a guest for the privilege.
Called in advance as we wanted to check there would be no problem consuming our own champage (received as a gift) on the premises - not only was it not a problem but they offered to keep it on ice until we were ready.
Made use of the leisure facilities on arrival - experience would have been improved had the facilities been in better keep. Pool was fine but a very odd shape with little scope for up and down lengths. Steam room was good but sauna and some showers out of action - saved rather by the single-user plunge pool. All in all, leisure facilities were a bit 'tired' and in need of some TLC.
Had meal in the hotel restaurant on the Friday - table was sprinkled with anniversary decorations and we were treated to a complimentary glass of champagne each - I guess thanks goes to Raymond on reception for this with whom I spoke prior to arrival. Food was great but let down by twice receiving a dish wrongly prepared despite reinforcing our requirements more than once when ordering.
The hotel bar was as expensive as you would expect but the surroundings pleasant enough.
The room we had was spacious and the beds as comfortable as ever. Only provided a heated air facility to warm the room when really, air conditioning was needed but we had to settle for a desk fan instead.
Breakfasts were good and nice to have the chef available to prepare omelettes and any non-standrad dishes.
Overall, Marriott's are still my favourite of the premier hotel chains and although a little tired in places, the Durham Marriott is still a very nice place to stay whilst visiting a small city full of charm.

Room Tip: I tend to prefer top floor rooms as you avoid any noise from above.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I had high expectations when I saw the Hotel and location, but I felt it was all a little tired. The bedroom I stayed in was quite old fashioned as was the bathroom and fittings, however the bed was very large and comfortable. The room itself was extremely hot as were all the surrounding corridors, and I had to sleep with the window fully open and was still uncomfortable all night.

The Hotel seemed to have a resonable spa area which I did not have time to visit, which would be a nice option for a weekend break.

The bar area seemed quite dark and unwelcoming, and I would have expected the Hotel to be able to capitalise more on their location by having some nice outdoor areas for drinking and eating, and to let some natural light into the building.

Breakfast was good, but service was slow with a number of people queing up for tables (they have a system where you have to be seated by the waiter/waitress)

parking was very convenient and fairly resonable for guests of the Hotel, and free wifi worked well in all areas of the Hotel. I get the feeling that this could be an excellent Hotel given a little extra development and some better facilities management..

Room Tip: The room I had was separated from the main hotel and this whole section was extremely hot (June) I w...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Richard T
Reviewed 22 June 2013

First of all, I've only ever stayed at The County when I've been in Durham, and each of my 3 trips have been for one night only, on University duty, picking up my daughter. The County is superbly located on Old Elvet and is perfect for Cathedral and town centre.
Free wi-fi in public areas is a welcome new addition. Check in is usually a really friendly affair. Staff are all locals and are very welcoming. Afternoon check in is usually accompanied by a free glass of wine. Car parking is on- site and is £5/ day. Arrive mid- afternoon to be sure of a space, it fills up v quickly.
Rooms are very ordinary but clean. The place could do with a facelift but it is an old building and sometimes a bit of a maze.
Get a riverside room if you've not stayed here before. Watching the hundreds of rowers going past in the morning is so nice to watch in such a beautiful setting.
Also check out the Health Club, the gym is small and quite poor but more than made up for by the pool, sauna, steam room etc... Club staff are also local and v welcoming.
The best part of The County is its setting. So easy to get everywhere on foot.
On this stay I opted to book breakfast with Booking.com at £10 which was OK. Breakfast itself is the usual all you can eat buffet, great if you get in early but gets a bit stale and greasy as you reach the bottom on the heated containers. Fresh eggs are served by a chef - lovely chap. Overall though, breakfast is standard, at best, if you go for the hot option.
Finally, pricing. I booked (as above) about two weeks ago on- line. I paid £104 plus breakfast. Even up North, I think that represents good value for money. I'll be visiting Durham 4/5 times a year over next 3 years and I will stay loyal to The County, firstly for location, secondly for friendly staff, thirdly for decent value for money.

Room Tip: Go for the riverside views, it's a lovely start to the day watching the rowers gliding by!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I booked this hotel for a weekend birthday treat for my fiance, returning to the city where I went to University a depressing number of years ago. I had booked a Superior room and was very pleased when they provided us with a suite. including attractive french doors separating the two areas of the room. This really made the trip special and was much appreciated.

From the moment we arrived the service was first rate. The same gentleman checked us in and out and was exceptionally polite and helpful. In this modern age it's a rare treat to actually get to deal with a person who genuinely seems to be nice and happy to help.

The character of the hotel is very atmipheric. I have seen som,e complaints about the winding corridors and slightly sprawling nature of the building. Well, this isn't a modern new-build hotel, it's an old classic and needs to be appreciated as such.

The room was clean and well laid out, as you would expect from a Marriott. The huge bed was very comfortable and we both slept extrememly well.

Although we did not eat out evening meal in the hotel, we did enjoy their all you can eat breakfast, which was exceptional. My partner raved about the freshly made ommelettes, although I did not personally have one, I am assured it was excellent.

I would highly recommend the Royal County to a visitor to Durham-a lovely traditional hotel, with great service and a great location.

Room Tip: Try to get a suite, you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2013

I managed to find a really cheap deal with Trivago - perhaps we were given the worst bedrooms because of that. The bedrooms were comfortable but very small, my own room looked out onto another wing of the hotel only 2metres away. The hotel my well over look the river but not many rooms do! We were not warned that there was a large private function on the same floor so had to suffer noise until late. To make it worse there was a service room close by and staff continued to make noise (throwing bottles into bottle bins and generally shouting to each other and laughing loudly) even after I'd spoken with the duty manager asking if they could work more quietly - it was almost as though they were doing it on purpose.. WiFi in the rooms is charged at £15 for 24 hours although you get up to an hour in the public areas. Breakfast is £20 pp extra so I suggest that you breakfast in the cafe continental just across the road on the Elvet bridge approach. Oh by the way car parking is an extra £5. Overall the hotel seemed to have a rather high opinion of itself and we saw no sign of the care for guests mentioned in other reviews I'd suggest that you look elsewhere.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends