“Central”

Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 30 September 2013

This is the second time we have stayed in this hotel which is well placed when visiting Durham. The room we were in was comfortable, but the furnishings were showing significant signs of wear and tear and the bathroom was in need of re-grouting.
The hotel bar is like an OAP's sitting room, no atmosphere and uninterested staff.
The reception and breakfast staff courteous and helpful.
Overpriced- yes. Convenient-yes. It will always have high occupancy rate because of it's location, but I for one will always go out of the hotel for evening drinks and meal. Get a b+b deal and it's OK.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BinkaLeics
Write a ReviewReviews (1,601)

Reviewed 29 September 2013

I can safely recommend this hotel to anyone, yes you pay for what you get so maybe it is a little pricey but it's on my `to visit again` list.
On arrival there was a little mix up in that we'd been allocated double rooms instead of twins but the reception staff were more than helpful and promptly arranged for two rooms to be twinned for us. I think the mix up may have been an error on the Marriott group website as I would never have booked doubles for a mum and daughter night away!!!
Once sorted with the right rooms we were amazed at the size of the rooms! We ended up with a queen bed and a double sofa bed - more than perfect!!
We ate in the bar area, the food was lovely, well presented and tasty. There was a little issue with soft crisps on one of the club sandwiches but these were promptly replaced with a full dish of fresh ones.
I have to note that the room we were in did have eternal noise but that's down to the perfect city centre location and to be expected. We still managed a good night's sleep and I'm sure during the week this wouldn't be noticed - we stayed a Friday.
Breakfast was beautiful and we had to sit for some time having had eyes bigger than our bellies - it all just looked so lovely!!! A lady was frying eggs and making omelettes to order which was quite a novelty.
Lastly but by no means least the staff were all absolutely great and a credit to the Marriott name, they were all local people with real Durham accents which was so nice to hear. They were all very attentive and nothing was too much. Even when we were a little disoriented looking for Starbucks a staff member who was clearly just passing by stopped and was happy to show us where to go, right to the door.
I don't think I can say enough nice things about this hotel - we loved it!!!!

Room Tip: We had room 352 but I'm not sure if it was classed as a suite and we got it due to the bed mix u...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Checking into room 236 was the first clue about this hotel. Letter on desk stating “Sorry internet down and we don’t know when it will be back up”. They also forgot mention that the elevator was also broken on the NW side of the hotel. The bell man came to delivery my bag and was instant on give me two other bags. I told him repeatedly I had only 1 and thank you. Room was quite small with way too much furniture. Went to hang up my cloths and couldn’t open the closet because there was a chair and a lamp in front of it. Floor was creaky all over and the A/C was marginal even for the small size of the room. The bathroom was made over from the 18th century with counter space the size for a few tooth brushes. Nice 32” LG flat screen and granite top work desk. Two days later moved to SE side of hotel with update room and was quite pleasant with better A/C. Be for warned all the rooms on this side of the hotel on the river have no A/C only a little fan. All my associates with these rooms were disapointed about the summer humidity on the river and listening to the party boats going up and down the river at night. I believe they were starting to renovate these rooms after we left. Overall tired hotel but excellent staff and great location to down town. Restaurant and staff were great but I couldn’t wait to check out.

Room Tip: Stay some where else
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 September 2013

booked afternryook tea for 4 people and it was well worth the £13. the eclairs, strawberry pastry, sanwiches, scone and strawberry shot with cream was lovely. i have paid more for afternoon tea at other places and got much less. we got as much tea/coffee as you wanted, and the restaurant (although it was empty) was clean, tidy, and elegant without being too posh! nice for a bit of a change in between a days drinking in durham x

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stopped here the night before competing in the Great North Run. The staff were helpful, the room was comfortable and the breakfast was excellent. Where they showed their worth was when I realised that I had left my coat in the room after check out and had driven the 180 miles home. The coat was back with me within a couple of working days, including all of the contents of the pockets.

The car park could be bigger, though.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank danhuz
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We stayed for one night whilst visiting the university and I really wanted to love this hotel. On reflection, I think Marriott has relied on the location to let standards slide, sadly.

The problem lies not with the staff, who were consistently lovely and really made us feel very welcome, special mention for Duty Manager Michael, but with the fabric of the place. Frustrating that the hard work of staff is undermined by a series of little things.

Damaged (bleach? Stained?) soft furnishings in the ladies powder room, a grimey-looking plug hole in the bath, poor mastic repairs in bathroom, a selection of lights flashing all night which disturbed my sleep (smoke detector directly overhead flashing every second, internet connection box, rear of television) one of the beds sagged in the middle and broken ceiling tiles outside our room. (Pics attached) Irritatingly, there was no e-programme guide on the TV system. In the morning, the only lift was marked as "Out of Order" but with no alternative directions to another lift for those who needed it. As I said, little things.

Breakfast was a big disappointment for this self-styled "luxury" hotel. The selection and general presentation was excellent, shame about the quality which was lower than a motorway services; waterlogged scrambled eggs, soggy hashbrowns, cheap catering sausages and the baked goods were not fresh that morning. At £15, not only did it fail to impress but firmly let the hotel down.
TIP: There is a cafe across the road from the hotel as you head into the centre that offers breakfast, opens at 8am. It's well-reviewed and caters for those on restricted diets as well. We would have gone there but 8am was too late for our plans.

Yes, they charge extra for parking which other reviewers have commented on as being poor and I quite agree. Other guests appeared similarly impressed as they were told on check-in. It feels a little unsettling to be so warmly welcomed then to be asked (repeatedly in our case, but we'd used the train) for more money. They clearly expect most of their guests to arrive by car so it feels a little underhanded to charge for this.

Would I stay there again? Possibly, but it would have to offer more value than simply convenient location. Durham is much smaller than you think, so if location is the main reason for booking, you might want to reconsider your accommodation choices, especially as local cab services are so affordable and the hotel's parking charges will add to the stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Spent one night here in a standard double room, very comfortable. Nice hotel, made very good by the staff, all very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was one of the best we have ever had in a hotel. The Craster kippers come highly recommended! Warm croissants too, and also whole meal ones . Fresh omelettes are prepared to order, and an excellent hot buffet, including two different types of bacon. Highly recommended! Would definitely stay again.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple