“Great Value Charm with a solid Marriott feel”

Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stayed in the main building not the annex after reading the trip advisor suggestions, talking to the staff this was also a good option, the rooms are more spacious and you get air conditioning. Great comfy Marriott beds with thick curtains to darken the room led to a great nights sleep. The floor boards of the room were creaky but the main building is old and this just added to the charm. The breakfast has to be one of the best hotel buffet breakfasts iv had with plenty of choice and good quality food. Staff are extremely helpful and friendly and couldn't do more to help. The pool was great and I'd also recommend dinner or at least desert in the hotel restaurant. For 90 - 100 pounds per night is good value for this quality of accommodation in the city.

The only cons would be checkout was very busy and only 1 staff member on reception so took us 15 mins to get through the queue but a very minor point.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,578)

Reviewed 27 October 2013

My wife and I went to celebrate her birthday for a three night stay. We were allocated room 103 to start with but this was small with no view from the two windows. On enquiring at reception the gentleman was very helpful and changed us to room 255 over looking the river weir it was a much larger room and very comfortable.
We took full advantage of the indoor pool and solarium all clean and well staffed.
The idea of breakfast being served up to 11am was a great advantage which enabled us to have a swim and sauna then take breakfast after. The staff were excellent and even treated my wife to a glass of Champaign for her birthday breakfast. A very nice gesture. A thoroughly enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: I would always go for one of the rooms in the Riverside part of the hotel - you are close to the ind...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

Brought my mam here for a spa day it was amazing!! staff wer all very nice and polite and very helpful spa was amazing ill be booking here again very soon am so pleased with the service we both will be back again!;)

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Once again we found the Hotel was to a high standard with friendly and helpful staff. The riverside rooms are to a high standard, especially for the river view. That is unless you find the early morning phenomenon of slightly deranged cyclists yelling instructions to the crew of competition rowing 8's etc. off-putting!

During our stay there was a genuine fire alert at approx 11.30 p.m. The staff proved themselves to be on the ball re evacuation etc. and after a short while (when the fire area had beeen identified and we were allowed into the reception areas) provided hot and cold drinks for the guests whilst they had to remain out of their rooms.

Room Tip: Try to book a Riverside view room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights as part of a group visiting the area. Our room on the first floor overlooking the car park was a generous size and looked recently refurbished. We ate in the hotel two nights of our stay with a special menu for the group and the choice and food was good although we did feel the wine list was rather pricey. The bar area looked as if part had been refurbished (they were still painting the conservatory area) but there was still plenty of room for a few more chairs and sofas to make it more welcoming. There was a good choice for the buffet breakfast and the staff kept the service counter well-filled. The hotel is in a very convenient position, being only a short walk over the bridge to the old part of Durham and within easy driving of many places of interest in this area. It was a joy to find that the staff are local people and, without exception, both management, reception and waiting staff were extremely obliging and friendly and a credit to the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

It is within easy walking distance of the Cathedral, the Castle, the University and the pubs and restaurants of central Durham. The hotel is built within a number of older buildings that match the architecture of the city. This means that there are odd corridors and stairs, but this adds to the charm of the building. The floors maybe uneven and creaky but what do you expect of a building that maybe over a hundred years old? The carpets in the public areas is a bit worn. The rooms are clean and comfortable but a bit small. The staff could not be more helpful or friendly. Breakfast is expensive bit there's a good variety. Parking is limited. Internet is expensive (£15 per day) but free in public areas.

and restaurants of Central Georgia

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I took my wife and baby to this hotel as we had tickets to see the cricket nearby. I paid a premium for a four star hotel as it was a special occasion. I will try to be fair and say that this hotel is nicely situated, has polite staff and the food and leisure facilities are good.
However in other areas it was APPALING! We were placed high up in the hotel even though we were travelling with a baby and the lift was broken. The room had no fridge and the air conditioning failed. The remote control for the TV was held together with gaffer tape. When I called reception to complain I found that the phone in the room was defective. When I got back from the cricket match having carried my child up several sets of stairs I found that my key card had failed.
The final straw was when I found sharp nails sticking out of a poorly repaired table right at my child's eye-level.
The management waive my bill, but I am still angry that what should have happy time was a stressful ordeal and I will pitch myself a tent before I go back.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family