“Great conference location”

Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Recently stayed for a 3 day sales conference using the hotel as central base. The staff were most accommodating and couldn't do enough to ensure all our expectations and unscripted needs were met. A functional, flexible and friendly hotel - fully recommended.

There are newer reviews for Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Durham Marriott is a great place to stay: close to the old city with nice rooms and extremely friendly and service oriented staff. The breakfasdts, lunches and diners were abundant and of high quality. The bar stays open as long as you want.
The only minus is the long walking distances when you are located at riverside.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Last week I visited the UK for the fist time. I loved the City of Durham, but the real difference was madeby the excellent service at the Marriott Hotel Royal County. From the very first minute I felt really welcome and a much appreciated guest. I had a lovely room and the ladies and gentlemen at the breakfast and lunch buffet were great. The conference facilities were very good. Its not a cold and modern facility but somewhere to feel at home. Nice coffee corner with delicious snacks. Please visit the hotel to expierence real service and hospitality.

Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

I am currently booked in on a two night business trip. The hotel is overpriced for what it is. The bedroom is tiny and I cannot sleep for two flashing lights directly above my head. It looks like a plane coming in to land. Also had to turn the heating off due to the noise. Bed is ok as is the bathroom. Staff are very friendly and dinner was lovely. In spite of this, I will struggle to book here again on one of my many upcoming trips to the area. It is just not worth the money. The rooms are nowhere near four star.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
DurhamMarriott, General Manager at Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I apologise for the noise encountered from the heating system and that you were disturbed by the small lights on the smoke detector which flash to indicate that the detector is active. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your dinner and that you found the staff to be very friendly. I hope I can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Warm Regards
Des Caldwell

Reviewed 21 January 2014

I was truly shocked at how shabby this hotel was. I had stayed here before although not for many years. in my opinion it not only needs updating but cleaning properly too. Glass on doors was smeary, glasses and take away coffee cups left in the lobby too long. we stayed in a supreme room which was adequate , pretty large . The linen was decent but the mattress was saggy. The carpets throughout the hotel were stained and musty. The hotel bar lacks any atmosphere and the lighting is far too bright. The gym was ok , enough equipment with three treadmills but the women's changing rooms were filthy. The pool is a good size but had missing and cracked tiles.The room we booked cost £149 including breakfast. Breakfast was extremely good , great selection and incredibly friendly and efficient staff , can't speak highly enough of them. The wifi is a joke is costs £6 per hour! Or as the front office explained a package would cost £75 per week,, are they for real? Anyway all in all not good value for money and Marriott should really sell this property or put
It some real money into it. If I went back to Durham I would stay at the Radisson blu across the river, much nicer and cleaner

Room Tip: Choose a supreme room which seem to be the old suites
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post this review.
I am sorry to hear about the disappointment you experienced with recent stay. In seems on this occasion we have not met your expectations in terms cleanliness throughout the hotel, I would like to assure you that the standards of cleanliness are of paramount importance to us here at the Durham Marriott Hotel and your comments have been addressed with the team. On a more positive note I was delighted to read your kinds words about your breakfast experience. Thank you once again for taking the time to provide this valued feedback and I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back soon.

Warm Regards
Des Caldwell

Reviewed 15 January 2014

My Husband had booked this as a birthday surprise. On arrival, which was quite late we where warmly greeted by the front desk, I was wished a happy birthday (they must have put a note the booking reference). Check-in was very swift. I was asked if I would like a glass of champagne, to which the gentleman showed us to the bar and asked the waiter to pour two glasses of Moet Chandon Champagne, which where complimentary. We sat in the lovely atmosphere of the bar and lounge and drank our champagne. We went to our room which was a suite and was FABULOUS, jacuzzi bath included! We had an amazing nights sleep in a "fairytale" like bed, it was so comfortable. Went down for breakfast, which was literally anything you could have wished for! The staff where amazing, even the chef came out of the kitchen to greet people having breakfast. Breakfast was divine, everything was fresh and made to order (if required). I can't say enough nice things about the staff, they are a compliment to the Marriott and the customer service was AMAZING. Well done. Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: We had the Turnbull Suite which was beautifully decorated and very roomy.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Excellent yet again. This event was started last year and my husband and I attended. We were so impressed we booked again and we were not disappointed. Champagne on arrival at the hotel was added this year and that was a lovely extra touch.
The whole thing, from staff to food to door staff was excellent.
We shall be booking again for this New Year!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business