“Excellent Stay at The Marriott Hotel”

Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Durham
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Excellent Stay at The Marriott Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Myself and my partner had an excellent stay at the Marriott Hotel last weekend for my birthday. The moment we walked into reception we were offered a canape whilst we checked in which was a nice touch. The reception staff were attentive, knowledeable and very friendly. Our room was lovely with a huge comfy bed and we were just a stones throw from the centre.

The breakfast was excellent and we made full use of the lovely pool and spa area. This is our second visit here and won't be our last.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

I have previously stayed here for a stag doo, summer 2013. The stay was great, even though we only slept there for 5 hours.

I recently returned with my girlfriend. We stayed in and enjoyed room service, both meow where restaurant standard. We also enjoyed a great £15.50 in room breakfast.

The breakfast was a real delight and well worth the money.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

We had a poor experience at a different hotel in Scotland so decided to stop in Durham on way back to York. Glad we did - this hotel is in a perfect location for the city centre. Just step out of the door and you are there. Arrived at 12 and room wasn't ready but they went out of their way to get is ready quickly. Reception rang us within 30 minutes to tell us we could check in.
Great room with 2 double beds in - one for us and one for the 12 year old. Didn't eat dinner at the hotel so can't comment on the food. Breakfast was good though.
The on-site coffee shop (I think its Costa Coffee) appeared to be the only place to get a drink at that time of day. It was full of students on their i-pads hogging all the tables and taking 2 hours to sip their cold coffee. It was jammed to the rafters with them so we had to eat our snack and drink coffee back in the room. I didn't mind but I think that Costa/Hotel needs to be mindful that guests of the hotel would like to eat/drink in the café. But apart from that slight niggle 10 out of 10.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Durham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night in Feb- was meant to be a relaxing treat due to a recent bereavement, booked in advance with explanation and subsequent requests. Given that we are locals I have known of the RC and it has always had a consistent reputation hence the booking.
On arrival there was a three deep queue at reception, when we were finally attended to we we're told our room wasn't ready (even though it was check in time). That was it....no offer of a complimentary coffee while we waited or even a chair to sit on. Looking around I noticed two other couples in the same situation looking pretty fed up.
My husband and I decided to treat ourselves to a drink in the bar whilst waiting and at nearly £10 for two standard drinks it was a treat. I had read a previous review about the 'state' of the bar and hoped the reviewer wasn't right as I had fond memories of a beautifully dressed bar at The County. On entering I realised the reviewer was spot on - all of the paintings had gone from the wall and the furniture was sparse and randomly placed. The lovely ambience the bar once had was gone and I felt like we were drinking in a train station corridor bar.
On returning to reception twenty minutes later our room still wasn't ready , I was told it was because we had requested a room with disability access facilities ( which we hadn't and not sure why that should make a difference?) Again the response was final we would just have to wait. After pushing for a bit more of a response we were told there was a room available in the hotel annexe (the coach house!) in the car park. I explained we had asked for a quiet room with a river view having booked well in advance but it became pretty obvious this was going to be the only offering .
We got to our room ,placed between a road and the car park, back in the day I'm sure it would have been a lovely fresh Marriott styled room but it was looking tired and worn in places. The cleaning trolley and bags of dirty laundry still lying in the corridor still didn't really help with the ambiance.
Within the room itself some typical Marriott features like the lovely bed/bedding/blackout curtains and bathroom soothed us slightly . Tea and coffee facilities were just that - sorry we did have some custard creams to dunk!- I've had a wider choice in more basic b and b's.
The most annoying part of our stay for me (in addition to having to write this review in the vain hope someone at the hotel might care enough to response)was that my husband had purchased a marriott leisure voucher for the spa a couple of weeks earlier hence us choosing this hotel to stay at. Even though I spoke to the leisure staff twice before and after booking we were never told that this aspect of the hotel facilities was free and included in the price of the room. We were allowed to redeem our voucher as well as paying for the room.
Within the 'spa' area the ladies changing rooms were filthy, floor covered in mud. Even though I alerted the staff to this neither seemed too bothered and said they'd have a look. My husband noted that in the male changers bathers in the pool had a birds eye view of the blokes getting changed (read naked) if they were unfortunate enough as he was to be standing in the wrong place when someone entered the changing room.
We decided to go out for the night and were ready for breakfast the next morning. As we had had to ask for information about breakfast venues and times at reception earlier, because it hadn't been offered (funny how asking for payment happened before we were even given a room) we meandered down to the hotel hoping the times given were correct. We were told we could take breakfast up until 12:00 which we thought a bonus but on arriving at the restaurant we were told there were no tables available and on looking around us several other couples were also hanging around with raffle tickets. Not only were there no tables but we were placed in a queue-luckily we didn't have to rush off but other guests were less understanding and quite rightly so.
After a fair wait a member of staff came along telling us to "come on down!" I wondered if this was a game show after all and I'd slipped into some parallel universe, it certainly hadn't been the pampered hotel experience we're used to at Marriott.
The breakfast was really lovely and plentiful - my husband was a bit put out at being asked why he wanted two fried eggs when the cook had six others to fry, and I had to ask for a clean tea pot as mine had obviously had camomile in before my standard breakfast tea but the buffet section was tasty and offered a great choice of options.
I don't know what's going on at the RC at the moment but I felt really let down and disappointed by the service (or lack of it) during our stay and living in Durham I know there are other higher quality hotels available at a more competitive price. I did mention my above points to the receptionist, on leaving, and I have waited for some sort of response before posting this but it seems the service we received on arrival is pretty much reflective of what you can expect throughout and after your stay.
All in all they're happy to take your payment and that's about it. Would we stay again or recommend? Probably not.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank zbee38
DurhamMarriott, General Manager at Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was very sorry to read that you had not enjoyed your stay here at the Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County and disappointed that you did not receive the response you were expecting following your departure from the hotel. From your in-depth feedback, we will be able to discuss your experience in detail and I assure you we will take actions where possible to prevent these issues happening again.
Thank you once again and I do hope you will consider returning to the hotel in the future.
Warm regards
Des Caldwell
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

Stayed here for a weekend in Durham and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The hotel is very close to the station and also very close to castle and cathedral which I wanted to visit. We just walked around the area and everything was easily accessible. The hotel itself has a nice old English feel to it and the rooms are cozy. The staff is very friendly but I felt they were understaffed specially at night.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

The room was ok but the in-room Wi-Fi was the most expensive I have come across anywhere in the world and I have travelled to every continent. The cost was a monstrous 6 GBP per hour which they 'generously' reduced to £15 per day. This is unacceptable and I do hope that this letter causes Marriott to substantially reduce or better still eliminate their Wi-Fi charging. Unless and until they do I will never stay at a Marriott hotel again

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Alex S
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was disappointed to read that you found the internet connection expensive in your guest room, however, we do offer complimentary Wi-Fi in the public areas of the hotel, including the Durham Bar and Starbucks, which you might use on your next stay.
Warm regards
Des Caldwell
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights while attending a function in the City. The overwhelming memories of this hotel are the outstanding staff who gave beautiful attentive service and were friendly, engaging and helpful.
We booked with Superbreaks who made an error with our booking (booked 2 rooms, not one) but the staff dealt with it quickly, efficiently & with minimum fuss. A good price.
Our room was spacious and comfortable and the bathroom, though a little cold in the morning, was large and functional. A large and comfortable bed, decent TV (but only Freeview channels) and reasonable tea making facilities.
Marriott is another hotel that insist on charging for Internet in the rooms, although you can get free wifi in the public areas. I'd thought that the number of chains doing this had reduced (I even got free wifi recently in a Premier Inn!) & I don't think it's justifiable in this day & age. I never pay!
The breakfast was one of the better buffets I've experienced and we ate one evening in the restaurant where the food was very good, although spoilt by an outrageously noisy pre-teens party in the function room above. The staff dealt with this reasonably effectively although they couldn't stop the noise completely. We received a very satisfactory compensating gesture.
Decent swimming pool and poolside spa facilities.
Would I come again? Yes!