“Great Location”

Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Great location. Close to downtown. You cross the bridge and you are in the old city, close to the Cathedral built in 1096. Cobble stone streets and several restaurants.
Staff showed care about my issue, which was the wrong reservation. Watch out for additional fees such an internet service. It is not always included. Parking is five British Pounds. Breakfast is great. Comfortable and clean bed. However,it was short for my long body. I had to sleep diagonally. I was by myself. Clean bathroom. I enjoyed the small swimming pool, the sauna, the steam room. Staff is great.

Room Tip: Expensive during the high season.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Rabah_97

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed for two nights and ate in the restaurant twice. The room was well appointed with a king size bed that was very comfy. Nice view of the cathederal tower BUT there were two weddings while we stayed and the noise was horrendous from the disco which was very near our room.
Reception was most welcoming, but why do we have to pay for parking at a hotel with a car park!!!!
The menu in the restaurant was the same on both nights. I had what was probably the worst cheeseboard ever, fridge cold rubbery rubbish!!!!
I would not return, which is a shame because the location is perfect and I have very fond memories of the hotel in my childhood.

Stayed: June 2013
DurhamMarriott, General Manager at Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
I was very disappointed to read that you had been disturbed by noise during your stay and I am sorry that the cheeseboard that was served to you was not to your satisfaction.
It would be a shame if your experience on this occasion would deter you from visiting us again in the future as you kindly say you have fond memories of previous stays.
I do hope that you will reconsider your decision to return to the Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County and thank you again for your comments.
Warm regards
Des Caldwell

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed in room 219 on Saturday 26.04.2014 and to be honest, not impressed with the size of the room or the poor view to the rear carpark, having paid for a better room.
Although it never caused us a problem, we were disgusted to find elderly people struggling climbing stairs all Saturday and Sunday up until we left as all lifts were out of service. This is a disgrace.
Our stay based on the price paid was poor already but the Sunday morning breakfast was a totally JOKE!!!! had to wait in a 20 minute queue outside the dining room for breakfast. Not impressed with that, when eventually in my wife then waiting 20 minutes for a poached egg, then when received the egg found that the queue for the food was terrible, to make matters worse when she eventually got to the food, there was very little selection as all the dished has went empty. There were lots of people not happy with this situation.

Unfortunately I personally feel that on this occasion the Marriot actually robbed me, the breakfasts were £15.00 each and not worth £1.50. The room was £109 and again the overall experience does not warrant that amount.

Totally disappointed and disappointed that on checking out, the staff simply said, I am sorry about the breakfasts, we are aware of complaints and will pass your comments onto the Kitchen.

Well really you should have asked a senior member of management to speak with us at check out and then that could have avoided this review.

Room Tip: Don't waist your money on breakfast. Over priced and terrible. Plenty of pubs outside locally...
1  Thank visitor227059

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was sorry to read about your experience with your guestroom and breakfast throughout your stay and I am very disappointed that we did not respond to your comments in a satisfactory manner. I am grateful for your feedback which we can use as a valuable example in our customer service training.
On a more positive note, I am pleased to advise that work has now commenced on refurbishment of the guest elevators.
I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel when next travelling to Durham.
Warm regards
Des Caldwell

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Stayed overnight at this hotel, second time we have stayed here still think its best hotel in north east.fabulous location with parking, staff are very friendly and nothings to much trouble.
Had a lovely room overlooking the river spotless, excellent big bed and lots of very comfy pillows.
Cant wait to go back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anneoliver1
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We stayed as a free night as part of the Marriott Rewards scheme and were pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to the Thurlow suite.
This consisted of a separate seating area and very pleasant furnishings
The hotel has been extended over the years and so is a sprawling maze of coridoors. Our room had a partial view of Elvet Bridge and the river so good for people watching.
We didn't eat in the hotel so can't comment on food. There is a Starbucks attached to the hotel where we had a snack breakfast the next morning.
Ideal central location-hotel has own car park with £5 per night charge

Reviewed 3 May 2014

we stayed for two nights (29/04/14 - 1/05/14 ) , we booked a Supreme room !
Reception staff very helpful , co operative , as some previous reports , some guests got a welcome drink upon their arrival , but not us !!!! .

The was nice and big , spacious , but poorly lite , no view at all .
The room had a sofa to sit on , but if you sat there , you could not see the tv , as a wardrobe was in the way !! . The decor was nice , nice big bed , good night sleep . There was bottles of water , but unsure if they was free or you had to pay for them , no mention of anything next to the water !
Bathroom , bath , separate shower , pleanty of hot water , but tolietrieswre poor , only one small bar of soap , for bath , shower , hand basin ???

No slippers !! , NO FRIDGE why , where do you keep your milk , beer , or wine to keep cold ?
NO WI FI , , over £300 for two nights today you would expect it as standard
Breakfast very good , , hot / cold food , fresh fruit , again the staff helpful , polite

Fitness centre was good , again polite helpful staff
Swimming pool heated , , did not use the gym

Car parking £10 for two full days

we had room 135 , we like the location of the hotel , the hotel had charm , great staff , but seem to lack something , we enjoyed our stay , but would not stop there again

Room Tip: room 135 , big , but poor lighting
2  Thank joey023
DurhamMarriott, General Manager at Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am sorry that your visit to the hotel did not meet with your expectations on this occasion but we would like to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County on your next visit to Durham. Warm regards, Des Caldwell.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

I stayed for 3 nights,----with a group of 50,-----I was treated as "an individual,important guest"-----not as a "bunch ,on a coach trip"(which does happen).The registration was super-efficient,all meals very generous portions served by very attentive waiters,.The hotel is in a great location for sight-seeing.It "runs smoothly",despite being busy.Every membsr of staff greats you with a smile,and could not be more helpful.The room I had was lovely.I had telehoned before my visit to ask for a "quiet room,with shower",if poss.I think I was given an upgrade,as I had a really gorgeous room ,as quiet as it was possible to organise,with a river view.I appreciated that SO MUCH ----THANKYOU----!!!!!Another wonderful point is that breakfast is served until11am!!!---(very unusual)and welcoming to me as I am a very poor sleeper.The bed and pillows are so comfortable, that on Sat.I slept until 10am.!!!!I expected breakfast to only have little choice at that time-----WRONG!!!There was every choice!!!What else can I say......*************THANKYOU SO MUCH************

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends