“Afternoon tea”

Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

Came to the Marriott on Thursday 22nd may, although it appeared the booking for afternoon tea was not on the hotels system the staff were exceptional. We were seated within the restaurant and although it was quiet it was ideal for me and my boyfriend to talk amongst ourselves, the staff ensured that our visit was a pleasant one at that, and always checking back on us and asking if we needed anything else. The price was reasonable too, you honestly wouldn't think that what was on offer would fill you but we couldn't move! All in all in was a pleasant visit and we would do it again, and most definitely recommend it to friends!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank daniellec1234

Reviewed 22 May 2014

This hotel is the best location for Cathedral and town. Good quality accommodation and food. Bedrooms have huge Queen beds and modern furniture. Quieter rooms overlooking courtyard car park. Would strongly recommend parking at hotel at 5pound/night.

Room Tip: Bedrooms on 2nd or 3rd floor overlooking courtyard car park.
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We visited this hotel a few years back and we decided to return as we had good memories of the place. I’m happy to say that the Marriott fulfilled expectations and we had a lovely relaxing weekend as planned.

The hotel itself is a mish-mash of buildings ranging from the very old main building (which is lovely from the outside) to a modern block alongside the riverside (which houses the pool etc). Getting across to the pool involves going up and down several floors and stairs - we actually found it quicker walking across the car park. I’m also still trying to figure out where the ice machine is! However, it all adds to the charm and all the staff were helpful and friendly (especially the breakfast team).

Breakfast was a the usual generous Marriott buffet with a full range of continental and cooked offerings (better than most hotel chains!). I can’t fault the quality and everything was fresh and well prepared.

Parking is a slight issue and is worth taking into account before visiting. The car park is in a courtyard in the middle of the hotel and is very tight with limited spaces. We were fortunate to find spaces on each occasion but I imagine this could be a bit of a problem when it’s busy. Parking for residents is £5 per night and is payable on check out.

The biggest plus point is the location. Right next to the Elvet Bridge, it's only 10 minutes walk at most to the Cathedral with plenty of shops/restaurants on the way. I can't see how any other hotel in Durham beats it for location.

Some minor points (not problems, more suggestions for improvements):
Our room was above the function rooms in the oldest part of the hotel. A rather busy vintage fair took place on the Saturday and it would have been good to have had some advance warning as the Saturday morning preparations were a bit hectic and we had to pass through the fair to get down to reception etc and vice versa.
Our room was nice though it’s in need of some redecoration. The door and furniture were noticeably marked/scuffed and the general décor was a bit old fashioned. Not enough to spoil the stay but it’s time for some TLC.

All in all, a great weekend away and we’ll be staying at the Marriott next time we’re in Durham.

1  Thank duck_dastardly
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I hadn't been to Durham since I graduated thirty years ago. Back then anything to do with the Royal County was a real treat especially going for dinner. I so looked forward to staying there.

The place is in urgent need of a refurbishment and whoever chose the lilac paint must have vision problems, it's insipid and awful. The room was shabby with staining on the walls and the bathroom needed a good clean.

The breakfast was mediocre, the staff attempted to be helpful but one member of the team in particular was so way over the top that her presence was almost intimidating, I appreciate she meant to be helpful but storming around the room in a pair of heavy boots is not what I expect at breakfast time. The dining experience in the evening was simply a disappointment, the food definitely was better when I was an under graduate.

In short, if you need to stay in Durham, go somewhere else, this place is not four star by a long shot - oh and I too object to the fee for the wi-fi, £15 is not a fee, it's theft. I pay less than that a month at home for an excellent service.

Room Tip: Ask for one that is clean!
2  Thank Phil D
DurhamMarriott, General Manager at Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
I was sorry to read about your experiences when dining, with your guest room and that you felt the service at breakfast was over attentive. We will ensure we share your feedback with our hosts.
Whilst there is a charge for internet use in the guest rooms, we are pleased to offer free WiFi to customers in our bar, lobby, lounge and Starbucks.
We are in the process of refurbishing the public areas of the hotel I am disappointed that the colour scheme is not to your taste, however, I am sure our guests will see the improvements as we complete each phase of the change.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

I grew up near Durham, but hadn't been back for 50 years, so hoped to show off how wonderful I'd remembered it to be. I remembered that the Durham Royal County was the "posh" hotel so obviously had to stay there. The hotel is ideally situated beside the river and very close to the city centre - just a couple of minutes walk away. The room was just fine - overlooking the river.
We had intented to eat out, but it was raining so decided to eat in the hotel. Mistake! - the food was awful, just awful. The menu was just basic pub food, nothing in the least adventurous. The starter was supposedly Portobello mushrooms but they were no more that 4 cms across. The vegetables were grossly overcooked and all tasted of stale cabbage water, the fish I had was stuck to the plate and its (insipid) sauce dried up around the edges.
So disappointing.
The hotel charges £15 for WiFi access - absolutely outrageous.
By all means stay at the hotel and enjoy the delights of Durham City, but do eat elsewhere!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
DurhamMarriott, General Manager at Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
I am sorry that you were disappointed with your meal as it is never our intention that any guest leaves the hotel less than completely satisfied.
I do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future and thank you once again for your comments.

Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Fantastic hotel, couldn't fault it at all. We had a king size bed and it was the best night's sleep I have had in ages. Lovely swimming pool, great breakfast and the service was exceptional. Special mention to the lady who oversees breakfast who is friendly, helpful and can't do enough for you.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We arrived to find a number of cars circling the car park to find a space, even though we were told there was parking. We were told by reception to go out, pay for parking on the street and keep coming down from our room to check for spaces. This created arguments between guests in the car park. The receptionist behaved like a someone out of Stepford Wives - I'm sure most people don't appreciate un-feeling, blanket type responses.

The room was too warm, so we left the windows open only to find many mosquitoes on the ceiling - on inspection you could see, by previously swatted mosquitoes that this had happened before, they could do with warning guests riverside that this can happen.

The TV although big, kept breaking up. Breakfast was pretty bad - it looked like a lot, but if it is possible to buy the cheapest, most tasteless oranges, bread, croissants etc etc they did.

The location is good, but all in all pretty poor.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
DurhamMarriott, General Manager at Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was sorry to read that you had difficulty with car parking. I am very disappointed that we did not respond to your comments in a satisfactory manner.

I am sorry that you did not find out breakfast selection to be to your complete satisfaction as we always strive to ensure this is the case.

Thank you for your valuable feedback, we always use such feedback when training our team to help drive of customer satisfaction forward.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future