“Lovely Hotel”

Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Durham
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We went for a weekend away and booked the Marriot Hotel. On arriving we were greeted by a friendly receptionist, he was very polite. We were booked into room 257 which was ready for us on arrival. The lift was not working as they were having a new one installed. Our room was spacious as so was the bed. The bathroom was of a good size with everything you would need. There was also a TV, a safe and tea and coffee facilities. I had no problem with this hotel, we had a view overlooking the river too which was lovely. I enjoyed my stay at the hotel and I would recommend it to my other friends.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My wife and I, together with my Mother, stayed in two rooms at this hotel on 7th August.

On arrival into the hotel car park, we parked in a disabled spot (as my Mother has some walking difficulties) adjacent to reception and I checked in, very quickly and eficiently, whilst my wife was organising things in the car. The car park has what looks to be an adequate number of ordinary parking spaces together with a good number of disabled spaces. It is always irksome though to be expected to pay for parking in a hotel car park, albeit £5 per night when paying to stay in the hotel anyway.

We had reserved two deluxe rooms and unfortunately one was situated adjacent to the newly insatlled lift which could be clearly heard opening and closing from within our room. Having learned from previous experiences, we asked to move rooms. Our request was facilitated without question but unfortunately the hotel was very busy and the rooms we were re-allocated were much smaller and of lesser quality then those we had reserved, this fact was recognised within our bill.

The hotel was nicely appointed and well maintained, many new and very plush carpets had apparently been laid very recently in the ground floor areas.

The bar was pleasant but a little souless when we were there as we were the only people in there, at 7.30pm.

The breakfast room was very nice and the food was good. It would have been useful had we have been given details of what was on offer when we entered the breakfast room as it wasn't until we had eaten that we noticed a live egg station that we would have made use of had we known of its existence!

The location of the hotel is very good for able people walking to the centre of the City and the Cathedral. We did struggle a little with my Mother as the route is quite steep for an aged person with walking difficulties to negotiate. The hotel staff did offer to organise a taxi to take us to the Cathedral and in hindsight that would have been more appropriate than trying to walk.

All the staff were very freindly and professional in their approach to us, well done to them all.

All in all, this is a nice hotel in a great location which we would gladly return to.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I have stayed here over a dozen times over the past few months while on business. Marriott Durham is in a great location for all the restaurants and pubs in the city centre. The rooms in the hotel are ok but looking a bit tired. Also, the rooms tend to be pretty noisy if you have people in the room above you. Food is ok but nothing special. Staff at the front desk are normally excellent but a couple of times have experienced pretty rude behaviour which is a shame. Overall a decent hotel at a reasonable price

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
DurhamMarriott, Manager at Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
I was sorry to read that you felt the hotel looked tired, we have a dedicated rooms preventative team in place at the hotel to sure all bedrooms are maintained to a high standard, We have also recently completed a refurbishment of the public areas of the hotel which include new carpet, furniture,artwork and the decoration of these areas. I was very disappointed to learn that the reception team have not delievred their usual high standards of service on your recent visits to the hotel. I do hope that your experience this time will not deter you from returning to the hotel in the future and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Staffordshire, UK
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

I have to be honest ... all of the staff I encountered at check in, and in the bar and leisure club were brilliant and went out of their way consistently and were a credit to the hotel. It's a pity therefore that the hotel itself was a bit lacking. The modern bar looked out of place in an old building and was soulless. My room in the Coach house annex smelt of both damp and smoke and the water wasn't amazingly hot. I am sure that the fab staff would have tried to sort the room out but when you're only there for 12 or 15 hours in total there wasn't really the opportunity or time. Hotel management: reward your staff and have a good hard look at the hotel itself!

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
DurhamMarriott, General Manager at Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was delighted to read your positive feedback regarding the team, we pride ourselves on our staff service and it is always a pleasure to receive such kind words. I was sorry to read that you felt the hotel looked tired, we have a dedicated team at the hotel that are continually working on rooms preventative maintenance to ensure our bedrooms are maintained to a high standard, I am sorry on this occasion we did not meet your expectations. We have recently refurbished our Lobby and Bar areas and this is part of our public area renovation programme. I do hope that your experience this time will not deter you from returning to the hotel in the future and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This is a very comfortable hotel in a very convenient position is quite easy (uphill) walking distance of the sights of the city centre.

Our room was very comfortable, although dark furniture made it a bit gloomy and it was a bit cramped for the price. The bed was particularly comfortable, the room was very clean ( the trouser press was very welcome),and although there was no fridge/mini-bar, only an empty cupboard , there was complimentary mineral water, replenished every day. Apart from the dressing-table chair, there was no sort of second chair in the room. It was nice to have a window that could be opened to enjoy fresh air at night..........the sleep quality was good.

Breakfast was outstanding for choice, quality and the attentiveness of the staff. The helpful attitude of staff to guests is a strong feature of the hotel.

There is unlimited free Wi-fi in the public areas. There is a charge for Wi-fi in the bedrooms

Apart from breakfast, we did not eat in the hotel so cannot comment on the restaurant. We did consider the bar menu for lunch but it looked rather pretentious, so we did not try it.

This is not a super-luxury hotel, but it is good quality, value for money and cares for its guests. We would use it again.

Room Tip: Rooms over the reception area look out on the car park.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Came to visit son & watch the rowing - hotel in perfect location for town centre & river. Booking in was pleasant - offered glass of bubbly on arrival! Long walk to our room, but room fine. Views of car park, but at least we weren't woken by the early rowing birds on the river! Room more than adequate. Chose not to have breakfast in hotel - plenty if nearby local quality cafés that provide excellent breakfasts, just two mins from hotel for less than £5. Managed to park in hotel car park all weekend, but I know that's not guaranteed. Would return if visiting son again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

From start to finish of our one night stay the staff were lovely. Our room (164) was in need of refurbishment and the bathroom had a very unpleasant odour we sprayed it with perfume to cover it as it was only for one night. The cleaners and in-room staff had done their best and the
room was as clean as they could and the bed was made up to perfection.
It was not fair to take this up with the reception as it was a problem with the Marriott itself if they let off a room that is sub standard.
I have stayed in many Marriott hotels and this is the first time that I have not been happy with the room.
The breakfast was also nothing special I am afraid but again the service from the staff was great, I am not going to spoil somebody's day when they do their job properly.
This will not stop me staying at these hotels as its a one off and I am sure that this room will shortly be refurbished.
Ann Lloyd

Room Tip: Do ask to look at your room before staying, I will in future!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
DurhamMarriott, General Manager at Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
I was disappointed to read that the condition of the bedroom was not to your complete satisfaction we have a dedicated rooms preventative program in place to sure all bedrooms are maintained to a high standard, I am sorry that on this occasion that we did not execute this to a satisfactory standard.
It is always a delight to read such positive feedback about the team, thank you for your kind words about both our housekeeping and food and beverage teams.
I am pleased that your experience this time will not deter you from returning to the hotel in the future and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.