“Brilliant location”

Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 1 night in August. The hotel is in a very central location and we really enjoyed drinks in Whisky River just over Elvet bridge. The bed was the comfiest hotel bed I have ever slept in! Room was clean and modern, no complaints at all. The cooked breakfast in the morning was gorgeous aswell and plenty of choice. Would definately recommend this hotel to anyone

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,628)

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Stayed at the Royal County for one night in August. The location is superb as everything is within walking distance. The room was very comfortable and clean. I'd been worried that it might be noisy as there are several pubs located close by but you couldn't hear a thing inside. What really made this hotel stand out was the service. From checking in, dealing with queries to breakfast service - nothing was too much trouble for the friendly and efficient staff.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 August 2014

The Marriott Durham is well placed for the Old Town and Cathedral. Being upgraded to a larger room was a welcome move, but the room was a little tired with minor housekeeping shortcomings.
Breakfast was very good with attentive staff, but the bar was cold and unwelcoming.
Again on the more positive side the Pool and Spa was well appointed.

We would return to the hotel if we repeated the visit

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Overnight stay on a weekend getaway with some friends. The hotel has a great location, all the main attractions of the city centre are within walking distance. Car park is an excellent facility, and charges very reasonable. Very friendly welcome, rooms were ready ahead of time, and all staff were extremely helpful at all times. We got a lucky upgrade to room 235, which was large, with a four poster bed. Room was excellent, clean, and everything worked. Air con was a bit noisy, but the weather was not so hot that we needed it at night, Breakfast was first class, with more than adequate choices, an a bright and attractive restaurant. Bar area very pleasant too (drink prices less so!). Certainly would stay here again.

Room Tip: We were told 235 is the only room with a four poster bed. Overlooks the street, but we didn't he...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2014

In the month of August I was in Durham on Business and stayed in a few different hotels in the area. The Marriott was one of the best for location and it does have spa facilities, but as for anything else they were trailing behind their competitors. There was no consistency in the way the staff on reception dealt with their guest. I don't know if this was due to personal issues or prejudicial issues but it is not acceptable for any hotel never mind an internationally renowned hotel. I had an issue with my slippers being removed from my room, I was later informed by the hotel manager the following day that they were in lost property and had been removed by the cleaner who I was told thought my room was vacant, although I had a suitcase and clothing in the room, items in cupboards yet it was only my slippers that went missing and it was only the cleaning staff that had access to lost property - very dubious. On my last stay at the hotel I was supposedly upgraded. I can confirm that rooms on the second floor appear to be more spacious than rooms on the first floor, but that’s all… the standard was poor. The room hadn't been checked prior to my stay and obviously hadn't been used for at least a few days as there was a cobweb from the bed pillow to the ceiling, the room needed a good clean, dirt marks on the bath, the toilet flush felt like it was going to come out of the wall, rusty bath plug, definitely not up to standard.
After complaining I was offered a free upgrade on my next visit. Please tell me why anyone in their right mind would want to pay to stay there again after my experience?!
The company also offers a reward scheme, this was never mentioned to me and only came to light on one of my latter stays when I checked in with colleague who had been informed of the card on her first visit. When I asked for the points to be added from my earlier stays in the month this was declined as the booking was made by a third party. What difference this makes is beyond me, the booking was for me on all of my stays. The Radisson Blu, which also has a Spa and offers a reward scheme happily credits previous stays without any issue. Therefore unless there is no availability in any other hotel in Durham the Marriott is not to be recommended.

Room Tip: Do not stay. If you want wonderful food and great rooms then The Town house is excellent and is jus...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
DurhamMarriott, General Manager at Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
We have already responded to you directly regarding your recent stay with us.
I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
Warm regards
Des Caldwell

Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

I really enjoyed my stay here, I found the staff to be lovely and helpful. They even personally delivered flowers to my room on the request of my mam, which were beautiful. The beds were so comfortable, it was just such a shame my room was hot. However we were above the swimming baths, and it was 20°c near enough I think outside. Other than that I can't complain.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We went for a weekend away and booked the Marriot Hotel. On arriving we were greeted by a friendly receptionist, he was very polite. We were booked into room 257 which was ready for us on arrival. The lift was not working as they were having a new one installed. Our room was spacious as so was the bed. The bathroom was of a good size with everything you would need. There was also a TV, a safe and tea and coffee facilities. I had no problem with this hotel, we had a view overlooking the river too which was lovely. I enjoyed my stay at the hotel and I would recommend it to my other friends.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple