2 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Marriott Hotels
PricelineUS$124
eDreamsUS$124
TravelocityUS$123
1,973 results
All reviews car park leisure club upgraded to a suite the river leisure centre excellent location per night central location reception staff buffet style breakfast was excellent town centre lovely room cathedral england
Selected filters
Reviewed 27 August 2019 via mobile

We had a great 2 night stay in a lovely family room. The room was spacious and comfortable. The leisure facilities in the hotel were excellent and the buffet breakfast was the best we’ve had in a hotel for some time. The staff were very helpful, and a special mention to Karen Richardson who posted my coat on to me after I left it in the bar during our stay - thank you! Overall I can’t praise this hotel highly enough.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2019

As we arrived at the Royal County in Durham, I was at first taken aback by the scaffolding around the front of the building and how run down it appeared from the outside, however as soon as we got inside these worries were put aside. The staff on the reception desk couldn't have been more helpful or welcoming, immediately pointing us in the direction of our room and letting us know key details about the hotel.

Our room was comfortable with a good sized double bed, plenty of cupboard storage, and a shower/bath combo in the bathroom. The air conditioning was also a welcome addition given how warm it's been of late.

The hotel also offers a well equipped gym which we made use of on our first day, and a pool with a sauna/steamroom/jacuzzi which we made use of on our second day there, all of which were most enjoyable indeed.

The but however is the differing levels of service which we experienced whilst staying. On the first evening we popped into the bar for a drink, stood at the bar and were immediately told to grab a seat and they would come to us to take an order, which they did - on the second night however we were ignored until we went to the bar to order despite us being the only people in the bar - I don't mind getting my own drink, however it seems odd to do things one way one day, and another the next.

This small issue aside, the hotel is lovely, the rooms comfortable, and the breakfast delicious - it just stopped short of being excellent.

1  Thank Dave N
Reviewed 18 August 2019 via mobile

An excellent traditional hotel with the sort of service that one would expect from a first class hotel.
Recently refurbished rooms are extremely comfortable, clean and quiet.
Proximity to the city centre means that numerous restaurants and bars are just a couple of minutes walk and the cathedral, castle and ‘Bailey’ colleges are just a further couple of minutes walk.
The staff on reception, in the restaurant and the bar are probably the most friendly and helpful I have come across in my many hotel stays on business and leisure.

Date of stay: July 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2019

My daughter and I stayed here for 2 nights, for a mini break for my birthday. It was our first visit to Durham, and we loved it! The hotel is very convenient for the city centre - an easy walk to everywhere - the Cathedral, Castle, river, lots of restaurants/cafes, and our favourite find, Crook Hall & Gardens. Our room was large, with a double bed each, a spacious shower room, and overlooking the river. Everything was v clean and comfortable. Breakfast was great - a help-yourself-buffet, hot and cold food, with everything you could want. (Slight confusion on our first morning, though, as nobody was on the desk as we entered the restaurant, so we were unsure where to sit, the procedure, etc, for a while, but it was soon rectified.) Staff were friendly, helpful and efficient. We really enjoyed our stay, and would definitely stay here again next time we visit Durham.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2019 via mobile

I’ve stayed at the Durham Marriott four times on business in the past few years, most recently for nine days during a conference that I was organising. I cannot speak highly enough about this hotel. They offered a very competitive rate for conference delegates and made it easy for them to book. During each stay, the hotel staff couldn’t have been more welcoming and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. This level of service together with the quality of the rooms and the excellent breakfasts make the Durham Marriott a hotel I’ll always want to return to. Highly recommended.

Trip type: Travelled on business