“Lovely hotel, we will return”
Review of Three Tuns Hotel

and 1 more site!
Three Tuns Hotel
Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 30 July 2011

I stayed at the Three Tuns recently with my husband and my brother and his partner. Both rooms that we had were great. They were very large and extremely comfortable. The hotel is right in the centre of the city. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was nice, quite enough for u and was served up to 10 am so no rushing about in the morning. We will stay there again.

1  Thank elizahoney
There are newer reviews for Three Tuns Hotel

Reviewed 24 July 2011

This hotel has the potential to be fabulous -interesting , quirky . Needs a makeover -themed - single colour scheme -one pattern throughout Art that's reflects Durham etc

1  Thank mickart
gm_threetuns, General Manager at Three Tuns Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2011

I agree with your observations and thank you for taking the time to post them.

Reviewed 18 July 2011

Stayed for one night in comfortable room. We arrived early and had coffee in the bar while waiting for our room. The bathroom was in need of renovation but we were fairly happy with it. Enjoyed our freshly cooked breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
gm_threetuns, General Manager at Three Tuns Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2011

Thank you for your positive comments.

Reviewed 30 June 2011

On arrival was met by friendly receptionist, and as we were early, we were able to leae our luggage until later. The general decor is tired, make that very tired. The communal areas, although comfy and reasonably clean are really in need of an update.
Our room, generous in its size, had most things you would expect, wardrobe, hairdrier, tv etc... The bathroom wasn't really up to the task.....grotty. broken tiles, huge lumps of silicon sealant holding everything together, and in need of a damned good scrubbing.
Bed was huuuuge, and the bedding clean, and as a fussy sleeper, even I had a good nights sleep.
Breakfast choice, for the size of the hotel, was very limited. Having chosen the full English, I was disappointed to be served a greasy plate of inedible rubbish.
The one redeeming factor to our stay was the location, which is nigh on perfect for exploring this wonderful city.
So all in all, the beauty of Durham didn't disappoint, but this shabby, run down hotel did.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Simon S
gm_threetuns, General Manager at Three Tuns Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2011

I am pleased the staff were friendly and that the town did not disappoint .I agree the hotel would benefit from some investment and thank you for taking the time to pass on your opinion.

Reviewed 28 June 2011

Just had 2 days,here and read some horror stories on here,but i enjoyed my stay,location is great,nice clean room(210) friendly staff,breakfest was just right.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank metaltony
gm_threetuns, General Manager at Three Tuns Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2011

Thank you for taking the team to post these kind comments.

Reviewed 18 June 2011

I booked rooms for a family trip to Durham, where I was a student 30 years ago. I remember the Three Tuns then as being "posh." In fact, my parents stayed here when they came up for my graduation, so it has very nostalgic memories. Sadly, the hotel did not live up to my memories and expectations. Although the staff were helpful and pleasant, and the breakfast very nice, the room itself looked like it had not been redecorated since my last visit in July 1983! The bathroom especially needed updating. There were cracks in the grout and old mildew. I am sorry that the management has not put money into refurbishing what could be a lovely place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Nell417
gm_threetuns, General Manager at Three Tuns Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2011

Thank you for your kind comments as regards the staff and I acknowledge that the hotel would benefit from some updating.

Reviewed 11 June 2011

My husband and I got married 2 weeks ago and had the whole reception and evening do here. What a fantastic day. Couldn't have asked for more. Each and everyone of our guest complimented how exceptional the food was and had a really enjoyable day.We were treated like royalty.All the staff were fantastic and couldn't have made the day any smoother. The general Managers were fantastic and went through everything with us step by step.
We also stayed in the Presidential Suite (honeymoon suite} this was complimentry. It was amazing, jacuuzi in the bathroom etc.
I had family stay here too and it was great, fantastic even.
I hope this review is helpful to any other couples who Is considering getting married here at the 3 tuns because I would definately say go or it you will not regret it.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
gm_threetuns, Manager at Three Tuns Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2011

Thank you for your very kind comments.