“Take your own sheets, towels and shower”
Review of Days Inn Durham

Days Inn Durham
Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Durham
Cheshire
“Take your own sheets, towels and shower”
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Having pre-booked and pre-paid for a family room for three to take our daughter to the Durham University Open Day we arrived to find no sheets on the sofa bed. When asked the Receptionist told me they had run out as it was busy and she had just given the last quilt away. She then blamed their booking system for not tlling them I had booked for three despite my having clear email confirmation. After expressing my concern I was told I could have a discounted breakfast! I declined and asked for a full refund, which to be fair she immediately gave me. We left to eat in Durham and on our return bedding had been found, though we still only had towels for two. This was less of a problem than it may have been as the shower only expressed water from two small jets either side of a multi-jet shower head at a trickle and it was actually very difficult to get wet at all.
On reflection even with a full refund this was not a place I would recommend for anyone to stay. I have emailed my comments to Head Office and am eagerly awaiting a response to how a hotel can run out of sheets for pre-booked rooms.

Room Tip: We had room 19. Would suggest this is avoided at all costs if you have to stay here.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank trythealea

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Egremont
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights on a £10 per night deal obtained through the Daily Mirror. The room was large and the bed was comfy, although the pillows were a bit 'lumpy'. We had free Wi-Fi which we managed to connect to quite easily. The hotel is just 7 miles outside Durham and not too much further to the Metro Centre. We didn't eat at the services, we preferred to eat out. We've taken advantage of the £10 per night deal before using other Days Inn hotels and have found the staff at each hotel to be very friendly. Our only complaint is that check in is after 3pm so if you arrive earlier the reception desk is closed so you have to wait for a member of staff (usually a cleaner) to give you your room key.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Ashford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Spent a saturday night there in a family room with my wife and grand-daughter.Lovely large spacious room with free wi-fi and good clean bathroom.Good supply of tea and coffee.Double bed extremely comfortable and the sofa bed large and comfortable.We bought £10 vouchers for £7 for the cafeteria next door.This was a bad choice as the breakfast charge was £15 for two which did not include tea which was about £2 each so my wife and I had to pay extra for a biscuit.The service wasn't that good and food pathetic so avoid the cafeteria at all costs but would recomend the hotel itself.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
north yorkshire
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Decided to take advantage of a visit to Durham for a day/night out - [ & Metro Shooping Centre at Newcastle]. Booked a discounted "Daily Mirror / Days Inn " deal last autumn for £10.00 !!

Arrived at Days Inn [ just off A1], at about 1.30pm - a little before "booking in" time, when unfortunately there is no receptionist, but very nice "cleaning staff} took basic details - but not payment- and allowed me in to Room 5 on ground floor.

You may say standard Travelodge / Premier Inn type room and facilities, but they were all very good, with clear and modern tv, tea / coffee making facilties [ with unlimited supplies of tea/coffee etc], tidt & clean bathroom with really hot water, a very good & comfortable bed.

Generally a very good clean room with full facilities & convenient to the A 1 - even if i had paid full price - and a more so a generous bargain at £10.00.

Can by "meal ticket" for £7.50 which is worth £10.00 in value in meals next door at the services centre - did not try - as we ate out in Durham - and were early away next morning.I understand that on this deal children under 10 eat for free - so for a family, i think it offers reasonable value.

Enjoyed 4 hour visit to Durham including "Cathedral", all of which was a very pleasent place, although quite "hilly city centre". Visit to Metro at Newcastle shopping centre was very good, and which i believe is one of the better shopping "malls" in the UK, even if it is one of the earlier ones.

Good trip out

Room Tip: Room 5 is away from car parking view with no road noise , although it is the first room on the corri...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Penrith, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Excellent value at £25 for the room. Comnfortable and everything you need bearing in mind the price. Would stay again.

Paying £7.50 for a £10.00 voucher for food in the nearby services seems quite good but the choices available in the servcie area are limited and uninspiring.

Setting uip the free wifi is a bit fiddly but got there in the end. Will it remember me when I stay in a Days Inn again ? We'll see.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2012

Close to motorway but I was not disturbed by the sounds of traffic. I only stayed 2 nights but found it very enjoyable, having two locals on check inn was nice, the room was clean and warm with a standard but clean bathroom. In my room I had a telly with rea/coffee making facilities which does me really. I would use again , my only gripe was the cost as in reality I could get a hotel for the same if not cheaper price.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed 28 December 2011

Stayed here for a few days, really friendly staff but there was an issue with the hot water and we couldn't have a bath or shower for 2 days. Room clean but a little tired looking. Got a cheap deal and I would have been demading money back if I'd paid full rack rate for no hot water. About a 15 minute drive into Durham city centre. Use the park and ride as a good service. Restaurant in service station was extortionate. Went to the Poachers where the portions were huge but so was the barmaid's attitude towards us. We were made to feel most un-welcome (obviously because we weren't local - like being in Royston Vasey).

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple