“Lovely place and lovely staff”
Review of Days Inn Durham

Days Inn Durham
Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Durham
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
“Lovely place and lovely staff”
Reviewed 10 October 2012

My family and I have stayed here countless times over the years, starting when it was owned by another company (either Travel Lodge or Premier Inn, I can't remember which) and carrying on through the change in management. The welcome is always very warm, the staff are always lovely, the rooms are always comfortable and clean- overall it's just a really nice place to stay. Where it's part of a service station there's even food and drink about thirty seconds from the door of the hotel. Every time I've been there the people who clean the rooms/make the beds have always tucked my teddy in when they clean! It's just a nice and caring bit of attention to detail that they don't need to do.

I would recommend this to anyone who's going to stay at Durham. However, this is in Durham services, so I should point out that you need a car to be able to get into Durham City.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Maria L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Vienne, France
Reviewed 8 October 2012

I found this hotel on my phone on a Sunday morning in a supermarket carpark in Stanley. We were travelling from Glasgow to France and had developed mechanical troubles and needed a place to overnight. We booked it at £25 although couldn't print anything obviously.
We turned up at about 1200 - too early for check in - and just sat in the 2 chairs in the small lobby. Quite happy. After a while the cleaners noticed us and asked about our res. but as we were a very late booking they had no details. We were happy to wait until the desk opened at 1500 but they very nicely allocated us a ground floor room and let us in.
Thankyou so much ladies!!!
We later talked to Craig at reception and filled in the forms etc.
The room was spacious with a sofa bed as well as a comfy double and very clean. The shower was an over bath and had good pressure.
I thought that it was a nice friendly place to stay and would stay there again. I wasn't so keen on the food options - McDonalds - but at least we could eat and the WH Smiths was 24 hrs, I don't remember if the McD was. We were told that there were more eating options a short drive away but as our transport was knackered that wasn't possible.
I liked this place and the way we were treated as unexpected guests and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as a good overnight/short stay.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We stayed at this motel on the A1 at J61 on our recent trip to the GNR. It is ideal for a night stop, no frills but a reasonable clean bed and 15 mins from Durham. The bedroom and bathroom were not spotless and the carpet looked very shabby all very typical of motorway inns. The shower head fell apart but kept working! I couldn't connect to wi-fi and eventually gave up. Only one member of staff in reception and she looked under pressure with several issues at a busy time so I decided she did not need another one. The Inn is with a Roadchef which included McDonalds, Costa, and a WH Smith. We paid a lot for this room probably because it was Great North Run weekend and to be honest it was not value for money. I certianly would not stay there again at the rate we paid but maybe for a better deal.

Room Tip: Our room was motorway side so there was constant road noise. Maybe the car park side would be quiete...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Its now the second time I have stayed at the Days Inn at Bowburn on the A1 just outside the beautiful City of Durham. A pleasant comfortable friendly motel with decent facilities in the rooms, staffed by locals whom are always happy to help and direct. The only negative thing I could say is that the rooms are all white matt paint which often leaves them open to grubby marks, this can't be helped of course, especially when kids are staying. I think maybe a pastal shade of green or lavender in the rooms would eliminate this minor issue. I will stay there again next time I head up to this beautiful city,

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Cheshire
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Having pre-booked and pre-paid for a family room for three to take our daughter to the Durham University Open Day we arrived to find no sheets on the sofa bed. When asked the Receptionist told me they had run out as it was busy and she had just given the last quilt away. She then blamed their booking system for not tlling them I had booked for three despite my having clear email confirmation. After expressing my concern I was told I could have a discounted breakfast! I declined and asked for a full refund, which to be fair she immediately gave me. We left to eat in Durham and on our return bedding had been found, though we still only had towels for two. This was less of a problem than it may have been as the shower only expressed water from two small jets either side of a multi-jet shower head at a trickle and it was actually very difficult to get wet at all.
On reflection even with a full refund this was not a place I would recommend for anyone to stay. I have emailed my comments to Head Office and am eagerly awaiting a response to how a hotel can run out of sheets for pre-booked rooms.

Room Tip: We had room 19. Would suggest this is avoided at all costs if you have to stay here.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank trythealea

Travellers are raving about these Durham hotels

Egremont
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights on a £10 per night deal obtained through the Daily Mirror. The room was large and the bed was comfy, although the pillows were a bit 'lumpy'. We had free Wi-Fi which we managed to connect to quite easily. The hotel is just 7 miles outside Durham and not too much further to the Metro Centre. We didn't eat at the services, we preferred to eat out. We've taken advantage of the £10 per night deal before using other Days Inn hotels and have found the staff at each hotel to be very friendly. Our only complaint is that check in is after 3pm so if you arrive earlier the reception desk is closed so you have to wait for a member of staff (usually a cleaner) to give you your room key.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Ashford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Spent a saturday night there in a family room with my wife and grand-daughter.Lovely large spacious room with free wi-fi and good clean bathroom.Good supply of tea and coffee.Double bed extremely comfortable and the sofa bed large and comfortable.We bought £10 vouchers for £7 for the cafeteria next door.This was a bad choice as the breakfast charge was £15 for two which did not include tea which was about £2 each so my wife and I had to pay extra for a biscuit.The service wasn't that good and food pathetic so avoid the cafeteria at all costs but would recomend the hotel itself.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family