“Nice restaurant - average food”
Review of Filini Restaurant - Durham - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We recently stayed in the Radisson Blu hotel, and ate in the Filini restaurant one evening as part of our Spa package. On arrival at the restaurant, the waiter did acknowledge our booking and sat us at our table quickly, but was unaware that we were to have the package menu rather than the full menu. This was rectified by another waiter. The restaurant itself was very modern, and had a good atmosphere. We both chose pizzas which were OK but underwhelming, and on asking us, we advised the waiter, who just nodded and took our plates away. Our tiramisu desserts took a while to arrive, but were very yummy. Over-all we found the restaurant OK, but the service was slightly lacking, and we were a bit disappointed with the pizzas. The restaurant did appear busy every evening we stayed at the hotel, and everyone sitting around us during our meal seemed to be enjoying themselves and commenting on how nice the food was, so perhaps we were just unlucky.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Last week our cousins were over from Canada and chose the Rasisson for their last few days in the area.

They invited us to dinner in the hotel and we loved the surroundings and the staff were brilliant.
Very pleasant attentive young people.
There were seven of us. One ordered pasta and I think that was o.k Three of us ordered lamb and my hubby and cousin husband ordered young chicken. Another cousin ordered the Sea bream, and another ordered her meal.

When the meal came, my husband and the other one who ordered chicken were a bit puzzled. One movement of the fork and this YOUNG CHICKEN disintegrated into a pile of slimy skin and bone. It could not even be picked off the bone as it was improperly cooked. The plate was an absolute mess. Three of us had lamb and we got two tiny EYES of lamb chop with the whole bone showing, and a tiny piece alongside. Medium to well turned out to be barely chewable.

The first member of staff came along and asked how things were. No one wanted to complain as we were being taken to dinner and did not want to look to be rude. However, I said to the young man that chicken is disgusting, he did not know what to say. I said it looks awful and there is nothing on it at all. He said well it is young chicken. I asked him if he would eat that? He screwed his face up and had to agree that he would not. We said the lamb was overdone and dry and the girl apologised for that.

She said we could have desert or knock it off the bill.
This she did but I went to the toilet and was sick. The two plates were revolting and we had to sit and look at them till they were taken away.

We did not order dessert as we were fed up by then.

The vegetables were absolutely gorgeous and plenty of them too. No complaints there.
What was really annoying was the prices and the quality. no comparison whatsoever.
I cooked chicken breast, mushrooms, leeks, plum tomatoes fresh cream and rice the next day at home and it was a quarter of the price. And it was all edible.

I felt uncomfortable complaining because it was our cousin's treat and was afraid we would seem ungrateful but if no one complains then it would not be corrected.

I am sorry Radisson but there you have it, we won't be recommending the restaurant to anyone.
and if people do go, do not order YOUNG CHICKEN unless it is a boiled egg.

I was sick because It looked like boiled roadkill. bones and skin.
Staff, lovely but embarrassed by our complaints.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

wide selection of choice, staff very helpful, nice and clean , food was lovely one of the best breakfast we have had at hotels we have visited .

Reviewed 8 March 2014

An excellent meal - much more like eating in Italy. Just one gripe - my mozzarella carozza starter was a bit like a toasted cheese sandwich with rather mean filling. The waitress was quite concerned when I told her and offered complimentary drinks . But the rest of the meal was cooked well, served well and cheerfully - great!

1  Thank Damian B
Reviewed 20 February 2014

The food was fantastic, we had a taste card so it made it even better value. The staff were very attentive and even made a special effort of the birthday celebration.