“Excellent food and service”
Review of Central Thai

Central Thai
Ranked #98 of 320 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Visited this restaurant with a Groupon offer, which was extremly good value. We had two starters, two main courses and two rice for £12. The food and service were excellent.

We both had chicken satay which was lovely and a thai red chicken curry and duck with chilli and garlic. The service was good and the food was lovely.

Have been to the restaurant in the past and the only complaint was that the restaurant was cold. This time the restaurant was warm and inviting (possibly because it was full due to the offer)

Would highly recommend this restaurant-even without a money off voucher. It is a little difficult to get to but is in a lovely setting overlooking the river and cathedral.

Reviewed 13 November 2011

1st time we'd eaten out in a thai restaurant so didn't know what to expect. The staff were lovely couldn't fault them at all. The food was second to none. The attention to detail how some of the side salad was dressed with our starters was amazing. Even had to take a picture as I was amazed. Our main meal again was tasty and delicious, couldn't fault it.

Drinks were ok priced too, just the normal restaurant prices really. Toilets were spotless.

10/10 will definitely return.

1  Thank Stephen H
Reviewed 12 November 2011

I purchased a Groupon Voucher for Central Thai and it was a pretty good deal.

I was slightly put off when I phoned to book as the person who answered the phone was rude and unfriendly - however I put this down to a language thing.

When we arrived (having spent 20 minutes trying to find the place - it isnt in the Gates at all but just off the main road bridge) we were 'greeted' but an extremely unfriendly guy who barely said a word, pointed to a table, showed us to it, handed us menus and left! Throughout our meal he remained the most dour person Ive ever seen. I put it down again to language, but my companion rightly pointed out that a smile is the same in any language! The restaurant is in a really really ugly location but once inside it is beautifully decorated and has good views of the river.

To offset this though the young lady serving was very friendly, polite and helpful.

The food was very good but quite spicy. What they called medium was on the very edge of being too hot for me but was wonderfully prepared, fragrant and tasty.

The atmosphere in the restaurant was seriously lacking due to the attitude of the manager which many people seemed to mention plus it being totally silent apart from a radio in the kitchen somewhere.

I was pretty disgusted to be charge £2 for a small glass of orange squash and water. Probably about a penny's worth of drink so that was extortionate! Alcoholic drinks looked fairly reasonable though.

Portions werent exactly generous but were adequate - I think in this country we expect to be filled to uncomfortable but that isnt what eating out should be about. The quality of food was good but the prices were perhaps a little on the high side.

I'd recommend Central Thai for the food if you want Thai and want to eat in Durham but to be honest the miserable nature of the manager would put me off ever going there again. He really spoilt it!

Reviewed 8 November 2011

The place is average not great at all.Food portions are small on some dishes chicken and cashew had 8 pieces of chicken and 5 cashews.
The staff were nice except for one thing the manager who hovers around watching everyone without breaking a smile at all. I would not come here again due to manager as his vibe brings the atmosphere down.It is a little tricky to find in Dark but do your homework and it be easier. Best dish if you do go central Thai beef sirloin.

Reviewed 29 October 2011

For a start, Durham has very little to offer as far as restaurants go. Avoiding Pizza Express/ Zizzi/ Bella Italia/ Cafe Rouge la la la... as we can visit them anywhere, we thought we'd give this Thai place a go. It's well overpriced for what you get. The food is average at best. The service is not particularly welcoming. We left feeling ripped off and wished we had gone to Pizza Express/ Zizzi/ Bella Italia/ Cafe Rouge instead...