“EXCELLENT!!!”

Ranked #87 of 329 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$6 - US$27
Cuisines: Contemporary, British, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Awarded a Rosette for the second consecutive year in June 2012, celebrating our commitment to excellent food and great service, Bailey's Restaurant offers contemporary dining in stylish, comfortable surroundings. Our menus change seasonally, created by Executive Head Chef Harry Bailie, using locally sourced produce wherever possible.The same menu runs throughout the building, giving you the choice of dining in our restaurant, comfortable bar, or relaxed Atirum area.
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Excellent food courteous attentative staff and very freindly welcome. Visited for steak night £25 for 2 steaks, chips & a bottle of wine - excellent value, we will be back!!

HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at Bailey's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2011

Dear Lynn R

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time and leaving a review regarding your recent visit to Bailey's Bar & Restaurant. I'm delighted that you had a wonderful evening and the food you both had was excellent and all staff encountered was friendly and attentive. On wednesday evening our steak night is certainly been more popular and pleased you also found the offering excellent value for money. We will look forward to seeing you soon in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 7 August 2011

i went to the honest lawyer for my birthday meal i can not believe how great it was.from the minute we walked in to the minute we left we were over joyed with the treatment we recieved was fantastic. i would recommend it to anyone who wishes to have a fab meal. i could not believe my eyes when i saw my meal which was the steak burger come out i felt like it was never ending. Other members of family had the steaks and other meal they were all good sized and well worth the price we paid.

1  Thank queenamandajayne
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at Bailey's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2011

Dear quennamandajayne

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time and leaving a review regarding your recent visit to our restaurant. I'm delighted to see that you found the service on that evening fantastic. Also all the food you enjoyed was to a very high standard, I will pass all your kind words down to all the team. We will certainly look forward to your next visit in the not to distant future.

Reviewed 6 August 2011

Have visited this restaurant a few times this year, the last being a couple of weekends ago on a Saturday evening where we had the pleasure of staying in the hotel too. The food has always been exceptional and of a very high quality. Plenty to chose from. This time I had the scallop starter and they were cooked to perfection. The main course I had the haddock and chips and have to say the chips are the best I have ever eaten! The home made desserts are always delicious, this time I chose the home made ice creams. I have also enjoyed sunday lunch at this restaurant too and cant recommend it highly enough. Prices are very reasonable especially for the high quality of food. The staff are also very attentive and very friendly. Best restaurant in Durham in my opinion. We are looking forward to coming back again very soon.

1  Thank emster78
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at Bailey's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2011

Dear emster78

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time and leaving a review regarding your recent visit to Bailey's Bar & Restaurant. I'm pleased you enjoyed the scallops for your starter, the AA critic on his visit in June actually had that starter to start of his meal and also throughly enjoyed it. I'm also delighted you enjoyed the haddock and chips, and found the homemade chips the best you have eaten, this is one of my best sellers in the Bar & Restaurant even with more creative dishes to choose from. And of course the homemade ice creams hit the spot, I do hope you recommended to one the team a ice cream that is your favourite, maybe then Samantha our pastry chef will include this on our vast selection of homemade ice-creams for the future. Again it certainly pleases me that all the team are attentive and friendly on each of your visits. All you comments will be passed down to all the team, and we will certainly look forward to your next visit in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 4 August 2011

Went here for lunch on a weekday. It was very quiet - just a couple of tables filled in the whole place (which is huge). The interior was quite pleasant but we decided to sit outside on the decking as it was a nice day. The only downside was the very loud road noise. The staff were nice and very helpful.

I would describe the food as just okay. I had a club sandwich, which was presented very nicely. However, the bacon was poor (it had that 'fishy' taste that bacon can take on after it's been frozen) and the chicken was very hard. My husband agreed that it wasn't very nice. The chips that came with it were tasty (if a little too greasy) but I wouldn't order it again. My husband had chilli served with tortilla chips, which he enjoyed. However, we were both unimpressed by the post-mix softdrinks. I had diet coke and he had coke, both of which tasted awful and really chemically.

I might stop here again if I was passing by and it was a nice day but I'd be sure to order some pre-bottled drinks and think more carefully about the food I ordered.

HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at Bailey's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2011

Dear Sophcana

First of all I would like to thank you personally for taking the time and leaving a review regarding your recent visit to Bailey's Bar & Restaurant. I would like to reply, on some of your comments regarding your club sandwich which you ordered from the lunch time menu, our bacon is cooked off fresh for each of the club sandwiches, and I will certainly speak to my brigade in the kitchen, as on this occasion it certainly was not up to the usual standard during your visit. The homemade chips which you commented on was very tasty however a little greasy. To be honest over the last 10 days the potatoes that we normally use are going through the change of the season, so this will not effect the taste quality however I have certainly notice that they are a little greasier than normal due the the excess water in the potatoes, which before your acurate comments, we had already spoke to our supplier to get this resolved and I'm glad to say that they are back to the high standard that we are use to. The post mix can be inconsistant wherever you go due to the nature of the syrup in the mix, we have addressed this issue, to make sure the product is right for all future customers. I'm delighted you found the staff nice and helpful during your visit. I appreciate all you feedback either positive or constructive, this is the only way we can consistantly develop our business in the right direction and exceed our customers expectations on every visit. I would be delighted if you would return to Bailey' Bar & Restaurant in the not to distant future, and please introduce yourself to me and give me further feedback on the food & service during your visit, my customers are the very heart of my business, and I value each and everyone's opinion.

Thanks again!

Best Western Honest Lawyer Hotel

Reviewed 3 August 2011

I came here with friends for sunday lunch a couple of weeks ago and was so impressed I thought I would pass on my thoughts so others realise how good this place is.
Service is great, staff can't do enough for you even when it is incredibly busy as it was when I arrived.
Food is, as said previously, restaurant quality at pub prices. The portion sizes are also very reasonable. I would recommend the steak burger most certainly!
I will be coming back in the very near future, keep up the good work!

1  Thank Durham19542011
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at Bailey's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2011

Dear Durham19542011

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time and leaving a review regarding your recent visit to Bailey's Bar & Restaurant. I'm delighted you were very impressed when you dined with us on Sunday, and you thought our offering is excellent value with great service and the team looked after your party during your visit. I will pass all your kind words down to all departments, they are always thrilled reading our customers reviews. And confirms we must always exceed our guest expectations on every visit. We will look forward to your next visit in the not too distant future.