“Calm, peaceful and a lovely place to sit and think.”
Review of Durham Cathedral

Durham Cathedral
Ranked #1 of 57 things to do in Durham
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Durham Cathedral has been a place of worship, welcome and hospitality for almost one thousand years. Located at the heart of the Durham UNESCO World Heritage Site, Durham Cathedral is one of the finest examples of Romanesque architecture in Europe. Built in 1093, the Cathedral is famous as the Shrine of St Cuthbert and the resting place of the Venerable Bede. Durham Cathedral also boasts the most intact surviving set of medieval monastic buildings in the UK. These spectacular spaces house Open Treasure, a world-class visitor experience which reveals the remarkable story of Durham Cathedral and its incredible collections through temporary and permanent exhibits for visitors of all ages. Entrance to Durham Cathedral is free, with donations invited. Charges apply to group tours, public tours and Open Treasure.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Ataija de Baixo, Portugal
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Calm, peaceful and a lovely place to sit and think.”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Lots of information in and around the building. The choir was practising whilst we were there which increased the total atmosphere. The area outside and around the cathedral building was lovely and well worth the walk around.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Still brilliant”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I last visited Durham cathedral when I was in my teens and now I am in my 70s but it still enthralled me. The architecture is magnificent and the local people enthusiastic. We took a guided tour which I would strongly recommend as we learned so much about the cathedral, the city and it's people. I hope I get there again sooner!

West Kirby, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Amazing”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Not much you can say really it's just one of those places that amazes and bewilders at the same time I particularly liked the small chapel dedicated to the Durham light infantry which list all the fallen of the 1st world war and unusually the battles where they fell very poignant.there is no admission fee unlike so many other 'houses of god ' so we were more than happy to make a donation.

Watford, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Breathtaking architecture”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

This building is stunning and whatever your personal beliefs, the generations of prayer that have been said or song in this place have left a peace and serenity in its atmosphere. The tower is well worth the leg ache, affording magnificent views over Durham. The Friends of Durham Cathedral were out in force in their purple robes and were lovely; informative and helpful while being smiley and welcoming. I am very glad that we visited, and I feel spiritually refreshed!

Norfolk, England
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Brilliant historical landmark”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Durham Cathedral is what makes Durham really. It's a beautifully majestic building, steeped in history and lovely to explore. I would like to go back without the bored teenager in tow so that there was no problem with me "reading absolutely everything". I would also like to go up the tower because I'm sure the view is spectacular. You can't take your bags up there though because the stairwell is very narrow and you do have to be fit to go up it. Great gift shop too.

Visited July 2014