“A lovely cottage in an idyllic setting”
Durham farm cottages County Durham
Durham farm cottages
County Durham
Stowhouse farm cottages
Durham holidays
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Excellent - based on 42 reviews

Reviews from our community

Patricis...
Biggleswade, United Kingdom
“A lovely cottage in an idyllic setting”
Reviewed 25 May 2014 for a stay in May 2014

Bramble Cottage was the perfect place for a peaceful and relaxing holiday. It was clean, comfortable, beautifully presented and situated on a 50 acre farm with sheep, horses and chickens. The view from the living room and kitchen windows was lovely, green fields filled with sheep, lambs and magnificent trees. There were lots of walks around the farm with superb views, we even saw curlews landing in one of the fields. Although our weather was reasonable for mid-May, we were very grateful for the central heating for the chillier parts of the day. Jane and Keith were extremely welcoming, making our stay very enjoyable and we were more than pleased with the lovely eggs which came from their very free range chickens. The cottage was very well placed for visiting the numerous interesting places that County Durham has to offer and we would not hesitate to recommend Bramble Cottage to anyone who is looking for a quiet, rural retreat within easy reach of both the City of Durham and the beautiful wild North Pennines.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Everything
Liked least: Nothing
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 65+
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
31 May 2014
Thank you for your kind comments. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to hopefully seeing you again in the future.
Best wishes
Hampshire
Reviewed 22 April 2014 for a stay in April 2014

A romantic getaway
26 May 2014
Thank you for your comments, pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you all again in the future.

sheepygol...
london
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,151 helpful votes
“A nice place to stay but with some issues”
Reviewed 2 February 2014 for a stay in October 2013
people found this review helpful

My wife and I have family nearby and so have stayed in this area many times but only once in self catering in a place nearby which we thought was not brilliant so we found this one on Tripadvisor. We booked Ivy cottage (2 bedrooms) for 9 days.

We stayed here late October 2013 but I have just got round to catching up with my reviews.

We arrived early evening as it was getting dark having been on the road since about 10am. The directions to reach the property were fine as we knew the area a little but the promised sign at the entrance had been removed and so we turned in to the drive without being certain we were in the right place. We parked up in the pouring rain and went to find the key which was not there. I rang the owner who apologized and explained the beds were not done and could we come back in an hour. This was a bit disappointing but luckily we have relatives 10 minutes drive away so we stayed with them.

When we came back all was ok however when we explored the property we found it did not have a washing machine and dryer. We found this property on Trip Advisor and on that website it does not point out that the cottage we stayed in has to share a laundry. It also does not point out that you have to pay about £6 per wash. The info about the separate laundry is clear on the owners website but the fact you have to pay is not so clear.

As we had problems with our arrival the washing facilities were put on free vend which probably saved us £30 over our stay.

On our first night the boiler kept turning itself on and off during the night and I was woken up many times and could not work out how to turn it off as it was a model I had not seen before. The owner came by the next day and showed me how to work it.

The bathroom fan was linked to the light switch and was quite noisy. The problem was that it ran on for about 30 minutes after the light was turned off and so you could not use the bathroom light at night without waking others up. There was no isolating switch.

My wife likes to have a shower but we found this impossible as there did not seem to be enough water pressure to get the temperature right so the shower was far too hot. The owner did explain this was an issue with the type of boiler and it could be controlled by turning on the bathroom tap - but we could not get it to work so it meant we could not use the shower.

During one night I was woken up by a terrific rushing water noise and found it was the WC cistern which was filling up in seconds and then flushing constantly. I turned off the isolating valve and this was fixed the next day when I called the owner.

When we put items in the fridge I found there was a lot of water on the packaging which I needed to pour away constantly. The owner said this was normal condensation but I think maybe the fridge door seal was not fitting correctly. I also had a problem with one of the gas rings which kept blowing out.

As far as farm goes it is in a great location with fantastic views and it is peaceful if a little isolated. There are shops and pubs about 10-15 minutes drive away.

The accommodation was clean and simply furnished. There were just 2 of us so we had sufficient room but I would not have wished to stay here with others as we would have been falling over each other. We had visitors over and certainly with 4 adults the lounge appears very small indeed.

It is a shame we had so many little issues as I would have scored this place rather better. The owners were readily available though when we had problems and this is a good plus point.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: Location
Liked least: Separate laundry and lots of niggles
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
26 May 2014
No matter how much we do strive to make sure all our guests have an enjoyable stay with us, very occasionally things may go wrong and we do our best to rectify them straight away.
As this guest has left negative comments regarding one of our cottages please let me explain our side of events just in case you thought all of our other very satisfied reviewers have been incorrect with their comments. I apologise for the long response whilst I reply to all the points mentioned.
The first two were our fault and we did at the time apologise unreservedly to our guest.
The ‘promised sign’ was down on the arrival date having being blown down during recent strong winds. We had just repainted it and as it was still slightly tacky, therefore we had not put it up on the day of arrival. We did apologise for this and were pleased that this guest found his way with the directions which had been sent to him. The reviewer failed to mention that the sign was reinstated the morning after arrival, which we appreciate was a little late to help this particular guest on his arrival. We do our best to ensure that details are kept up to date on our literature and website although minor alterations may be made from time to time due to unforeseen circumstances.
Jane had been called out on small family emergency and had expected to be back well in time for the guests arrival but unfortunately she was delayed. When the guest called me I told him I was only 20 minutes away and could let him in the minute I got back. As he was so disgruntled, I did suggest that if he wished he could visit the local pub one mile away and I would pay for their evening meal. He declined and told me they had family they were planning to visit nearby. The cottage was available 20 minutes after their arrival and the statement that I allegedly said ‘go away for an hour’ is simply not the case.
As mentioned, our website does state there is a shared laundry room. The website also states on the common questions/contact us page that there is a separate charge for the laundry power. This is the only additional charge. We strongly suggest that all guests who are considering booking with us fully read all of the literature provided on our website and do not solely rely on information printed by an advertising company, so that there is no confusion or disappointment on arrival. This guest had completed a booking form for which he had signed to say that he had read and agreed to our terms and conditions in which full details of the shared laundry room and additional charges are detailed. As a gesture of goodwill for us not being there on arrival I did switch it onto free vend for the full duration of his stay. The average wash costs £2 and not £6 as he stated. The £6 wash is a two and a half hour cycle for heavily soiled clothes.
With regards to the boiler issue, the guest pretty much covered in his posting. The thermostat on the central heating system was reigniting the boiler when the air temperature dropped below a certain temperature to re heat the radiators as the manufacturer designed.
The bathroom extractor fan is linked with the light switch and programmed to run on after the light is turned off. This is common practice in bathrooms to clear steam created from a bath or shower after the vacating the bathroom and is in line with the guidance we get from the tourist board. Since the guest complained, I have reduced the time it stays on just in case this is a distraction for future guests. To further reduce the timings would mean that the bathroom could become covered with mould and mildew for which we would also be criticised.
There is no issue with the shower. Each cottage has its own separate combination boiler installed and they heat hot water on demand as opposed to storing a tank of water. This means that if you slow the pressure on the tap right down the water temperature will increase. By increasing the water pressure the boiler has more water flowing through it per minute so would be cooler. The shower also has a thermostatic valve so any temperature can be achieved and has never been commented on before. I am not sure where the ‘turn on the bath tap’ comment I was supposed to have made came from, as doing this would lower the pressure even more and also increase temperature. I did spend 5 minutes showing the couple how to use the shower (which isn’t difficult). They seemed to understand and said they were happy with the temperature when I showed them how to use it correctly.
The ‘terrific rush’ of water. A little dramatic perhaps but yes, the ball valve did fail and was repaired as soon as we were informed. Again we did apologise for this, the cottages do occasionally suffer from breakages from general wear and tear and we fix them as quickly as we possibly can.
The fridge seal is fine. The design is such that the back of the fridge does get a small amount of condensation on it. That is why the manufacturer has designed a drain at the bottom rear to carry away this small build up. The problem with wet produce arises when you put your food items too far back in the fridge touching the rear of it. The shelves are even designed with a turned up edge on the far end to try and prevent this from happening.
One of the four gas rings did not stay lit, this was because the detachable gas ring in question on the top of the hob had been knocked and was not seated correctly. It was easily fixed within a minute of getting the text message from the customer. Incidentally during this emergency call out to the guest, we also showed him how to use the toaster which he couldn’t get to work as he was bashing away at the handle to try and get it to stay down. By showing the guest how to gently press the handle down, miraculously it worked and we received no further complaint.
Regarding the cottage being in the guest’s opinion too small for 4 people. The cottage is annually inspected and rated 4 stars by the Visit Britain for 4 adults.
Thank you for bearing with me on this long reply. I do hope that it puts any future guests mind at rest and gives a balanced view from our perspective on this guests review of Ivy Cottage.
101Paul_5...
Petersfield, United Kingdom
“First class accommodation”
Reviewed 3 November 2013 for a stay in November 2013

Cornmill Cottage is perfect for a quiet break - the cottage is well equipped, clean and in a perfect spot to tour the Durham area.
We loved it and will return.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location, peace and quality of accommodation
Liked least: Nothing - would be great to have internet access
Travelling group: Teenagers
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
3 Nov 2013
Hi Paul,

Thank you for your comments. We now have free wi-fi throughout all the cottages.
Hope to see you all again.
Keith
liverpool
Reviewed 23 September 2013 for a stay in August 2013

A romantic getaway

Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 September 2013 for a stay in August 2013

A romantic getaway Older travelers
1 Sep 2013
Thank you for your kind comments. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us in Cornmill Cottage. We hope to seeing you all again in the future. I hope you had a pleasant journey home.

Dumfries
Reviewed 29 August 2013 for a stay in August 2013

A romantic getaway Older travelers
Rugged travelers
29 Aug 2013

Keith and Jane
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
US$134
Night
Week
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing