“Great pub, not great service!”

The Head of Steam Durham
Ranked #38 of 324 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$6 - US$21
Cuisines: Brew Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I feel bad writing this review, but wanted to share my experience of the service. I went with two friends for lunch and a couple of drinks. I must say the food was delicious and really good value, and you certainly can't knock the beer selection. However the staff managed to bring over the wrong chips to my friend, the wrong sandwich to me (at which point I was questioned over my honesty), we were then served non-alcoholic beers instead of alcoholic ones accidentally. When we questioned this we had to argue to get the taken off the bill, which they then weren't when we got the bill! A bit of a shame as the staff on the whole seemed lovely but it did seem like a lot of errors in one go!

3  Thank LottieW84

Reviewed 27 April 2014

A hidden gem this little beer heaven is well worth looking out for. Loved the whole vibe of the place, such a wide choice of great beers and the staff were friendly and knowledgeable. The food is good too, as previously mentioned the portions are very generous! My husband hasn't stopped talking about his delicious pulled beef sandwich!

2  Thank Karen C
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We came across this pub thanks to TripAdvisor and I'm so glad we went, it was happy hour so food while we were there so I had a pepperoni pizza for £3.95! It was lovely one of the best I've had. Such a wide range of beers too for all the ale lovers plus Rekordalig on tap which you dont come across very often! I will definatly come again when I visit Durham again!

2  Thank Catherine L
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Knowledgable staff help to guide you through the unsurpassed selection of Belgian beers. This is a Mecca for the Belgian connoisseur and well worth a visit.

1  Thank Bmfw
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Love this pub! Stopped in Durham while travelling between locations and came here based on reviews – absolutely lives up to reputation. Has a bit of a rock theme to it, loads of interesting things on the walls and window sills to look at. Staff really friendly and the portion sizes MASSIVE! Highly recommend the wild boar burger with hand cut chips. Awesome.

2  Thank DelightedKitty