“Eurobeers and good food”

The Head of Steam Durham
Ranked #37 of 323 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$6 - US$21
Cuisines: Brew Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 25 May 2014

The Head of Steam usually serves decent food, offers make the food good value for money, but its usually of satisfying quality either way. They also feature a nice and varied range of beers from around Europe. Its not the cheapest pub in Durham but it offers quality and variety.

1  Thank Lathrisk

Reviewed 18 May 2014

On one of the few gorgeous days in Durham, there are a few great places to sit outside and enjoy the day. Head of Steam is one of our favs, not for the scenery but for the beer.

We often come here, but the quality of the food needs some serious reevaluation as competition begins to ramp up in Durham (especially when dropping £30 on lunch). You can get a better burger for your money at Tango’s, but you can’t beat the beer selection at Head of Steam. Although, during weekday happy hour you can get a decent pizza!

The apricot ketchup is not great, and the ‘mexican’ chicken burger is bland (instead of letting the salsa carry the item, the chicken itself could use a lime tequila marinade). Also, the ‘Cajun’ fries would be better described as ‘rosemary’ fries, since that is all you can taste.

All in all, Head of Steam is a wonderful place to hang out (after you’ve eaten!). It’s time for Head of Steam to step up to the competition!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I hadn't been out in Durham and so had no idea how diverse the pubs were.
We particularly liked this one because of the choice of beers and the buzz of the place.
One thing to note ,check the prices before you order as some of the beers can be quite expensive,delicious but expensive !

1  Thank timbo1959
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I feel bad writing this review, but wanted to share my experience of the service. I went with two friends for lunch and a couple of drinks. I must say the food was delicious and really good value, and you certainly can't knock the beer selection. However the staff managed to bring over the wrong chips to my friend, the wrong sandwich to me (at which point I was questioned over my honesty), we were then served non-alcoholic beers instead of alcoholic ones accidentally. When we questioned this we had to argue to get the taken off the bill, which they then weren't when we got the bill! A bit of a shame as the staff on the whole seemed lovely but it did seem like a lot of errors in one go!

3  Thank LottieW84
Reviewed 27 April 2014

A hidden gem this little beer heaven is well worth looking out for. Loved the whole vibe of the place, such a wide choice of great beers and the staff were friendly and knowledgeable. The food is good too, as previously mentioned the portions are very generous! My husband hasn't stopped talking about his delicious pulled beef sandwich!

2  Thank Karen C