“A hidden gem”

Oriental Museum
Ranked #5 of 60 things to do in Durham
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: From Ancient Egypt to modern China, we are the only museum in the North of England devoted entirely to the art and archaeology of the great cultures of Northern Africa and Asia. The Oriental Museum is normally open Monday - Friday, 10am - 5pm and Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays, 12pm - 5pm.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Lockers / storage, Stairs / lift, Baby buggy parking, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

What a lovely museum, ten minute walk from city centre and only £1.50 entry. The exhibits are excellent and we thoroughly enjoyed our time.

1  Thank Melhutton
in 11 reviews
"couple of hours"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Born in 1977, the year of the original Star Wars in a galaxy far, far away in the past, this Korean artist is very much part of today and one I believe will be very prominent in the future.
Her work is displayed on the lower ground floor, in a building that looks from the outside, to be no bigger than a university study room.
Its a fascinating museum, with contemporary art sitting beside works that are thousands of years old. Filtered lighting protects the displays and with so much to see on many different levels, time spent here really is a pleasure with a bonus of not too being too hard on the pocket either.

1  Thank Simon W
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

First time I have visited very impressed museum was a bit hot but well worth a visit good value for money

2  Thank Andymac1111
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Took my daughter (9) as she's really interested in Ancient Egypt and I'd heard the display was good, dragging along the wife and teenage son (15). Family ticket - £3.50.

The car park is tiny and we were lucky to grab the last space, although it was also free. Nestled amongst university buildings the museum is unassuming from the outside and looks to be tiny, but inside the designers have made excellent use of the space to create a 4-storey museum that kept us occupied for a good 2 hours+ (and I would have happily stayed for longer).

The staff were very welcoming and gave us a good introduction to the museum and the layout.

As well as the Egyptian display (including real mummies) there are loads of Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Burmese and Himalayan artefacts. Many of the jade carvings in particular are simply stunning and I loved the various display cases and exhibits that had big "Open me" and "Touch me" stickers on them.

While it wasn't a problem for us, the catering facilities appeared to be limited to some chilled drinks and freeze-dried noodles. Not enough room for a cafe. That shouldn't put you off visiting, but it's worth being aware.

An excellent find and highly recommended.

1  Thank mwclarkson
See more reviews
Reviewed 18 December 2013

My daughter is obsessed by all things Japanese so I took her to the museum with a heavy heart. It only cost £1.50 per person and £2 for a photography pass and was an excellent couple of hours. I had been there when I was kid but only realised this when I got there. fascinating. The staff there were also excellent and very welcoming. My only complaint would be that it was a bit too pottery based (but that's a personal taste) and the bits on K-pop and Black Butler were a bit contrived but this is like complaining that there are a couple of Ok tracks on "Sgt Pepper." If you live in Durham and have not been there - go, you will not be disappointed.