“Inexpensive cafe, but really not as good as the hype”
Review of Treats Tea Room

Treats Tea Room
Ranked #1 of 6 Dessert in Durham
Cuisines: British, Cafe
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Award Winning -Treats Tea Shop is situated in Siver Street, Durham City, not far from Marks & Spencer and on the same side of the street as the Post Office: we are on the right hand side of The Bodyshop up a short flight of stairs: we assist with wheelchair access and pushchairs:All of our food is made on the premises from the very best of ingredients: our menu ranges from home made scones to large portions of home made cake to toasted sandwiches / paninis / jacket potatoes / soup/ salads / sandwiches etc... all of which are generously served with fresh salad,homemade coleslaw and hand cooked crisps... we make our own curry,chilli and lasagne and we cook our own hams and chicken fillets.. we also make our own tray bakes including mars bar,mint & orange aero,malteser,toffee popcorn,crunchy,rocky road and our own flapjacks.... our cakes include lemon/chocolate/carrot&walnut/victoria sandwich, we also do frangipan/homemade egg custard/apple pie/tea breads/lemon meringue etc.. we have a lovely choice..We only use the very best Ringtons tea and coffee which is Fairtrade and have a variety of soft drinks: we are also licensed to sell bottled beers/cans/wine/cider etc.. Our MilkShakes are made with real dairy ice cream - try our new Smores shake - Chocolate and toasted Marshmallow - delicious ...we are an independent coffee shop committed to providing quality food at a reasonable price whilst incorporating excellent customer service..we look forward to welcoming you to Treats Tea Shop... thank you
London, United Kingdom
“Inexpensive cafe, but really not as good as the hype”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The staff were very friendly and went out of the way to be helpful. However, the quality of the food was not what I was expecting. The quiche was good; but the chicken wrap I had was truly tasteless. Perhaps I am spoilt by the large numbers of fantastic cafés in London and that is what I was expecting. The hot chocolate and coffee were mediocre and caff quality. Very disappointing given all the positive reviews.

1 Thank SKD73
Hello:
Thank you for your review of our coffee shop: we hope you enjoyed your visit to Durham from London:
I'm sorry that you weren't impressed with your chicken wrap: we only use the best chicken fillets and all our sandwiches are served with mixed leaf salad / tomatoes / cucumber / red onion / homemade coleslaw / hand-cooked crisps... so I'm rather surprised that you thought it was 'truly tasteless'... we also offer mayonnaise / French dressing / chutney etc with all meals and there is olive oil and white wine vinegar on all tables... and all this for only £3.95... I'm sorry to disagree with you but I don't think you could get that in London !!.....
The quiche you mentioned is homemade and we only use the finest of ingredients and all our tea / coffee / hot chocolate is Ringtons which is expensive to buy in but of excellent quality:
Anyway everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect yours and I'll certainly always look to see where we can make improvements...

Barnsley, United Kingdom
“Well priced”
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Came here after visiting the passport office in Durham.
Our order consisted of an all day breakfast, a bacon sandwich which came with a full salad, and two teas, and it came to just short of a tenner. Not bad really. The breakfast was good, nothing special, the sausages were a little undercooked and the skin had started to shrivel which straight away puts me off.
As we left we ordered a piece of lemon cheese cake and a piece of banoffee pie to takeaway. Huge portions which look amazing. Tasted quite nice aswell.
All in all it was decent, I'd recommend it, I wouldn't make a special journey though.

Hi Andy:
Thank you very much for your review of Treats Coffee Shop, Durham:
We appreciate your comments and are pleased that you chose us on your recent visit to the Passport Office in Durham City:
We charge £3.95 for a breakfast which includes bacon/egg/sausages/black pudding/mushrooms/beans/tomato/toast and we believe this represents excellent value bearing in mind we only use locally produced Cumberland sausage, best back bacon, free range eggs, beans, tomato and Warburtons bread for toast... and you can have a pot of Ringtons tea with for only an extra 55 pence... so we're very proud of our all-day breakfasts and they are hugely popular...
Thanks for your comments and best wishes from everyone @ Treats Coffee Shop...
Durham, United Kingdom
“Delicious food at very reasonable prices”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Homemade quiches and cakes are delicious & large portions too. Free top up on coffee & tea, even when really busy. Very friendly & helpful staff, Nothing is a bother to them. A little gem of a cafe. They will do take outs too.

Visited May 2014
Hi Anne:
Thank you so much for your lovely review of Treats Coffee Shop, Durham:
Myself and the staff are very grateful for your kind comments and appreciate them very much:
Your comment:
''A little gem of a cafe''... means an awful lot to us and we're proud to be considered as such:
We look forward to welcoming back to Treats Coffee Shop very soon: please mention this review so that I can thank you in person for your lovely comments:
Best wishes from everyone @ Treats Coffee Shop:
Houghton-le-Spring, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Absolutely great food and service.”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I visited Treats in Durham on the spur of the moment after stumbling across it and I'm really glad I did. This is an awesome cafe that deserves high praise for it's food and service. I ordered the corned beef pie and chips which was collosal and tasted beautiful. I was shocked at the price and went back as I thought they had under charged me. I couldn't believe how cheap it was especially with the food being so good. The staff were very nice and the food was served really quickly. I was too full to try the cakes but they looked awesome. Maybe next time....

I will definitely go back and would certainly recommend this place to anyone.

Well done Treats!!!

Hi Lee:
It was very good of you to do such a nice review of our coffee shop and we appreciate it very much:
We're delighted that you enjoyed your food with us and that our staff were friendly and pleasant:
We're very competitive on prices and portions and like nothing better than pleasing our customers and seeing them leave refreshed and happy with our service:
Please mention this review to me the next time you visit so that I can thank you in person for your generosity:
Durham, United Kingdom
“Always a treat”

Hi:
On behalf of everyone @ Treats Coffee Shop can I thank you for your review and for saying:
''Always try and visit when in Durham City, excellent food and service, a little gem in Durham. Well worth a visit... ''
It was very good of you to say this about our café and we appreciate it very much:
If you visit the café again would you please mention this review so that I can thank you in person for your kindness...