“haddock superb !”

Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Take-away.
Reviewed 17 May 2014

called in on our last evening in durham,passed by in the afternoon really busy,so must be popular wasn't disappointed good friendly staff service even after a busy day,can recommend for good fish and chips cooked properly.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Spent a few hours in Durham City and left (once again) wishing we had more time to explore this great place. managed to have a short walk along the banks of the pretty river wear. A very short walk around the magnificent cathedral and eating the best fish and chips on a bench in the sun on a cobbled street from the amazing Bells Fish Restaurant. Best fish and chips I have ever had!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We recently visited Bells Fish Restaurant looking for good fish and chips on the way back to our hotel after visiting Sunderland. It was just what we were looking for, good service and generous portions. I tried battered salmon for the first time, superb! Why don't all fish and chip shops do it?

Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Ive lived in Durham for 30 yrs and never tried Bells.
After reading reviews i decided to drop in on Saturday.
Service was fast. However, the first thing i noticed was the fish was placed on top of your chips. This meant you have to lift it to put the salt and vinegar on your chips. The vinegar is obviously watered down as i drowned a chip in it and sucked it off to taste it.......no taste.
The batter was very chewy. Overall,not bad but had way better. Food was nice and cooked in clean oil.
Try Colmans at South Shields if you think Bells is good ...you'll be blown away!
I'll leave it another 30 years.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Upon entry to the restaurant, we noticed on the menu that all the products were cooked in beef dripping, and half of the party did not eat red meat. I didn't realise at the time that this meant we could barely eat anything from the menu, not even chips! The only fish option available to us was a poached cod and salad. I chose a chicken pie, which was mediocre and didn't seem fresh, and asked for my chips to be replaced with a bread roll, which I was then charged extra for.

It's fine to cook things in a traditional way but it's still necessary to have better options for a variety of dietary requirements. The idea of not being able to buy a cone of chips from a fish and chip shop because they don't prepare any of the chips in a Vegetarian manner blows me away, especially for a restaurant which receives such high reviews! Very disappointed that I wasn't able to actually sample the fish and chips and providing Pescatarian options really ought to be looked into.

8  Thank sabeprob