“Poor room”

Ranked #32 of 37 Durham B&B and Inns
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
“Poor room”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We had booked the City for two nights over the bank holiday weekend. I think from reading the other reviews that we were really unlucky with our room as nobody else has reviewed room 1. When we arrived there was only one lady on duty who had to deal with a busy bar and booking in guests. This was not her fault and she was very friendly and welcoming but we had to stand in the bar for ages with our bags while we waited until she'd finished serving drinks. Then the booking system was down so I had to find the booking on my iPad so she could refer to it. Again this was not her fault. We had booked a twin room as that was all that was available, but when we saw the room it was just horrible. It was a cramped odd shaped room where you could literally only fit the two single beds in an L shape and there was no space to move around the room. The beds were clean but the room was very sparce, and felt like a servants quarters out of Downton Abbey. The bathroom was horrible and tiny. There was a shower cubicle with the toilet crammed in behind it. There was no soap in the bathroom so we went down to reception to ask for it (no phone in the room) and it took almost an hour for one of the staff to bring a tiny piece of soap that fell apart in my hand when I opened the wrapper. We decided to only stay one night (as it was too late to find anywhere else and we'd agreed to meet a friend in town). I have to be fair and say that when I went downstairs to ask for a refund on the second night as we were disappointed with the room the lady who had checked us in was just leaving but she was really good and asked her colleague to refund the second night. I think she could see how disappointed we were when she showed us the room. We returned to the hotel we'd stayed at the previous night which was also a pub hotel so my problem is not with this type of hotel. I think the owners had shoved a couple of beds in a fairly unusable space and maybe the other rooms are better. We were just unlucky to get that room, but i can't give it any better than a poor review and I've marked it up from terrible as the lady we dealt with was lovely and they refunded our money for the second night without argument.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 1 unless you are a couple of lads on a stag do who just want to crash out &...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Brancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Really enjoyed the 4 nights we stayed as booked on the day of arrival ( Easter Monday ) , surprised we got in as everywhere else was full and expensive . The staff were brilliant and couldn't do enough to make our stay very welcoming and pleasant . Room ( No 2 ) was large , comfy and warm . Beer and food great , what more could you want . Would recommend this to anyone . Keep up the good work !!!

Rob and Ann V

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Robert V
Chesham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I have stayed many times in Durham in a variety of hotels / B & Bs and this has to rate as just about the best. Superb rooms, fantastic and helpful staff. The rooms are very well laid out with everything provided. I cannot fault the accommodation at all. Breakfast was generally very good although the only thing I can complain about is NO BEANS FOR BREAKFAST, must have beans, need beans.
Overall, very very good. I was even surprised that when I went to bed, I could not hear the lively noise from the bar.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank James B
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Booked this hotel for a double room on Saturday 26/04/2014 for the one night , arrived and checked in at the bar aprox 14.30 , so earlier than the 15.00 stated.Met by extremely freindly staff , and showed up to room and also was explained the keys for access and also shown the fire escape.The girl in question also offered on at least 3 occasions , any problems to let her no.Once in the room found it to be very clean and tidy and also spacious , recently refurbished , room 3 , My wife and I had a very good nights sleep and the room was warm. The hotel also supplied shampoo and shower gel. " very small adverse comments , The shower - due to a fixed screen you need to be carefull not to scold or freeze as you have to lean in to turn the taps on , also unfortunately on the morning of checking out there was no hot water. I mentioned this at check out and was told this was a problem within the hotel on the morning and they were investigating it and to be fair the radiator was warm , Think this was a genuine fault on the day. Keep up the good work , When next in Durham we would deffinately look to stay again.

Room Tip: No reason not to book room 3
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Neil B
Hull
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

Myself and my wife stayed for 1 night in this charming pub, we ate when we arrived and the menu and quality of food was outstanding. All the staff were very attentive and keen to help. I couldn't praise the food enough. The room was perfect and very well presented with fresh clean linen on the beds and ample towels were provided. Will defiantly stay again for a long weekend.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Paul G
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Having called in to enquire when the newly refurbished rooms would be available - I was impressed by the level of service offered by the member of staff, which included finding a taxi number for me. I had a fantastic New York deli style hot salt beef doorstop sandwich with the best beef dripping chips & my colleague had taste of the sea crispy fish basket which was well worth ditching the diet. As a frequent visitor to Durham I am eagerly anticipating the chance to try the rooms which, if they've improved as much as the pub & menu has should be well worth the wait. I will report back after my first stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Spamparker
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Stayed for one night on business in Durham, very tired room above a tired looking pub.
Had to pay with cash, they do not do breakfast, they could not give me a receipt at the time of paying and did not leave a receipt as promised when we left.. there was no one about when we left in the morning.
I would not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank wayne_kilby

Travellers are raving about these Durham hotels