“Split & Glory Ice Cream Parlour-Durham's best kept secret.”

Chapters Tea Rooms and Kitchen
Ranked #12 of 37 Quick Bites in Durham
Price range: US$3 - US$13
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Independent tearooms serving home made scones,cakes,breakfast and lunch, hand pressed Burgers,fresh sandwiches and salads. home made locally sourced fresh produce, serving fresh italian coffee beans hand crafted with a wide selection of tea
Reviewed 27 February 2013

I have finally discovered Durham's best kept secret today with a group of us from my course. Apparently not been open that long but I was surprised that I hadn't heard more about this amazing place! It's a great American style ice cream parlour/diner with funky features like a retro jukebox, black and white tiles and jazzy red leather furnishings. I felt transported to the US. To support the theme I chose 'The American Dream' sundae and it was exactly what the doctor ordered. Great icecream, great combinations and the milkshake I tasted wasn't bad either. Definitely an experience and I will be going again soon! What a treat and nothing like anywhere else in Durham. The only glitch is that you can't pay by card, but I have this problem all the time and should probably just carry more cash around more often.

2  Thank Annie_Ruth_B

Reviewed 27 February 2013

I've visited Chapters a few times and always been pleased with their food and service but today was my first visit to the ice cream parlour 'Split and Glory' upstairs. Great atmosphere and delicious range of sundaes with an option to create your own if you can't pick anything you like. Really nice little spot that I would highly recommend.

Reviewed 26 February 2013

Definitely worth a visit. They have got it all going on over three floors. A trip back in time and on the top floor there is a cool ice cream parlour where you can order every conceivable variety and concoction of gelato!

Date of visit: October 2012
chapters_tearooms, Manager at Chapters Tea Rooms and Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment we really appreciate it when someone takes the time out to leave a star rating
We are pleased you enjoyed your visit to our Tea rooms,and the exciting newly opened ice cream parlour and shake bar Split & Glory on our top floor
we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 18 February 2013

Took two students with me a treat for ice cream as it sounded ideal.
However, having found a seat and chosen from the ice cream menu, waited in the queue to order, we were then told we should be seated upstairs really ( although the menus were on the downstairs tables and did not see any signs directing us upstairs) but our order was taken and we awaited the delicious ice creams.
And waited
and waited
Banana split looked good but the coke float that arrived was for one and not the pitcher that we ordered. So we sent that back and waited and waited some more. Banana split eaten by that stage and when, eventually, our coke float arrived it was disappointingly all mixed in and quite flat... not the treat we had expected for £ 7.75. No separate ice cream could be tasted and it was not what I would call a coke float.
Shame as it promised to be a treat but turned out that we had to enjoy separately and I would not order this again.

1  Thank Kathy M

This is how a true ice cream float is served,you would not expect to be able to taste the ice cream seperatley,as the ice cream is added into the chosen soda to create the float,if the soda had been indeed 'flat' this would not have been served as no froth would have been visible to create the float
Our Split & Glory menus are Downstairs in Chapters to advertise our parlour,as you know we are not street level this is how a simple mix up between a single float and a float for two occurd.

as we have a very busy ice cream parlour and shake bar our staff are busy creating theese delicious treats and serving them within our parlour,This explains the small wait you had whilst the staff brought your treats downstairs into chapters

However we are pleased you enjoyed your banana split we hope you do come and visit our parlour soon.

Reviewed 9 February 2013

Just visited Split & Glory - the sundae bar at the top of Chapters. Great atmosphere and friendly service. We ordered 1 sundae, 2 milkshakes and a coffee which came to a very reasonable £13.75. The sundae was very generous in proportion - and there were lots of flavours and toppings to choose from. The milkshakes were delicious - the cookies and cream one was so enormous it defeated our 11 year old! A fantastic place for an afternoon treat.