“reasonable and quick!”
Review of Cafe Continental - CLOSED

Cafe Continental
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Cafe Continental is Located in the historic & Beautiful City of Durham. Open from 9am serving breakfasts, Lunch & Dinner with fantastic coffee & in a laid back atmosphere.
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Went to cafe continental for breakfast as we were in durham for the day. breakfast is served until a good time (12 noon) it was a good price, came quick, plenty of choice and tasted great- actually filled us up ALL day!

1  Thank christyg10

Reviewed 14 April 2014

We just finished lunch at this cafe, ordering a sandwich and two wraps.

15 minutes after ordering, the waitress said there were no more wedges, and would we mind chips with the wraps - we said that's fine. Another 15 minutes of waiting til our food arrived, making 30 mins in total. The cafe wasn't full.

My prawn sandwich with Marie Rose sauce was a prawn and mayonnaise sandwich - no Marie Rose at all. The sandwich doesn't come with crisps or anything. My husband's side salad was going off, and had gone all squishy and gross like it was leftover from the weekend. Our small cokes were half pints poured from a bigger bottle, so it wasn't as fresh as a can.

The service was really bad. At no point did they apologise for the 30 minute wait for three sandwiches, nor did they acknowledge the fact that they didn't provide a prawn and Marie Rose sandwich. At over £4 for the sandwich, I would definitely have expected more.

We paid just over £22 for some medicore wraps, the wrong sandwich, and three half pints of semi-flat coke, having waited 30 minutes in a cafe that wasn't busy.

There are SO many better places to go in Durham - Flat White, Leonard's, even Greggs will do a better sandwich at a better price. Don't bother going here, the service isn't even with a smile.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

This restaurant is a little gem to find, just at the end of elvet bridge, an amazing display of homemade cakes, which are always tempting and delicious! Their menu is HUGE and offers so much choice, which is always a struggle to choose, especially from their homemade special’s menu as well ! I recently had the homemade chicken pie and was not disappointed – its was huge ! Not only that but amazing value for money, not the mention the friendly and helpful staff where nothing is too much trouble!
Will definitely be visiting again, when I’m in Durham this is my first stop.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

A great view of the river and friendly staff. But I have found that I don't really like their coffee.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Went here as we were just passing by, we had never previously been to Durham before & thought it looked like a nice little spot for some lunch. The best thing about our visit was the service, the young waitress was lovely and friendly. Apart from that me and my partner didn't think much of this place. The set up is really annoying, there is one main front door leading to two separate doors - one for upstairs & one for downstairs, we sat downstairs which has a front door which doesn't shut properly so as you can imagine we started to get quite cold. It's very small & cramped, and when the food was being brought from upstairs the waitresses could barely open the door without it banging into chairs. The food was bland, nothing to rave about. The chips certainly weren't 'homemade.' If I went back to Durham I certainly wouldn't be inclined to give this place another try.