“evening meal”

Market Tavern
Ranked #47 of 317 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours
Description: Durhams second oldest pub and the only pub in the market place. We pride ourselves in having a range of local and national cask ales, craft beers in draught and bottle and great traditional food. Open 11am-11pm Sunday- Thursday 11am-1am Friday & Saturday Food served from 12pm Daily
Reviewed 21 February 2014

hadn't visited Durham before and popped in here for a quick evening meal after a long journey-staff were very friendly and helpful-the menu is limited-we had house burgers and they were very good and reasonably priced.The atmosphere was comfortable and we passed a pleasant evening.

There are newer reviews for Market Tavern

Reviewed 4 February 2014

I have been coming to Durham for 3 years now on business. The Tavern is a welcoming place that has intetesting beers and a varied atmosphere depending on when you go in. The CodFather is the best fish & chips in town.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

After spending an hour wandering aimlessly around the shops we decided it was time for a re charging of our batteries. As soon as I approached the bar and saw draught Peroni I knew I had found the ideal place.
Then we decided to peruse the menu, my wife decided to try the Nachos with pulled pork and I was tempted into the burger with pulled pork.
The food was excellent, well presented and filling. The burger was absolutely spot on and certainly worth trying.
The staff are very friendly and the whole place has a relaxing feel to it. It was a difficult choice but we eventually decided not to abandon the car and shopping to spend the afternoon sat here.
Well worth a visit.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

We visited this pub during a weekend visit to Durham for my hubbies 50th birthday. He loved it and so did I. It reminded us of the Beehive pub in Liverpool where we use to go when we were younger. It has a lovely open fire which feels very welcoming on a cold January night. It was very busy and has a real buzz about the place. The people in Durham are so friendly. The couple opposite noticed us trying to take a selfie photo and offered to take it for us and started asking us where we were from and if we were enjoying it.

The seating is unusual as you walk in and there is also nice outdoor seating which I am sure in summer would be great for watching the world go by. Would recommend.

Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

Spent a perfectly pleasant couple of hours in here, having a couple of beers from the list of 5 ales available and some dinner. Food was standard pub fare, nothing exceptional but plentiful, promptly served and tasty enough. Ambience was good, not that busy but a mixture of groups enjoying themselves.