“"Just for a change"”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“"Just for a change"”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Went for an early bite to eat with a mate, ordered our food and drink, didn't wait too long and our food arrived, pleasantly prepared with all the condiments were on the table, I had ordered Rump steak (M) however when it arrived it was well done, so I spoke to the staff and it was changed without a quibble, I was informed it may take a little time, and this was understandable, my friend had the Burger that also looked nice, all in all a nice place to eat at a good price, with friendly staff, I wouldn't hesitate to go again, when next in the area.... ;-)

• Visited April 2014

Durham, United Kingdom
“Decent pub lunch ”
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

We stopped in here for a spot of lunch before going in to Durham to take my visiting brother in law for some sight seeing.
We only had a main course each but it was very nice. Filling and nicely presented.
Standard pub grub but well done.
Good service, reasonable pricing and very friendly staff.
Recommended.

England
“Consistently good food and beer”
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

We don't eat out a great deal but when we do we often pop along to the Duke of Welly. We go because its relaxed, bar and waiters are efficient and the food and beer are consistently good. We tend to have meat based fayre often having steak and chips. Steak is generally tasty, chips tend to, if I recall be of the oven variety. They have good side portions (included in the price) such as onion rings/mushrooms.

Occasionally have a pudding which tends to be good.

If you want fine dining this isn't the place for you however if you want consistently good food in a relaxed but smart pub check out the Duke of Wellie. We'll be back.

Durham
“Minnow & chips-NOT LARGE COD”
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

This is a handy chain pub which is usually a bit better than other chain pubs - being Friday I ordered " Large Cod & Chips" @ £9.20 it wasn't cheap - I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw the minuscule fish which was a tail end measuring about 10 cm long including the batter, it couldn't even be classed a a pensioners portion. When I complained to the waitress , she was quick to offer me something else off the menu ( which is why I awarded 2 stars instead of one) as the rest of the party had started their meal, I declined as I didn't want to eat when they were finished. The waitress went on to explain that the cook takes the first fish out of the box & some are bigger than others. I was a bit sceptical of this simply because these chain pubs which can be likened to McDonalds have every portion exactly the same no matter where you are in the country, sure enough when I went to pay the bill I spotted 2 portions of fish & chips passing on the way to someone else exactly the same size as the one I sent back - a mega rip off . The menu description is totally misleading , it might be some time before I return.

On the positive side the other meals ate by the members of my party were as discribed

Durham, United Kingdom
“Still consistantly good”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

returned for sunday lunch. it was good, quite tasty and a generous portion. staff all very friendly. reasonably quick service and price not too steep. my only complaint was that the beef was a little on the chewy side, however I would normally have gone for the chicken, but there was none left. Saying that it was quite late in the afternoon and I was surprised they were till serving sunday dinner. Still very good.

• Visited January 2014