“Disgusting food, dirty pub.”
Review of New Board Inn

New Board Inn
Ranked #63 of 305 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Durham, United Kingdom
“Disgusting food, dirty pub.”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I recently visited this place for a family event. We had been before and we were not impressed but did not want to let other members of the family down so went again. This time it was DIRE! Thankfully none of the group wanted starters so we went straight in with mains. The menu while very extensive seems to be the same dishes with various different sauces/additions. I had the "Hunters chicken" which turned out to be a flattened pre-cooked chicken breast with a slice of bacon and some grated cheese on top and then shoved under a grill. The result was inedible. It was dry, tough and tasteless. My partner had the "Pepper chicken" which consisted of pieces of pre-cooked chicken breast in a bowl with what appeared (and tasted) to be condensed mushroom soup poured on the top with lots and lots of ground black pepper added. this whole concoction had then been microwaved to make it hot. This was also completely inedible. Both plates came with a huge amount of what looked like hand cut chips which were soaked in oil and disgusting. In fact the only edible part of the meal was the small salad garnish which accompanied the food. Thankfully no one in the party wanted dessert so we didn't have to pretend to eat anything else. The "meal" was paid for and so as we were guests I did not want to make a scene and complain. Suffice to say that we will never return as I think that is probably the worst dining experience that I have ever had,
Oh, I forgot to mention that the décor is tired, the place looked and felt dirty and the waitress was surly and we had to get our own drinks from the bar. If I could score this minus then I would give it -10! Never, ever again.

• Visited May 2014
7 Thank Eddie732
Jamesgreenley, Owner at New Board Inn, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
We don't usually respond to reviews good or bad but in this case i have to make a exception because of the false content in your review.
-Yes our menu is extensive but to say its all the same dishes is completely false if you have a look at our menu online at www.thenewboardinn.co.uk you can see his is not the case.
-You had the Hunters chicken which you say was flattened pre cooked chicken breast with a slice of bacon and grated cheese on top, well firstly the 8oz chicken breast is butterflyed, secondly a hunters chicken is chicken, bacon, bbq and cheese so if there is another way please let me know? Also none of our meals are pre cooked everything on the menu is done fresh to order that is what we pride ourselves on.
-Pepped chicken which what your partner had again the chicken was cooked fresh, you say it was in a condensed mushroom soup type sauce with black pepper on the top, the sauce you partner had was called peppercorn sauce not mushroom.
-You mention that the pub was dirty and dated, if you look at the pictures we are a old building and all the furniture is in keeping with the character of the pub and is kept in a high order of cleanliness.I honestly believe this review is someone trying to damage our good reputation.

Castleside, England, United Kingdom
“great friendly pub”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

had a lovely bar meal, staff are lovely and friendly always asking if everything is ok, meal was great value for money, will defenately be back

• Visited April 2014
Thank Johanna N Micha... F
Durham, UK
“Lovely lunch”
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

I visited last week For a spot of lunch with friends. Arrived just after noon and pub very quiet. Order taken fairly promptly. Our meals were delicious and three clean plates handed back to the kitchen.
Highly recommend.

Great Britain
“Top class menu and excellent service.”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

If you want to choose a meal from an extensive menu, then this is the place to go. There is a big choice and there will be something to suit everyone. We have never been disappointed by our meal here and they serve the best chips I have ever tasted!

There is also a good children's menu for £3.95. Our young guest very much enjoyed the chicken nuggets which appeared to be home made from tender chicken and proper batter.

The sweets are also excellent and I particularly enjoyed the cheesecake.

The view from the windows is lovely and you can see for miles. Well worth a visit.

• Visited April 2014
Co Durham
“All aboard:-)”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Went there recently with my partner on a quiet Sunday evening.
Loved the pub itself, which is an olde worlde stylee pub, with an amazing view over Langley park and the surrounding area.
Got a table without a hitch, as it was very slack, however was assured by the server that an average Sunday carvery can pull around 300 covers.
Lovely, varied menu, that I reckon would just about cater for all tastes; I chose the sizzler while my partner plumped for the 10oz sirloin. Both meals were absolutely beautiful, piping hot, plenty of it, and good quality produce. They even have REAL chips, just like mamma used to make. My sizzler was chock full of plump and juicy chicken, which was without exception perfect. My partners steak was again really good quality, tender, juicy, and just what a steak is supposed to be.
We had a pud between us; again it ws a home made delight, and full of flavour.
The staff were lovely, very attentive, and we will definitely be coming back.
This place serves good, honest grub, in lovely surroundings, just wonder how long it will take to work our way through the menu :-) Thanks for restoring my faith in pub cuisine :-)
Oh almost forgot to mention how reasonably priced it was!

• Visited March 2014