“Outstanding Inn”

Three Horseshoes Inn
Ranked #15 of 40 Durham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I was in need of value accommodation in the Durham area and certainly came up trumps with the Three Horseshoes. Outstanding Inn on the outskirts of Durham city ( about 3 miles or so). The sleeping accommodation was fantastic, with all facilities provided including free WIFI. Unusually, toiletries were also provided which was a nice touch. The staff were brilliant, so friendly and welcoming. Special thanks must go to Katie, an excellent member of staff, always smiling and friendly, even when serving breakfast early morning!!!
The evening meal menu was impressive with all tastes and budgets accounted for. Brilliant choice, great ingredients and all well cooked.
The only down side of my trip was the amount of traffic noise from the small but fairly busy road at the front of the hotel. I am lucky as I can sleep through noise but may well be off=putting to a more light=sleeper. Overall, a superb stay at a superb venue. Highly recommended and I can't wait to stay again,

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 14 August 2014

My partner and I stayed in the Three Horseshoes in July 2012 en route to Scotland and, returning home from Scotland last week, I decided to reserve a room again. I found my one night stay as comfortable as before, the lady of the inn was just as welcoming, my room was comfortable, the shower was efficient, the food and ale were excellent. At dinner I made the mistake of ordering a starter as well as main course; I should have remembered that the main courses are huge! As was the case of another recent contributor I, too, left some food but that was not because of the quality, more the case of quantity! Breakfast could be ordered from an extensive menu and was excellent, served by very efficient and attentive members of staff. My second visit; if using the A1 to Scotland again I'd have no hesitation in staying at the Three Horseshoes Inn again.

Room Tip: On two occasions I've had rooms in the front of the Inn, no problems!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Easy to find location; staff pleasant. Family room for 3 was a bit tight but adequate for our needs. I will say that the rooms are due for some renovation; furniture is not in the best of shape and the lighting needs work. Internet access did not extend as far as our rooms, but our host was attentive and apologetic. Breakfast very good, especially the out-size kipper. Beds were comfortable. Would stay here again. Location on the south side of Durham is excellent for travelers headed South. Visited Durham in the day and overnighted here, we were already along the route taking us to our next destination.

Room Tip: B&B is above the pub. People will smoke and chat in the parking lot outside one's windows...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Really lovely place to stay , we spent one night here in July & had two rooms .Sara & Martin & badger the dog :-) made us all very welcome, rooms were very clean we had one room at the front & one room at the back, my husband & son really enjoyed breakfast , it was excellent & plentiful , all staff were friendly & helpful . We would recommend this lovely old place to all . Thank you for making are first trip to Durham one we will all remember :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Room Tip: The rooms at the back have better views & seem much quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Really good place to stay - good location near to Durham and plenty of parking space. Rooms ensuite and very comfortable. Great breakfast included in price and good variety of evening meals available. Very helpful and friendly staff - would thoroughly recommend .

Room Tip: As on main road - possibly best to have a room at the back
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I visited yesterday for lunch. The food was disgusting. Soggy part raw chips. Over cooked peas and carrots and the sauce my beef was in was at best tepid. The portion size was massive, but I'd have preferred quality over quantity.
The photo shows what the 2 of us left.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Richard R
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed for only one night in June this year which was a pity as if our schedule would have allowed we would have stayed longer the Three Horseshoe Inn was a Fantastic place not far from Durham Great food Friendly staff would recommend if your looking for somewhere to stay in the vicinity nice clean rooms and restaurant with great menu breakfast included in price only 10 minutes drive to the city of Durham . I would not hesitate to stay there again if I'm was in or around Durham

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County
The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Bowes Incline Hotel
Bowes Incline Hotel
#9 of 20 in Gateshead

Been to Three Horseshoes Inn? Share your experiences!