“Special Unwanted Features”

Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Special Unwanted Features”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I usually stay at the Old Mill at Iron Bridge which is excellent but this place was dreadful in comparison.I was posted' in room 27 on the 2nd floor with very dodgy plumbing with a whiff of sewage when you flushed away any water and you needed a pair of stillcens to turn on the cold tap.The room was very 1970's and at first I thought it was the Locksmiths Convention night when I tried to enter the room with the extra none used lock. the staff were all very enthusiastic and the Breakfast Lady Particularly.also on a lighter note there was also a little old Man looking back at me when i looked in the Bathroom mirror

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Amydog1949

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Potentially very good. The location was very handy for visiting local clients. The room was comfortable and clean.
Restaurant and bar area were very pleasant. Food, drink and service here were very good.
The downside: On arrival, I was a bit surprised by a brusque demand to pay for the whole week in advance; before I'd even seen the room. Decided to take the stay day by day at that point.
The thermostat on the shower didn't work; allowing only cold water through. I mentioned this to reception in the morning, but nothing had been done by my return in the evening. Not even the offer of a room transfer. Decamped to a chain competitor across town.
Got the impression of young staff, not under tight control.
To maintain credibility with business customers, I would advise refitting the rooms. (They could charge a bit more then as well.)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Tyes_Dad
Clackmannan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2013

My wife and i spent a short 2 day break in Durham area and stayed at Bowburn Hall.
The hotel is ideally situated just off the A1(M) and although it is surrounded by a private housing estate it is situated in its own grounds and private gardens with lots of free parking.
The room we had was smaller than we were used to but was comfortable and had everything we could need at hand. The bed was comfortable and there was a super shower/bath.
The staff we met were all young but extremely pleasant, friendly, and helpful. We ate both nights in the hotel and found the choice and quality of the food available to be reasonably priced and of a very high standard, (although my wife thought servings were too big, no complaints from me)
Overall we found the hotel was very clean, the decor suits the age of the building and for us only added to its charm.

Room Tip: Ask for room on ground or 1st floor as the stairs to the 2nd floor rooms are very narrow when carryi...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Twoofusbones
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night with my wife. We often visit The Bowburn for bar meals, drinks etc but we'd never actually stayed there, so one night we decided we would! What a disappointment. Room we had was old, shabby and well past it's sell by date. Bed linen was like a grannies curtain, carpet was dirty and well worn. If the other rooms are like this they all need a big overhaul. We paid £85 for one night and although we'll keep coming back for bar meals we won't be staying over again until some serious money has been spent updating the rooms.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank SuperSonic1979
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2013

On my way to Scotland I needed an hotel just off the A1(M) and close to Durham and found a reference to Bowburn Hall. It is situated in the middle of a very uninteresting residential 'town'/village, not far from Durham and I really had no idea what to expect. What I found was a truly remarkable little hotel that was really excellent value for money - £64 dinner, b&b when I stayed on two separate occasions in 2011/12.
This is not an all singing all dancing de luxe 5-star hotel. It is not even a full featured 4-star resort hotel - in fact in has few amenities. What it does have is charm, excellent en-suite bedrooms (one with a 4-poster), friendly service and exceptional value for money. All I need now is a good excuse to stay there again sometime!

Room Tip: There is one at least with a four poster!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank David K
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2013

We take our son,daughter in law and two grandchildren there quite often. There is always a varied menu and specials on.
The conservatory is very good when you have got children with you, as they can play safely outside on the grassed area.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Durham, UK
Reviewed 26 April 2013 via mobile

Called here for a meal on a Saturday evening. Managed to get a seat in the conservatory overlooking the garden. Good choice of food on the menu and specials board. Food and service are really good, my only gripe is that the burgers are served on wooden blocks which is something I'm not a big fan of. Sunday lunches here are also very nice!

• Stayed April 2013