“Can't understand the bad reviews at all!!!!”
Review of Sambuca

Sambuca
Ranked #46 of 309 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$7 - US$26
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Sambuca Durham is a vibrant and welcoming Italian Restaurant where friends and family can gathered together in a relax atmosphere. Unbeatable both value and food quality delivered by a very committed, competent and friendly staff.
“Can't understand the bad reviews at all!!!!”
Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

Well today I visited Sambuca for approximately the 5th time and I can't understand the negative reviews!!! I chose this restaurant to go to with some very special friends from down South who were passing through Durham on their way to Scotland. This was an important meal to me and I chose Sambuca as I knew we'd have a great time, that the children would be happy (the waiters are great with them) and the food would be great! The people who say the good is what you would expect for the cheap prices..??? No idea where these people normally eat but the food here is lovely and good sized portions - not had one unsatisfactory meal. The waiters go all out to ensure everyone is happy and enjoying themselves and my guests and I left very very happy, infact the gentleman I was with said he wishes there was a Sambuca near to them!
Will be back again in the not so distant future :-)

• Visited May 2013
Jose P, Manager at Sambuca, responded to this review, 18 August 2013
Dear Nicole,

I will like to thank you both for your time in writing a review and for your kind comments. We are very please to hear that we have not disappointed you or your friends on your visits to Sambuca Durham. We do understand that it is very difficult to accommodate and please everybody, but that is the aim and we only can thank to our customers for any feedback that will help us to become better.

Kind regards,

Jose

“fabulous”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

great place for all the family to enjoy. Food is great, service excellent, price amazing......what more do you need.....go & try......

• Visited August 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Quite disappointed”
Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

The food was what you expect for the cheap price you pay. The staff was very friendly and seemed happy to help. The restaurant was noisy and was full of younger children running around. I would reccomend this restaraunt to someone who likes over lively ad rather noisy atmospheres. However this is not a place for a romantic date!!

Visited August 2013
Jose P, Manager at Sambuca, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Dear Sandra,

I couldn't agree more with you, unless you are expecting over 150 extra guests to your romantic party. We are definitely a very busy venue catering for friends, family and parties as well as couples...but we are noisy...sorry. Please, contact me personally and I will make sure that your romantic evening goes not overlooked,
Kind regards,
Durham, United Kingdom
“Sunday lunch but for staff only”
Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

We have been to Sambuca a number of times and if you want a reasonable meal at a good price then you can't really beat it
But if you want a Sunday lunch by that I mean beef/lamb yorkshiresetc. then you need to be quick.At 3pm this Sunday it had all gone which is often the case however when we left at 4 pm there were at least 6 members of staff at the very front of the restaraunt just being served, you guest it,Sunday roasts etc.We were sat next to 2 other couples who had come for Sunday lunch as well and were complaining about it not being available I think Sambuca has got complacent, I don't think the customer is that important these days.they need to pull their socks up before its too late!

Visited August 2013
Jose P, Manager at Sambuca, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Dear 800Barry,

Thank you for your comment on trip advisor forum. I am so sorry that you feel that we feed our staff what should be offer to our customers, the one and only purpose of our business. On Sundays, until we do get the consistency that a business needs in order to offer fresh products - not frozen goodies left from the previous \Sunday- we sometimes run out of some items earlier than we expect, but again, we are trying to get the offering and the consistency wright. Our staff policy is that they deserved a break and two meals a day after looking after all our customers, even working that extra cliché mile, they do love looking after you guys and entertain you whilst you are at Sambuca. May be veg, may be just chicken...not your well deserve comfy sunday lunch, Thanks . Hope your employers look after your needs. Sorry, feeling a bit touchy now after serving an average of 3000 customers a week with a well feed and drill team, sorry again. Please, let me now how aggravated you were/are for using our so, so cheap, and unbeatable stablishment. P.S: I can really show how our shocks were at 11 pm on Sunday evening....thanks............
“cheap”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

soo cheap what do you expect really. food eatable and at that price -good really. always mega busy cant park the car. lots of choice on the menu's i always stick with potato wedges and the steak strips and chilli pasta which is nice. but last time i got the anti-pasto to start - vile `- it was anything they could muster up in a bowel.

• Visited August 2013
Jose P, Manager at Sambuca, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Dear Crantok,

Thanks for your time. It is very difficult to organise parking space for over 400 customers a day even if we do have one of the biggest free parking spaces in the area and we are definitely affordable, that is the ethos of this company and perhaps that is why we are also so popular and unpretentious. I feel like we have let you down after all the visits you have paid to us, even if we are cheap. We do try to keep with our formula and we do understand that some customers will disagree with a full house of family and friends enjoying good value and quality food served for a very welcoming and friendly front of house, no uniforms though, yet. Please, do not hesitate to contact me for any further comments you may have. Kind regards