“Very good food and very cheap”
Review of Sambuca

Sambuca
Ranked #51 of 305 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$6 - US$25
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Sambuca Durham is a vibrant and welcoming Italian Restaurant where friends and family can gathered together in a relax atmosphere. Unbeatable both value and food quality delivered by a very committed, competent and friendly staff.
Durham
“Very good food and very cheap”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Visited on a Saturday night as a couple. Could not book a table prior to visiting as they only take bookings for bigger parties. We only had to wait about 15 minutes for a table so it was ok.

The prices are so cheap I was expecting really poor food. We were however pleasantly surprised. I had garlic mushrooms which were lovely. My husband had garlic prawns which were ok but a bit rubbery. I then had fillet steak with peppercorn sauce( £11.95 which is an unbelievably cheap price). Steak was lovely. My husband had a sirloin which he said was nice. The steak came with chips and if I went again I would order a side dish of veg or salad. We shared tiramisu which was nice as many places seem not to know how to make this. Drink prices very reasonable as well.

For the money we paid this meal was excellent and the atmosphere very good. We will be returning in the future

Durham, United Kingdom
“Good Value for Money”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

A bit of a wait - but it was very busy, Food ok for the price, drinks reasonable. Very loud - ok for groups, such as birthdays etc - waiters a little familiar!

Jose P, Manager at Sambuca, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Dear Dynahmite,

Thank you ever so much for your post. I do appreciate your understanding on the waiting time and your comments on the value for money offering. I do agree with you on the loud part of your review...it can be amazingly busy and vibrant sometimes....like today, awesome. I do appreciate that depending on your mood or occasion it could be a bit noisy. We do have some sit capacity that when full stem it becomes a party atmosphere. Hope it won't stop you for coming back to us. About the waiting staff being a bit to friendly...let me deal with them, please.

Kind regards,

Jose
Presron, England
“noisy oily food”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I had chicken with salad. chicken came dripping with oil in a bad way, was a nice flavour but average. salad was tasteless iceberg and cuvumber, but also covered in water, which killed any residue of flavour. place was very loud, and full of teenagers getting drunk while eating pizza

1 Thank Loztastic
Jose P, Manager at Sambuca, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Hi Loz,

Hope you are ok and enjoying a quite and oiless chicken somewhere in the adult world where people do not eat pizza and definitely do not get merry. I could not find the riddle to the noisy oily food. I guess that your choice of chicken was Kiev...garlic and butter...ok until then...I hope that the chicken was already cook...with no intention to answer back to your dinner needs. I think you did try to emphasise that our restaurant is full of people that gather and have a pretty good time, sure, sorry just a bit slow sometimes...but rest for sure that we do not allow teenagers to get DRUNK in our premises for very obvious reasons...license...and common sense
“Absolutely average”
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

Looks nice, vibrant. An excellent choice for a noisey hen / birthday party. Otherwise - its loud, very average food, deserts very disappointing. Tiramisu was squirty cream between two slices of sponge! Cant really argue on price though. Would only return if I was forced at gunpoint. Sorry.

2 Thank TroffingTravelers
Scotland
“Very noisy and pretty dull food”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Biggest moan first - the noise is utterly unbearable. Incessant, loud music, people shouting over the top of it to make themselves heard, lots of families with children. All of which might be tolerable if the food were anything other than underflavoured and overcooked (steaks like shoe leather and boiled veggies of the old school - yellow Brussels sprouts, need we say more.)

Ate there simply because we were staying at the Travelodge attached and it was the easy option. In hindsight, should have gone to Wetherspoons at the other end of Claypath. Yeah, 'Spoons may not be gourmet central but a load better than this place and cheaper.

2 Thank 3fr5
Jose P, Manager at Sambuca, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Dear 3fr5,

I will like to thank you for taking your time in writing a review about your experience at Sambuca Durham. I couldn't agree with you more about how busy and noisy we could sometimes be, specially weekends, due to friends and family joining in a shamelessly party mood. What truly disappoint me more is the fact that you didn't enjoy your food, especially our quite famous Fillet Steaks for £12.95 including sauces and side orders of fresh vegetables. We could only be more than happy to rectify what was wrong with your food and offer you a suitable option. Sorry to hear that you will rather prefer another venue than eat at Sambucas again.
Thanks again for your time,

Kind regards,