“Terrible”

Price range: US$6 - US$26
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Sambuca Durham is a vibrant and welcoming Italian Restaurant where friends and family can gathered together in a relax atmosphere. Unbeatable both value and food quality delivered by a very committed, competent and friendly staff.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

served a table but none of the staff knew about it. Tables which we were seated at were covered in food crumbs, as if it hadn't been cleaned. Communication poor with staff as had 3 members of staff ask to order drinks. When receiving food orders some were delayed and side orders missed off.
Won't be returning in a hurry at all.

1 Thank Alison R

“Frequent vistor”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Lovely food and atmosphere! Couldn't fault. 5*. Frequent vistor to different Sambucas around the north east and I'm never let down. Next visit is Wednesday :)

• Visited July 2014
“Absolutely Disgusting!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Went for a family birthday on saturday 2nd Aug 2014. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!! The service was rubbish. If you order together you expect to eat together dont you? Well at Sambucas NO you dont!!! 4 out 5 starters arrived 2 of which were wrong, by the time this was rectified the first 2 had been eaten, had to ask for the 5th starter a few times. On one of the corrected starters my husband found a black bug crawling all over his salad YUK!!!!!! After finally catching the attention of the waiter, incidentally we had 4 different waiters, he took the plate away. We asked to speak to the chef, but he refused to come out of the kitchen, but we were told that we could go and speak to him, BIG MISTAKE!!!! No customer service!!!!! My son in law, who is a fully qualified chef, went and spoke to him asked him questions about the preparation of the salad etc to which the chef replied this conversation is over!!!! Cheeky buggar!!! When we approached the manager his customer service was equally rubbish, he wasn't really interested and we were told to, and i quote, "go and write a complaint in that book over there", charming!!!!! His only defence for the restaurant was that they serve 2500 meals a week, NOT relevant to our complaint at all. They restaurant chain have a main company facebook page, so i wrote on that but surprise surprise they deleted my comment and blocked me from writing anymore. So i went onto their facebook page for the Durham Restaurant and left my comments on there! Let see how long it takes them to delete and block me on that one. Once again demonstrating appalling customer service!!!! On the Sambuca Durham page you will also see a photograph that they themselves have posted, showing raw meat being put onto a grill on top of and beside cooked meat YUK!!! Now if thats not a health hazard i dont know what is but they seem proud enough to advertise!!!! They have a County Council Hygiene Rating of only a SATISFACTORY 3 so they arent that good!!!!! NEEDLESS TO SAY WE WILL NOT BE RETURNING, WE HAVE INFORMED OUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY TO AVOID THE PLACE, AND WE WILL BE MAKING A FORMAL COMPLAINT TO THE ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH OFFICE. So dear visitors to Durham, avoid this place, if you value your health, there are plenty of other great places to eat in and around Durham!!!!

• Visited August 2014
6 Thank JW201456
Durham, United Kingdom
“Awful do not go here! ”
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Food here is not great however the service is terrible! Been here 2/3 times before for birthdays etc. at 16 years of age a was taken to a table and sat down with my sister and her friend both 13 and then got told about 10mins later that we where too young to eat in this restaurant and was told I had to leave straight away! I wouldn't care if I was told at the door and I had eaten in this restaurant at 14/15 years old with friends before! I will never go again and your management is shocking. You have lost my business!

5 Thank Enya R
“Disgusting”
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Visited a few months ago with friends, not normally one to write bad reviews but felt the need to do so. Service of drinks was prompt but that was all that was good. Opted to have a three course menu. My seafood salad starter was awful, seafood very frozen. Chose sirloin Santana for mains as it's not hard to cool a steak medium, however was very wrong, steak well done and burnt on the outside. A waiter went past and even commented on the state of my steak, chuckling but not offering to resolve the meal. Dessert was supposedly a cheesecake, but was more like a tiny mousse on a sponge base. I know it's cheap but come on, so many better Italians in Durham that charge the same but what you get is fresh and cooked properly, with service with a smile!

3 Thank Leighb1291