“Very disappointing”

Ebony Champagne Bar
Ranked #19 of 305 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Bar, British, Wine Bar, International, Contemporary
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Drinks, Breakfast, Brunch, After-hours, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Chester, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Ordered two white wine spritzers...could not taste the wine..very watered down. complained to the barman but he did not want to know. very rude staff. will not go there again.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank susan h

Durham, United Kingdom
“Rude staff”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Saturday 26th July - served by young woman who didn't greet me in any way. When I ordered a glass of champagne she corrected me abruptly. Asked for other drinks including absolute. Was told they would have to go downstairs for this - she did offer to bring it to the table but said I would wait. One of the other drinks I asked for was poured missing the glass giving a short measure. Another woman returned and said they had no absinth but she could do me a sambuka. I said I had asked for absolute vodka - the rest of the bar staff sniggered and the young woman who had first served me turned to the till and said in a hostile tone "he definitely asked for absinth". The other woman then said "you owe us one pound fifty then" which again caused sniggers from the rest of the staff. No apology for the mistake or the delay. Left the bar feeling very annoyed but let it go as we were out enjoying ourselves. The bar staff continually clear your table which meant having to say I wasn't finished with a drink and asking for it back - this has happened before. When you go in this bar there is usually a mood between the bar staff and yesterday they seemed to be at odds with each other. This wouldn't have happened (I think) if the usual manageress was in.
Left the bar and went to Whisky River for our meal - excellent bar staff (good manners) far nicer setting.

7 Thank SVERIGE91
Durham, United Kingdom
“Love the atmosphere”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Whenever us girls go out this is where we go we like a nice drink in a nice bar where it is comfortable seats and a nice atmosphere so we can have a catch up and gossip. We often go Sat afternoons if its nice you can sit outside. The staff are always friendly and some in particular go above & beyond the job description. The drinks menu is fab and the food delicious especially Ebony's Ploughmans Platter to share! Why would you go anywhere else?

Redcar, United Kingdom
“afternoon tea in style”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Celebrated my 40th bday afternoon tea with my girlfriends. Excellent value , excellent service and fab atmosphere. Cocktails were delicious , bar staff and waiter service excellent. The manageress is very professional and cant do enough for you to ensure your visit is memorable. Overall a little gem of a place and excellent for all ages , couples and groups of friends. Highly recommend if you are visiting durham. We reserved the booth as you walk into the bar on the left, best seat in the house !!

Darlington, United Kingdom
“Saturday in the sunshine”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Me and the lovely wife popped in for a glass of champagne , I had a pint of Moretti . Great place . Very very busy .

1 Thank Joe D